Help › Forums

When to buy new clubs

rated by 0 users
Tue, Jan 7 2020 8:23 AM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Caissss
    13 Posts
    Thu, Jan 2 2020 1:12 PM

Level 67 now and considering purchasing the M5 Driver as I'm struggling on longer holes having only 230 yard driver. 

Will it be worth waiting until higher levels to have that bit more out of the clubs that become available or just bite the bullet now?

Also would purchasing a driver first provide the most advantage? Think I've not done too bad having such short yardages but now I want to step up a bit and become more competitive again. (without spending a shed load of ££) 

• Robert1212122
    2,266 Posts
    Thu, Jan 2 2020 7:48 PM

In my opinion wait to level 102.

• Brick900
    2 Posts
    Thu, Jan 2 2020 8:42 PM

I'm at level 88 and have been considering a new set of irons. The thought of learning a new set has kept me from making the plunge and then I saw your comment on waiting until level 102. Should I hold off on all purchases until I reach 102?

Thanks for any helpful insights!

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Thu, Jan 2 2020 9:45 PM

L102 is a tad far-fetched - 2,700,000 XPs, while you're at 125,000!

If you want to better your game, better your average and rise in tiers, I'd start with (*) buying two short wedges of 50/75 or 60/80 yds. Next, consider a quality threewood for double use on tee and FW.

Driver and irons are due when you tier up to Master. Be sure to get "high trajectory" irons!

Enjoy the game!

(*) edited

• Caissss
    13 Posts
    Fri, Jan 3 2020 1:06 AM

My standard set of wedges that I have now is LW at 50yd and SW at 70yd and PW at 90yd. 

Quality 3 wood might be a good call for double use. 

• drmoose
    3,531 Posts
    Fri, Jan 3 2020 6:27 AM

I agree with alosso on the wedges. The lvl. 60 Ping glides ( 54 & 60) offer good bang for the buck @ 4.95 ea., and should help you stick the greens.

Doc :)

• Caissss
    13 Posts
    Fri, Jan 3 2020 1:49 PM

I still have the standard WGT wedges that offer me 50yds, 70yds & 90yds

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Sat, Jan 4 2020 2:52 AM

I meant you to buy some short wedges to replace the Starters.

Frankly, the Starter wedges are crap! IMHO, the worst clubs of the Starter set!

With better wedges, you will gain precision with reduced meter power, height of the trajectory, spin = short roll, and a flop shot which IS a flop shot!

It's a game changer, at least from the L38 Taylormades up!

• DoctorLarry
    4,275 Posts
    Sat, Jan 4 2020 1:55 PM

I agree with alosso and drmoose.

You have a "Coin" set of clubs and I cannot see their specifications in the Pro Shop, but I fully expect they are very poor.

You need to upgrade clubs based on two parameters, IMHO:

1.  Which ones do you hit the most?

2.  Which ones will allow the best chance for a lower score an the most holes?

Item 1 means to not upgrade clubs like a hybrid at all.  In fact, You will find that replacing the hybrid with another wedge will be to your advantage.

Item 2 follows the old saying "Drive for show, putt for dough".

A better driver can add a few more yards that are helpful on some holes - but not all.  You don't even use it on most Par 3 holes.

What can make the most difference in your game - again, IMHO - is to be able to hit approach shots closer to the pin.  That results in fewer putts = lower score = more dough.  This is where the better wedges come in.  When you learn to hit better wedges, you will start getting closer to the pin on many, if not most, holes.

After I had played a few months, and read good advice from folks like alosso and drmoose and others, I started planning well ahead as to which clubs to get in what order.

I upgraded 2 wedges and putter early to start cutting off strokes.  I upgraded to a somewhat longer driver next and then to better irons.  I did NOT jump at new offerings every time they came up but compared specs and picked out ones to wait for.

As soon as I could I replaced the hybrid with a third wedge - trying to fill in the gaps below 110-120 yards.  I now have 56, 60, and 64 deg wedges that do that.

All of this took some planning and I used the Pro Shop Equipment Tables by user ScottHope.  This is a downloadable spreadsheet covering everything in the Pro Shop.  (You should check out his profile page - he has tons of useful stuff there.  (Don't tell him - but he is one of my heros here!!)

Good luck with all this and try to have fun along the way!

• el3n1
    4,491 Posts
    Tue, Jan 7 2020 8:04 AM

some good info already shared... just going to touch on the following in the event others want to assist potentially new players trying to delay or offset some early club purchases at the entry level that will quickly be replaced.  coin rentals can save credits for the new player trying to build up credits watching videos.  it is one of the very useful aspects of coins at the beginning stages, since they eventually become relatively worthless to many players eventually.

DoctorLarry:
    You have a "Coin" set of clubs and I cannot see their specifications in the Pro Shop, but I fully expect they are very poor.

I attempted to resolve that at least for the first 3 sets awhile ago.... you might check out this thread on using coin rental sets for future reference.  I suggested them as a good option until you reach the L50 and above clubs to save some credits before you can purchase clubs that will last much longer than entry level clubs... 

I used coin rental until my first 3wd at L51, first driver at L55, and first set of irons at L59.  The wedges can be considered slightly earlier depending on your preference and how quickly you want to start upgrading them.  This was pre MD / PM Grind days as I was trying to keep meter speeds slower and those fit better into that aspect for me. 

• PAGES
RSS