Forums

Help › Forums

New and have some questions

Fri, Mar 25 2022 10:28 AM (43 replies)
  • el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Mon, Feb 24 2020 8:58 AM

DodgyPutter:
    If you think of your 38 hits and 18 single putts that would be a 56, -14.

Thanks for sharing...  a couple things.

I believe I posted 2 different charts one for 18 holes and one for 9 holes and then worked on another for unlimited entry that I don't believe was posted.  The latter sought to estimate how many reentry or attempts you can play and still show a marginal credit increase.  Some will play dozens of times, and while they may eventually win the event, their ball use in cost is completely lost so they lose credits while "winning" an event.  

I could also change the number of hits in my excel sheets to adjust depending on the type of course you play (I play) as score needed can vary from one course to another.  This allowed me to assess good events from less optimal events for my skill level at that time based on what I felt I needed to shoot. 

I also worked on these back while I was playing Legend tier... nearly all Legend tier RG's were heavy winds, so scoring could be higher and you could still see marginal profit.

Tierless events, the dynamics change and make things even tougher.  In those situations, I actually look for heavy winds because it may be the only thing that slows the top players down if they draw tough wind conditions and you manage to get a few more playable winds.  --- It clearly effects outcomes or you wouldn't have heard people commenting on winds in the live series event. 

RG's are similar in that way.  Outcomes can be decided not as much by skill -  they are all skilled players - but who gets the more favorable winds.  That doesn't take anything away from those who win, they still have to execute shots and make putts... but winds can be your friend in RG's where you need help slowing the best players down even by a stroke or two.

• ZirjoGondar
    94 Posts
    Fri, Mar 6 2020 6:47 PM

I'm a little late to the party, but to expand on MarchieB's advice on page 2:

While on my way to unlocking the top clubs available, I searched for discontinued clubs in other players' profiles and put them into a spreadsheet.  Like MarchieB posted, I found that a lot of the old clubs referenced in the forums have been simply re-skinned with new pictures/models, or perhaps have very slightly revised stats (like meter speed a few tenths different,  with all other stats unchanged). 

What MarchieB didn't reveal was that most of the new versions retain the same level as the originals you see discussed in old forum posts.  (Although Nikes can be confusing because of the 5 level drop just before they were retired.)

The level 59 PING irons were K10s(IIRC), G15s, G20s, G25s, and now G410s; but they're all the same club at L59.

The Cleveland wedges were CG16s (3.0 meter), 988 RTXs, and now Titleist Vokeys; but again all are/were at L74-80.

The current L98 Phantom putter is the same as the old L98 Sabertooth, and on and on...

So the level of the club is the key for you newer players looking to try out the clubs in all the old forum posts.  Happy hunting. 

• LincMark8
    9 Posts
    Mon, Mar 9 2020 5:42 PM

Just want to thank all of you that responded to this thread. It's given me plenty to digest :-) I'm not playing to win credits although I wont turn them down, I just want to be able to improve my game by getting equipment that will allow me to play with more consistency. It seems to me the (free) clubs I'm playing with are inconsistent. I also hope that the better equipment will help me stick greens at a more regular basis.

Again, thank you for all the great advice everyone. Hopefully this thread will help others with these same questions and concerns.

• alosso
    21,032 Posts
    Tue, Mar 10 2020 11:56 PM

LincMark8:
    It seems to me the (free) clubs I'm playing with are inconsistent.
    Yes the Starters are! Thou Shallt Buy Clubs!

The worst, in my memory, are the wedges. Replacing them works wonders!

Also, the Hybrid was quite bad. A smart intermittent move may be to buy one 3Wood to replace Driver etc.

The irons are low in trajectory, so you need to come close to clear water or bunkers in front of the greens. Add the low spin - they need the whole green to stop the shots! But, they work well with Starter balls, meter-speed-wise.

The best Starter club, IMHO, is the putter (the former BEGINNER putter is seemingly better).

• LincMark8
    9 Posts
    Wed, Mar 11 2020 3:21 PM

alosso:

LincMark8:
    It seems to me the (free) clubs I'm playing with are inconsistent.
    Yes the Starters are! Thou Shallt Buy Clubs!

The worst, in my memory, are the wedges. Replacing them works wonders!

Also, the Hybrid was quite bad. A smart intermittent move may be to buy one 3Wood to replace Driver etc.

The irons are low in trajectory, so you need to come close to clear water or bunkers in front of the greens. Add the low spin - they need the whole green to stop the shots! But, they work well with Starter balls, meter-speed-wise.

