Help › Forums

WGT LIVE SERIES

Thu, Jan 9 2020 11:21 AM (37 replies)
  • birchi
    1,492 Posts
    Wed, Jan 1 2020 1:16 PM

DampandDusty:

kavvz:
    Champ, is this the replacement for the VT?

Champ?

from a different thread:

WGTChampion:
    There will be a VT replacement that won't be as prominent (i.e. won't have quarterly leaderboards or crowns for winners, or a special section in the website). It will likely be a 2 round weekly tournament but don't take that as confirmed as I'm still working on it. 

• MarchieB
    1,525 Posts
    Wed, Jan 1 2020 1:29 PM

Thanks Birchi. I was just looking for that post myself to respond with the same quote.

WGTChampion:
    There will be a VT replacement that won't be as prominent (i.e. won't have quarterly leaderboards or crowns for winners, or a special section in the website). It will likely be a 2 round weekly tournament but don't take that as confirmed as I'm still working on it. 

Yes the new Live Tour and Etour are the "BIG" monthly WGT tournaments going forward, but not the replacements for the VT that Champ was speaking of.

The response from Champ in the above quote was made on Dec 18, and there was no other official communication from WGT regarding this (replacement of VT)  So right now I assume that WGT are still trying to decide on what to replace it with and we will know once its ready to roll out.

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,503 Posts
    Wed, Jan 1 2020 1:44 PM

There are many opinions here I agree to. I'm among the ones who believe all tourneys should be single-rounds.

It is highly unlikely, though, WGT will listen to us and go with this format because this is the area that directly affects the profit structure of their business.

Sadly it is all about money. When what you like and prefer chimes in with their profits, then ONLY THEN they'll do it while saying "We've been listening to our customers and finally decided to accept your request because we value your thoughts & ideas." ;-) Can't really blame WGT. It's the business, the reality.

• TopShelf2010
    10,880 Posts
    Wed, Jan 1 2020 2:00 PM

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Wed, Jan 1 2020 2:08 PM

Ty birchi and Marchie for that post, forgot about that one.

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,503 Posts
    Wed, Jan 1 2020 2:09 PM

TopShelf2010:
    Hmmm, I wonder if you will get attacked like I did?

It's alright, Don. I'm used to now. LOL

Happy New Year to you and yours. You say this to people here but seldom get it back so... there you go, mate. Wish you all the best whether you agree or disagree with me here in the forum. :-)

• MarchieB
    1,525 Posts
    Wed, Jan 1 2020 2:11 PM

TopShelf2010:

Hmmm, I wonder if you will get attacked like I did?
    Don

Don I’m going to respond to the “Unlimited vs. Single Play” argument but please don’t take it as me attacking you for your opinion. You are absolutely entitled to that opinion and in a small part I agree with the “single play” argument.  As far as producing the truest and most accurate test of the game, yes single play is the way to go as you can only post one score per round or tournament. 

Here is my argument. Right now (@5pm EST-Jan 1, 2020) If you were to look at the current top 9 players in the January WGT Live tour their scores of -20 to -18 (assuming a par 72) were all posted on their FIRST attempt and only one of the top 9 players has posted a second attempt (and it was exactly the same as their first) Ultimately the players at the top of the WGT food chain are extremely great players and will post those scores regardless if it’s single play or unlimited. As for the players in the lower tiers, for the most part the majority of players, even with an unlimited play option won’t improve so significantly to really make a difference. If they’re posting scores equal to their own AVG on their first attempt, yes they may post a better score after playing the same course over and over but how much will they really improve? at best 2-3 strokes a side? so 4-6 strokes over 18 holes. For the most part players are going to stay around their AVG (which kinda makes sense when you think about what the AVG is) 

That is what I really liked about the now “defunct” Virtual Tour, it had the Unlimited Play portion for the first 3 weeks or so followed by 1 or 2 (in the case of the quarterly Majors) Single Play rounds that gave the monthly tourneys a bit of a more competitive feel and was a good balance/compromise for both sides of the unlimited/single play argument. Right now that format doesn’t really exist. 

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,503 Posts
    Wed, Jan 1 2020 2:24 PM

I rather suggest WGT for any unlimited rounds, if they can't live without it, they would make them "unquittable", meaning once you start your round, you gotta finish the round or you lose the eligibility to re-enter the tourney.

• borntobesting
    9,623 Posts
    Wed, Jan 1 2020 2:49 PM

SimonTheBeetle:

There are many opinions here I agree to. I'm among the ones who believe all tourneys should be single-rounds.

It is highly unlikely, though, WGT will listen to us and go with this format because this is the area that directly affects the profit structure of their business.

Sadly it is all about money. When what you like and prefer chimes in with their profits, then ONLY THEN they'll do it while saying "We've been listening to our customers and finally decided to accept your request because we value your thoughts & ideas." ;-) Can't really blame WGT. It's the business, the reality.

You know a lot of us mediocre players like the unlimited play. We might just have one of those once in a blue moon rounds and qualify. But if it is single play we know we don't stand a chance and probably won't play at all, 

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Wed, Jan 1 2020 3:19 PM

MarchieB:

Here is my argument. Right now (@5pm EST-Jan 1, 2020) If you were to look at the current top 9 players in the January WGT Live tour their scores of -20 to -18 (assuming a par 72) were all posted on their FIRST attempt and only one of the top 9 players has posted a second attempt (and it was exactly the same as their first) Ultimately the players at the top of the WGT food chain are extremely great players and will post those scores regardless if it’s single play or unlimited.  

Par is 70 at Oakmont.  I'll bet ya a sleeve that the 53's don't qualify.  The 54's don't stand a chance.  It's moderate winds and 12 greens for crap sakes.

You'll be seeing many more attempts from all of them.   There will be more 52's, and once the 51's start to appear, they'll all be at it again.

RSS