Forums

Help › Forums

New and have some questions

Fri, Mar 25 2022 10:28 AM (43 replies)
  • LincMark8
    9 Posts
    Fri, Jan 17 2020 5:05 PM

Thanks YankeeJim, I like the advice. I still have  long way to go but having fun doing it. If I might ask, what's your opinion on putters. I liked the Max I used.

• Tony08888
    564 Posts
    Fri, Feb 21 2020 8:42 AM

Mark, if you can wait until the mid 80’s you will have some really good upgrade options. All with 4.4 meter speed except the wedges.

• Level 85+ Sub Zero driver 
    • Level 86+ Sub Zero 3 Wood 
    • Level 85+ Apex irons 
    • Level 80+ Max Control putter 
    • Level 70’s wedges mentioned above 

Those clubs are really all you would ever need to play competitively without ever upgrading again.

Since the meter speeds are fairly slow, you could learn to manipulate the starter ball with decent skill.

Having said all that, there are a ton of great players on here using starter equipment.

• bypass07
    1,360 Posts
    Fri, Feb 21 2020 11:12 AM
    I don't think many of my clubs are available anymore, so heres my 2 cents. Drop the hybrid get 3 wedges. As far as putting goes - hit the ball !! A putt hit 3 feet too long has a better chance of going in than one 2" too short. Regardless just have fun out there. Thanks Greg
  • TopShelf2010
    10,879 Posts
    Fri, Feb 21 2020 12:10 PM

• Tony08888
    564 Posts
    Fri, Feb 21 2020 12:47 PM

I hear you Don, and thank you for the challenge.

I do have everyone of the clubs listed in inventory. That is the set I made Legend with. I’m not on a budget tho, so I have the means to upgrade to better clubs.

My reply was not just for the OP, but to anyone else who may do a forum search with the same question.

From most of what I’ve read on these forums, there a lot of folks on here that are having to watch countless videos and surveys to get enough credits for upgrades. This is for those folks who may be saving for a complete upgrade one day.

The clubs listed are a solid set and no other upgrades are needed past that to play competitively.

• Robert1893
    7,652 Posts
    Fri, Feb 21 2020 12:52 PM

Tony08888:

My reply was not just for the OP, but to anyone else who may do a forum search with the same question.

From most of what I’ve read on these forums, there a lot of folks on here that are having to watch countless videos and surveys to get enough credits for upgrades. This is for those folks who may be saving for a complete upgrade one day.

And that's why it's bad advice. At the higher tiers (especially Tour Legend and above), a player will not be competitive with those clubs. 

Sure. They can enjoy the game and probably do well in country club tournaments. But there's no way they'll be competitive in regular tournaments with the clubs mentioned in that post.  

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Feb 21 2020 12:54 PM

TopShelf2010:

Tony08888:
    Those clubs are really all you would ever need to play competitively without ever upgrading again

If this were true, why is it that you do not have those clubs you recommended equipped in your bag? With the exception of the wedges and putter of course.

Don

Because he has better ones. He didn't say forever, just emphasized what would work if you wanted something that would last and make the game more fun. He's 2 levels away from a smarter upgrade and 12 levels away from Tony's irons.

• MarchieB
    1,524 Posts
    Fri, Feb 21 2020 1:06 PM

LincMark8:
    I've done a lot of reading but every time I think I find what clubs I want to look into, I go look for them and they aren't available in the pro shop.

I know the OP is a few months old but one thing to remember too LinkMark8 (and anyone looking at other players older clubs) while they may not seem to be in the WGT Pro Shop any longer because of their age they more than likely still are there. What I mean by that is while the exact club is not there an identical one (exact same stats) but with a different name and graphic most likely is.

What WGT occasionally does is re-skin them by changing the name and picture and introduce them as NEW clubs (and make them 100 credits or so more expensive). As well there is usually a "Last Chance" Clearance Sale in the ProShop on the clubs that are being replaced before the NEW clubs are introduced. A good example of this is the Cleveland 588 Wedges that a lot of the veteran high end players have .. they are still there but are now called Titleist Vokey Wedges (I think). This is not 100% true for every club in the proshop as there have been replacement clubs that have better stats than the ones they are replacing.

• Robert1893
    7,652 Posts
    Fri, Feb 21 2020 1:17 PM

@MarchieB

+1

• LincMark8
    9 Posts
    Fri, Feb 21 2020 9:26 PM

tony08888, I think you gave me great advice. Money is a factor and I'm not looking to be beating the top players. I just want to make one investment for now that will take me a long way. I already bought my first VOKEY 56. I'm going to wait and buy once I get to the 86 level to complete my set. To everyone that responded to my post, thank you very much for the advice. Hopefully I will run across some of you when I'm playing.

Greg

RSS