Forums

Help › Forums

Losing Balls

Fri, Jan 10 2020 8:37 AM (33 replies)
  • HackWilson1930
    1,437 Posts
    Fri, Dec 27 2019 6:09 AM

WGT, as a part of Topgolf, has the implicit task of making money for the company How much of that money comes from the sale of balls is open for discussion. What is very true is that the game can be played at the highest levels with no outlay of cash by the participants; only their time.

The "free" entertainment industry, of which WGT is a part, is based on advertising. To get free entertainment, mostly through television, we have to endure commercials. Playing WGT as an absolutely free game means we must endure commercials.

If we don't want to see or hear commercials we join subscription services such as Netflix or SirusXM. Playing WGT should be considered in the same way.

The ultimate step for WGT would be to move to a dedicated subscription service where a monthly fee is charged and balls and equipment are supplied without additional costs. There could be tiers where the cost is higher based on the quality of the equipment,

As a consumer we each make daily choices as to how we spend our cash and our time. Perhaps some of us would be happier if the  choice involving WGT was paying a $10 per month fee or just not playing. For me, I like the game the way it is where I have the choice of paying with cash or time; not just cash.

• Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Fri, Dec 27 2019 9:29 AM

stop whining about lost balls.

the game is cheap to play. Pretty good bang for the buck imo.

Sleeve of balls lasts me at least a week now. $5.50 for a week. not bad.

The expensive part is the $20-$50 in cigars I smoke while i play. 

And that's not even counting the whiskey cost too.

Only here will you see so many people whine about $2-$3.

• Tiktak63
    115 Posts
    Fri, Dec 27 2019 10:05 AM

Mythanatos:

You don't get the point. The complaint is not losing balls, it's losing balls unfairly. As in one of the examples I gave, ball 1 drops just short of the safety of terra firma and into the water. No issue there. Playing the next shot with an added 8 yards does not entitle that ball to drop a good two yards or so further back into the water. 

I don't mind paying to play, I simply don't enjoy being robbed.  

• DoctorLarry
    4,275 Posts
    Fri, Dec 27 2019 11:27 PM

Mythanatos:

LOL

Ain't that the truth!

• andwhy67
    2,816 Posts
    Sat, Dec 28 2019 12:34 AM

DonCaron:
    98% of all bad shots are on us. Could be not checking you club, bad math or just a dumb mistake. 

+1 

17th at St Andy’s yesterday, 2nd shot with a (no hit) new ball, rushed into the shot, didn’t check and watched it sail over the green and over the wall behind the green. First time I’ve done that in a long time.

• Miaski0
    88 Posts
    Sat, Dec 28 2019 8:35 AM

Mythanatos:

the game is cheap to play. Pretty good bang for the buck imo.

Sleeve of balls lasts me at least a week now. $5.50 for a week. not bad.

The expensive part is the $20-$50 in cigars I smoke while i play. 

And that's not even counting the whiskey cost too.

No whining simple observation. And $20 dollar cigars are a poor mans smoke.

• Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Sat, Dec 28 2019 12:05 PM

Tiktak63:

Mythanatos:

You don't get the point. The complaint is not losing balls, it's losing balls unfairly. As in one of the examples I gave, ball 1 drops just short of the safety of terra firma and into the water. No issue there. Playing the next shot with an added 8 yards does not entitle that ball to drop a good two yards or so further back into the water. 

I don't mind paying to play, I simply don't enjoy being robbed.  

you've hit 34 balls in the water in 6.5 years.  cmon man... the game doesn't have it out for you. 

• TopShelf2010
    10,879 Posts
    Sat, Dec 28 2019 12:40 PM

• BOZskills
    387 Posts
    Sun, Dec 29 2019 5:14 PM

@Dave 33200,well said!

• HackWilson1930
    1,437 Posts
    Mon, Dec 30 2019 4:14 AM

Forgot that they keep that record. 269 and counting. Not whining, but perhaps wining. And Nancy1959 has dunked 5210!

RSS