Forums

Help › Forums

Frustration and Inconsistencies

Tue, Oct 11 2022 6:21 PM (23 replies)
  • CowboyTed
    53 Posts
    Sun, Jan 5 2020 2:50 PM

Anyone who knows me knows that I have defended WGT for years. Those who would say I have been WGT'ed would get a response from me that there was "something" they missed. I have been a member since 2009. I have tried numerous balls and clubs. I even wrote a program to keep track of all my shots under various conditions. I recorded them in a spreadsheet type of way. I have kept track of the nuances of certain holes on certain courses. 

Fair to say,... if I hit the ding correctly I have a pretty good idea where the shot is going.

NOT LATELY!!

Close to half my shots now are nowhere near the expectation. With straight away tailwind and the ball fades bad right or left. 

Hit a 5 iron and it plays like a 6 iron then it will play like the 5 iron again. This is a regular occurance with all my shots even putting. Today I had a 3.7 putt uphill 2. I hit it for 10 feet and it was 5 inches short.

The inconsistencies lately are very frustrating. 

Anyone else having this problem??

• BOZskills
    392 Posts
    Sun, Jan 5 2020 3:39 PM

Yes cowboy,i also have noticed alot more inconsistentcy lately. Shots acually going in the opposite direction the wind is blowing on perfect dingers,.in addition to the things you me ntion.And i agree,it's very frustrating!! On the other hand if everything went perfectly the way it should calculations,dingers etc.the game would be really boring. This was discussed in a different thread a few weeks ago, the VEM seems to be very strong lately! Good golfing cowboyted!

• Cicero733
    2,293 Posts
    Sun, Jan 5 2020 3:52 PM

Yes especially with club distance variances and wind effects. I’m seeing on some holes a tailwind or headwind having absolutely no effect on ball distance then a hole later having the wind effects kick in. Like you I am having big yardage swings with my irons that are inconsistent from hole to hole, like when I hit a 3 wd from the tee into a 24 mph headwind and the ball, after sailing past the 286 yd mark and still going, was declared OB.

• lonniescott711
    4,182 Posts
    Sun, Jan 5 2020 4:47 PM

Actually its not a problem its just the way the game plays . As you play better the game tightens the parameters of the game making the game play more difficult . This also will effect the performance of the clubs and its attributes . By narrowing the sweet spot on the club face will change how the ball will react when struck .

So even though you may hit a good shot you may get the result of a bad shot . At the same time you may hit a bad shot and get the results of a good shot . These programmed outcomes is what makes the game play just like the real game .

Yes it frustrates all of us  causing fits and moments of anger . No matter how many times you play a course you will always get some different outcomes . In real golf the best players in the world cant put together 4 good rounds on a course . This game is reflective of that when playing .

The outcomes will always be changing ever so slightly . Its up to you to make the needed adjustments in order to play well . Practice practice and then more practice in order to stay on top of your game . 

• CowboyTed
    53 Posts
    Sun, Jan 5 2020 6:49 PM

I appreciate the response,...

My understanding is you are talking about VEM which the last thing I read from WGT was,... They are not using it. Their exact words were, "Whatever result you get from your equipment will never change. A hack will get the same result from the same use and shot."

If what you say is true then they are punishing those who strive to do good and reward the sandbaggers. 

If that is true,... I am done!! 

I am not talking about the ding either. I am talking about the exact same shot with outrageous differences. Also to be fair,....this MOSTLY happens in Alternate Shot games and not tournament or stroke games. This has only recently started to happen. 

• CowboyTed
    53 Posts
    Sun, Jan 5 2020 6:56 PM

lonniescott711:
    In real golf the best players in the world cant put together 4 good rounds on a course

This is a computer program not real golf. If I want those chances I will play the real course, even one one leg. 

I disagree about pro golfers,.. My cousin was a pro golfer. He knew his yardages to the inth. If he hit a bad shot he knew where the issue was, it wasn't a hit and hope this one will be good if he hit it right.

Sure wind and other variables come into play but you should be able to identify and resolve them as you learn.

• Miaski0
    88 Posts
    Mon, Jan 6 2020 11:57 AM

What gets me going is the huge difference between 12.0 to 13.0 greens. You would think they played about the same way but man they don’t. Always a gamble playing 13.0s.

• andwhy67
    2,816 Posts
    Mon, Jan 6 2020 1:51 PM

CowboyTed:
    I disagree about pro golfers,.. My cousin was a pro golfer. He knew his yardages to the inth. If he hit a bad shot he knew where the issue was, it wasn't a hit and hope this one will be good if he hit it right.

There is no way your pro cousin or any pro hits every ball to a couple of foot of their previous shot, and each and every other shot within yards of each other time and time again.

That’s the real life game, that’s real life VEM if you like!

• TopShelf2010
    10,880 Posts
    Mon, Jan 6 2020 2:06 PM

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Mon, Jan 6 2020 2:56 PM

CowboyTed:
    My understanding is you are talking about VEM which the last thing I read from WGT was,... They are not using it. Their exact words were, "Whatever result you get from your equipment will never change. A hack will get the same result from the same use and shot."

Yes, although it was in 2010.

-          Whenever you equip a club, it’s performance/output will NEVER change based on your score, a tournament, who you are playing or, most importantly, your tier.-          Clubs are essentially locked and there is nothing automatically changing/modifying their performance during a single game, series of games, the day, etc.

So put another way…

-          If you are a HACK tier-player… the performance you will see with a WGT STARTER is the EXACT same performance a MASTER will see. 

-          If you a PRO tier player… you will see the PING G10 Pro+ clubs performance in EXACTLY the same way as a MASTER tier player using the same clubs.

That’s how we built the system – so everyone is on a fair & level playing field. 

- MisterWGT

I think one of the best posts on this came in the same thread. Others disagreed then and will now.

1,644 Posts
    01-26-2010 7:19 AM

So I took the night to think this situation over and the one quote that keeps coming back to me is this....

"-          Whenever you equip a club, it’s performance/output will NEVER change based on your score, a tournament, who you are playing or, most importantly, your tier."

In that sentence, Mr WGT has, in fact, answered all of your questions.  The fact that this thread is still ongoing is simply because you refuse to accept the answer.  I do.  I do not believe there is any behind the scenes shenanigans going on.  This is a reversal from my first impressions from yesterday, I admit.  I will trust what is being said only because it would be far more detrimental to the product and the reputation of the company if it were not the truth.  As far as the patents' existence and the language of the document, (I do not have any personal experience with filing patents) but it would make sense to include as much CYA in them as possible, not that it will all be used.  Try applying the current (known) system of advancing tiers which opens access to better equipment.  This better equipment is more precise, less forgiving, provides more distance, spin, higher trajectories and so on....  Does this not fit into the the "VEM" model?  I think it does.

Out of all of this I think I have a new definition of the word 'crazy', as it applies to golf: Crazy is repeating the same task over and over expecting the same result!

Just my 2 cents... And as always, sit back and enjoy! 

RSS