Forums

Help › Forums

need some putter advice

Tue, Apr 21 2020 9:42 AM (11 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Kevin08126
    11 Posts
    Thu, Feb 13 2020 4:33 PM

i am playing currently at level 87. I am using a sabre putter (L59).In someone's opinion, would a gain of +2 in balance be worth the tradeoff in losing 2 tenths of a point in precision and 1 point in forgiveness? The putter I really want isn't available until level 98 and when I looked up xp's to get there it might bee another 2 years. So in the mean time anyone have any advice?

• Robert1893
    7,652 Posts
    Thu, Feb 13 2020 6:23 PM

My advice would be to keep the putter for now and upgrade the irons. The irons you currently have are medium trajectory. I would upgrade to the Callaway Apex 19 (Level 85) irons. Not only are they high trajectory, but the have better precision and spin than your current irons.

I think the new irons would help improve scoring more than a different putter. The putter you currently have is pretty good. But I assume you're looking at the Scotty Cameron (Level 70) putter. It's a great putter. But I don't think it would be a game changer like the upgraded irons would be. 

Others may have a different take. 

• Kevin08126
    11 Posts
    Thu, Feb 13 2020 7:38 PM

thanks, I'll look into those irons

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Thu, Feb 13 2020 11:39 PM

+2 points in Balance look big, but I play with +.5 Balance from your Sabretooth with no problems. Only if you think that long putts stray a lot more than they should or if you have no fun putting is an upgrade relevant.

Robert1893:
    My advice would be to keep the putter for now and upgrade the irons.
    ... later, I'd say.

A high trajectory iron set will be due as a Legend - a the present, the clubs look quite appropriate for a Tour Master of 67.6.

Take a business POV on the prospect of your investments:
    (note aside: not meant to criticise you personally)

From your scoring history I see that you like play CTTHs. No putter is needed there. And since you play one full game per day (or less), the shiniest irons won't make the difference.

You might consider to look at your game and work on those issues which prevent you from breaking Par more significantly. I'm guessing it's not the trajectory or +5 yds with the irons or some putter's Balance. It may be patience (=practice) or some thoughts on course management(?)

Anyway: Have fun out there!

• silpalit
    16 Posts
    Mon, Feb 17 2020 5:48 PM

P - 4.0+

F - 3.5+

M - U like ...

sabre putter (L59)  dont like ding its good , 

• ct690911
    7,190 Posts
    Wed, Feb 19 2020 2:05 PM

I've played many legends and higher who still rely on the starter putter...and they are really good putters with it. 

The point is the actual putter makes little difference compared to being able to accurately read the greens.

I am an average putter...always have been, regardless of the putter I use. I was gifted the top putter and very little has changed. It's simply because I don't read the greens' breaks and speeds very well.

my $.02

ct

P.S. If funds are limited, I agree with Robert that your irons/wedges should be the priority.

• el3n1
    4,491 Posts
    Wed, Feb 19 2020 2:56 PM

ct690911:
    The point is the actual putter makes little difference compared to being able to accurately read the greens.

+1  but since you already shared it I can save my $.02 : )

• Tony08888
    564 Posts
    Fri, Feb 21 2020 3:46 AM

Kevin08126:

i am playing currently at level 87. I am using a sabre putter (L59).In someone's opinion, would a gain of +2 in balance be worth the tradeoff in losing 2 tenths of a point in precision and 1 point in forgiveness? The putter I really want isn't available until level 98 and when I looked up xp's to get there it might bee another 2 years. So in the mean time anyone have any advice?

What type of putter are you?

Do you prefer off-ding putting or ding putting? In other words, do you miss the ding to the right or the left in order to direct the trajectory of the ball? Or do you move the aiming point where you think the ball needs to travel and then ding the meter?

If you are an off-ding putter, then your putter is good for that. Keep practicing.

If you are a ding putter, the putter you have is probably frustrating the hades out of you.

The Max Control putter is good choice for ding putting. It has a good balance and is true at holding the line even with bad off-dings. It can also be used for off-dinging tricky putts within 4'.

My 2 cents.

• Kevin08126
    11 Posts
    Mon, Apr 20 2020 12:36 PM

About two months ago I posted on the forum re: putter advice, should I upgrade from my Sabre (L59) to the Scotty Cameron. I received varied advice. One person advised maybe a better set of irons (Apex) would help my game more than a putter. I liked that idea. Another suggested that yes an upgrade in the putter might be good if I were a ding rather than an off ding putter. Since I am a ding putter I liked that idea as well. A third suggested that maybe it wasn't my equipment but what might be needed was more practice and some study on course management. I didn't like that idea. So I bought both the new irons and the new putter. Allowing for a period of adjustment for the new equipment I found my game did not appreciably improve. Could it be that I needed more practice and course management skills? So playing everyday from my hospital bed I practiced and wrote course notes for every wgt course, every landing area for every drive , every landing point for every green for every hole location, sometimes I would take the same shot 8 or ten times  to see how the green would react and if the hole played long or short of the stated distance. So a few weeks ago I came out of my "practice hiding" and started entering bracket tournaments. A few days ago, for the first time , I won a bracket tournament (tour master) for credits. So this is a very long winded THANK-YOU to everyone in the community for the advice. It is now so much more enjoyable to play and be competitive in my tier. No easy way to get better, practice, man practice. So thanks again to all of you who helped.

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Mon, Apr 20 2020 11:37 PM

You're welcome, mate!

*chuckles*

• PAGES
RSS