Forums

Help › Forums

ANOTHER "HIGH WIND" CLASH!!!!!

Sat, Dec 28 2019 3:52 PM (33 replies)
  • Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Fri, Dec 27 2019 9:38 AM

jimshaw39:

Fence - more lost balls?  Gotta pay foe 'dem globes.!  

Jim

😀

• Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Fri, Dec 27 2019 12:15 PM

call me the minority that thinks the conditions should be hard from time to time.

So many of you are so used to red tee tourneys in low winds you can't play anything else. 

Take the opportunity to improve your game.

• andwhy67
    2,816 Posts
    Fri, Dec 27 2019 12:32 PM

Mythanatos:

call me the minority that thinks the conditions should be hard from time to time.

So many of you are so used to red tee tourneys in low winds you can't play anything else. 

+1

I like high wind tourneys, I don’t play in many but always earn more credits in these than the “normal” ones. 

• DirtyDuffer
    876 Posts
    Fri, Dec 27 2019 2:00 PM

Mythanatos:

Simple fact, if you can’t shape your shots you’ll be frustrated. Learn to NOT hit the ding. You become a better player handling these winds. 

Just my .02 worth... 

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Fri, Dec 27 2019 3:11 PM

I still think high-wind clash events make no sense. The clash events should just be for fun. I get having some high-wind tournaments. But that’s a different context and discussion. 

As an aside, I’ve actually played more this clash than any other clash this year. I even managed a decent score (29) on a Chambers Bay course with some pretty nasty cross winds. Then again, I can’t remember the last round I played that wasn’t default tees. 

• AlaskanDame
    18,965 Posts
    Fri, Dec 27 2019 3:21 PM
    What is being ignored or not realized by many posters above is that some of us "owners" like to see our lower-tier members enjoy their playing time, and heavy wind Clashes just aren't fun for them. Legends on up do just fine, thank you, but below that. . . it's pretty tough. Sure, we have high-wind club tourneys for their practice, but two full days' worth like a Clash --- that's a bit much for most of them. THAT's why we wish the winds would at least top out at "moderate," (which does give some variety to the rounds, compared to "low" wind) --- OR --- that Kiawah and Bethpage would be put in the mix for heavy wind --- at least it's not so "heavy" on those courses. Par 5's, St. Andrews, and Chambers Bay are all very heavy wind courses.
  • Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Fri, Dec 27 2019 3:25 PM

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Fri, Dec 27 2019 7:51 PM

@AlaskanDame

Well said. 

• AlaskanDame
    18,965 Posts
    Fri, Dec 27 2019 8:13 PM
    Robert1893:
    I even managed a decent score (29) on a Chambers Bay course with some pretty nasty cross winds
    That IS a very nice score, but I would trade you your crosswinds for my headwinds any day. It was impossible to reach the par 4 GIR, and I have a 245 3W. Almost impossible to reach the fairway on a few. Good thing we had Chambers only twice! :)
  • JDGHOST
    6,776 Posts
    Fri, Dec 27 2019 8:15 PM

Exactly my point when I opened this thread WELL said AD!!....I personally could care less about the high winds I can play in them... I was thinking of my club and members with a bit less skill level...No need to discourage  them with these type conditions in which they are spending their money on something that awards them absolutely "ZERO" in the prize category to begin with!! Do you think the tour master in my club gives a crap about a snow globe tee marker??(Which BTW is a another duplicate) or  a $1.48 in club passes? lol... But that's a entire different discussion the ridiculous prize structure!!

JD

RSS