The best Starter club, IMHO, is the putter (the former BEGINNER putter is seemingly better).

I bought a sleeve of Volvic Vivid level 53+ and out of probably 100 approach shots, only one time did I notice any real back spin. Of course it was when I didn't need it :-) is it still because of my starter clubs? Right now my plan is to to go with the Callaway Apex Lv 85+ will I notice an obvious difference with the change of clubs?

I've noticed a number of people playing with the Callaway Rogue clubs but see they are only available at Lv 97+? when/if I get to level 93 will I probably need to bite the bullet and change from the Apex to the Callaway Rogue's?

Again I want to thank everyone for the great insight and experience, it's greatly appreciated.

Greg

• alosso
    21,032 Posts
    Thu, Mar 12 2020 12:38 AM

Yes, balls and clubs must about match in rating to be efficient. With the Starters, I'd recommend B-ES balls @10 cr or Tour SD @64 cr, or - ehm - Starter balls ;)

Looking at your profile, please don't buy the hybrid but rather a 3WD. Use it as a driver replacement, too - hitting the tee shots too long may spell trouble for a Tour Pro. Re-consider the driver once you hit Master tier.

Getting custom irons will make a huge difference, probably taking you up the ranks. Just make sure that they are "high trajectory"!

These Callies might fit better to your current choice of ball, but you might want to try the L33 Callaway balls @250 cr or the L11 Srixons @180 cr, promising more bang for the buck!

I'd also get a 64° (= 50 or 60 yds) wedge for a big improvement in your short game. It will help you get out the bunkers and present you valid shot options in chip, pitch and flop mode.

Until touching Legend tier, you'd then need only minor modifications.

Don't worry about the future and L97. It's literally one million XPs away @1,513,144 XP - who knows where you'll be then(?)

• LincMark8
    9 Posts
    Thu, Mar 12 2020 1:03 PM

Right now my game plan is to go with what tony recommended. seems to be a pretty decent setup.

• Level 85+ Sub Zero driver 
    • Level 86+ Sub Zero 3 Wood 
    • Level 85+ Apex irons 
    • Level 80+ Max Control putter 
    • Level 70’s wedges mentioned above
    The wedges are the Titleist SM7's, I'm going to try some of the balls you just recomended alosso. I'm not 100% sure on the putter, thinking about the

Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 6 Putter (L70+)

I think I'll rent each one and see if one takes.

• alosso
    21,032 Posts
    Thu, Mar 12 2020 9:56 PM

That's a plan for a Legend, from the longest tees. Otherwise, no objection. Think about the sequence of purchases though.

Have fun!

• LincMark8
    9 Posts
    Fri, Mar 13 2020 9:50 AM

alosso:

That's a plan for a Legend, from the longest tees. Otherwise, no objection. Think about the sequence of purchases though.

Have fun!

Sorry alosso but what do you mean sequence? I was just planning to buy everything once I reach level 85. My thought is that it would take me so long to get to the levels where the Callaway Rogue clubs become available and I want the capability of a long driver ASAP. 

I've been renting the M6 driver just so I can have a long driver and shorten up my game, yesterday I shot my first 31, it was on Congressional back 9. I'm now spoiled and don't even want to play with the 225 driver. I'm still days away from level 85 and figure I might as well buy the M6 driver because I enjoy being able to play with 275 capability and I'll spend the 1525 credits it takes to buy it just in rental fees before I get to level 85 :-)

"That's a plan for a Legend, from the longest tees. Otherwise, no objection" what are you saying here? is it that these are fine to get me to Legend but I will have to upgrade again once I get to the mid to high 90 levels?

Sorry but I just wasn't sure how to take your comments and just wanted to ask what you meant exactly :-) Thanks alosso

• alosso
    21,032 Posts
    Fri, Mar 13 2020 11:34 AM

LincMark8:
    is it that these are fine to get me to Legend but I will have to upgrade again once I get to the mid to high 90 levels?
    I didn't mean that.

Alas, I see a difference between your needs as a TP from the #2 tees compared to the proposals of a Legend playing from #4 tees. Some courses would suit to long drives from the #2 tees, others don't. It won't help you if the landing spots of the long drives are too small to hit them, now.

Thus, it may be wise to execute the purchases which fit to your situation and stay others (like driver). IMHO, it's more important to get precise hits to the green and improve the short game.

My two Pfennig: Buy a 64° wedge now, choose a 3WD, perhaps the irons, and wait for the rest till the next tiers. In the meantime, you will rise in Levels and get other opportunities.

RSS