Forums

Help › Forums

Scoring 52 is not a realistic score.

Wed, Jan 25 2023 10:23 PM (130 replies)
  • SimonTheBeetle
    3,468 Posts
    Fri, Jan 10 2020 9:13 PM

Luckystar5:

yes, I stand corrected, I forgot about Jim's 58, in 2016.  but look how long a 59 stood, prior to that,   lol

Wasn't it Chip Beck who had the record before Jim's 58?

I remember reading a cover story about him when he was featured on the Golf Digest cover as Mr. 59 during my teenager time back in the 80's. It said he was from Chicago, happily married there (he was posing with his wife both in winter coats on a cold day in the photo, made me think that someone living up north could also be a great golfer and gave me a hope. LOL, also that he did some vigorous stretching everyday, etc. Boy, some things are engraved in your brain and never get erased!

• Oliverk44
    4 Posts
    Fri, Jan 17 2020 6:34 AM

I get how people can shoot 50’s with all the gear etc, but can someone please explain to me how in the e-tour qualifying that’s taking place now, someone has shot 57!?

this is bethpage black, very windy and fast greens and every player has to use the same clubs, which aren’t great and a ball that doesn’t spin much. There are par 4’s that you can’t actually reach in 2 and you can’t reach any par 5 in 2 either. It seems implausible anyone could shoot so low unless they are holing shots from the fairway with 30mph winds

how do they manage it?

• Oliverk44
    4 Posts
    Fri, Jan 17 2020 3:35 PM

Hi

• Robert1893
    7,651 Posts
    Sat, Jan 18 2020 10:34 AM

Oliverk44:
    this is bethpage black, very windy and fast greens and every player has to use the same clubs, which aren’t great and a ball that doesn’t spin much. There are par 4’s that you can’t actually reach in 2 and you can’t reach any par 5 in 2 either. It seems implausible anyone could shoot so low unless they are holing shots from the fairway with 30mph winds

I responded to your post in the other thread as well. As I mentioned there, I believe you're wrong about the ball. It appears to me that a player can choose whatever ball he or she wants to play.

And as I also mentioned in the other thread, Bethpage is not all the difficult of a course on WGT. (Don't let the reputation of the course in real life affect how you view its difficulty on here.)

Indeed, many players who want to lower their averages will chose the front 9 of Bethpage. And going low on the back 9 is also doable. The first time I shot a 28 as a Legend was on the back 9 of Bethpage (IIRC).  

• TopShelf2010
    10,879 Posts
    Sat, Jan 18 2020 11:14 AM

• Young46
    1,291 Posts
    Sat, Jan 18 2020 4:21 PM

Oliverk44:

I get how people can shoot 50’s with all the gear etc, but can someone please explain to me how in the e-tour qualifying that’s taking place now, someone has shot 57!?

how do they manage it?

I heard a rumor the guy leading now with a 54 used the elusive iDing9000 to get his score ... someone needs to report that guy! 

• TopShelf2010
    10,879 Posts
    Sat, Jan 18 2020 4:36 PM

• callaghan159
    6,214 Posts
    Sat, Jan 18 2020 6:25 PM

Young46:
    heard a rumor the guy leading now with a 55 used the elusive iDing9000 to get his score ... someone needs to report that guy! 

I use the newest iDing. The "iDing10000". The Ding bar is 1 inch wide, and with my 12 meter speed ball even a blind man can hit it. 

• Robert1893
    7,651 Posts
    Sat, Jan 18 2020 7:11 PM

callaghan159:
    I use the newest iDing. The "iDing10000". The Ding bar is 1 inch wide, and with my 12 meter speed ball even a blind man can hit it.

What can one say? The other guy is old school, preferring to stay with the trusted 9000. Can’t say I really blame him. 

• Young46
    1,291 Posts
    Sat, Jan 18 2020 11:10 PM

Oliverk44:

how do they manage it?

[View:http://www.wgt.com/themes/wgt/utility/:550:0]

RSS