Forums

Help › Forums

Next clash

Wed, Dec 25 2019 9:21 PM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • bossbird
    2,192 Posts
    Sat, Dec 21 2019 1:43 PM

Alosso, no in France it is a normal working day, and in fact if the 25 th December falls on a Saturday or Sunday no extra day is given off from work, here .

• MarchieB
    1,524 Posts
    Sat, Dec 21 2019 2:00 PM

alosso:
    Am I correct to suspect that it's "2nd day of Christmas" as it is in Germany (zweiter Weihnachtsfeiertag)? Difference being that Boxing Day is a merely public holiday but Christmas is at first a christian feast.

I believe the origin of “Boxing Day” is from the UK/England. Way back when people who worked as servants (maids/cooks/butlers) for rich people would have to work on Christmas Day (Dec 25th) “serving” their employers. These people were given the next day (Dec 26th) off to be with their own families. Their employers would “box up” the leftover food from Christmas Day and give it to their servants.

Here in Canada 🇨🇦, as a Patriated British colony we celebrate Boxing Day and it is in fact a statutory holiday, the same as Christmas Day. I believe this is common in most countries that are/were part of the British Commonwealth

• Tacoma802
    400 Posts
    Sat, Dec 21 2019 7:21 PM

It seems WGT has a showdown scheduled this week so one would imagine it be unlikely they hold the Clash simultaneously. It also seems, the game load times become noticeably slower (on the mobile platform anyway) recently when any major WGT event commences so two events running at once could really throw a proverbial wedgie in the WGT operational underpants...

• AlaskanDame
    18,876 Posts
    Sun, Dec 22 2019 12:56 PM

MarchieB:

I believe the origin of “Boxing Day” is from the UK/England. Way back when people who worked as servants (maids/cooks/butlers) for rich people would have to work on Christmas Day (Dec 25th) “serving” their employers. These people were given the next day (Dec 26th) off to be with their own families. Their employers would “box up” the leftover food from Christmas Day and give it to their servants.

I had forgotten that aspect.  Thanks for the reminder.

I had come to think of it as cleaning up all the boxes from the day before!

• andwhy67
    2,816 Posts
    Wed, Dec 25 2019 3:32 PM

MarchieB:

indeed true!

And for the ‘landed Gentry’ a day to saddle up, pretend you know how to ride a pony, while chasing a fox through the countryside.

**edit** imagine a world/dictionary without the word ‘CLASH’?

You'd all have feck all to do!

• AlaskanDame
    18,876 Posts
    Wed, Dec 25 2019 9:21 PM
    I hope wgt waits a week to make us play for those nifty (not) "2020" tee markers. . . .(I know, they don't "make" anyone play . . . .. )
  • PAGES
RSS