Forums

Help › Forums

Am I about to be a sucker or just living in an expensive city?

Thu, Dec 12 2019 11:46 PM (41 replies)
  • craigswan
    30,953 Posts
    Wed, Dec 4 2019 7:23 AM

I have a 3 quotes rule .

Then i  usually go with the middle one .

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Wed, Dec 4 2019 11:59 AM

YankeeJim:
    What is a double din?

OK.

You are off my list of car stereo installers!!

8-)

• callaghan159
    6,220 Posts
    Wed, Dec 4 2019 12:59 PM

I don't have the patience so I let the pro's do it. Usually if there is a problem down the road they will take care of it with little or no cost. Money well spent. MHO

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Dec 4 2019 12:59 PM

DoctorLarry:

YankeeJim:
    What is a double din?

OK.

You are off my list of car stereo installers!!

8-)

LMAO. Never knew about Duetch Industri Normen until today.  :-D

• craigswan
    30,953 Posts
    Wed, Dec 4 2019 1:15 PM

Googled .

What is a double DIN car stereo?
    DIN refers to size 2″ x 8″ opening that a radio fits into. DIN stands for Duetch Industri Normen which the Germans starting using to standardize the radio's in Audi's, BMW's, Mercedes, VW's way back in the mid 80's. It has since become the industry standard. DOUBLE DIN is the same width of 8″ but is 4″ instead of 2″.
    Now i will have to kill you .
    Stick your 2 fingers in please .
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Dec 4 2019 2:45 PM

Haha, Craig, that's where I got my copy/paste.  :-D

• gonfission
    2,229 Posts
    Wed, Dec 4 2019 2:55 PM

If I may......

$135 per hour U.S., is not bad at all. Everyone has great points made above.

A U.S. mechanic that is ASE certified, all are, or they can not legally do a plethora of repairs to your car, truck, vehicle, is being charged out by the boss at $110.00 + per hour.

That is working on American cars, Import mechanics get about $135 - $165 + now. The $110 is dirt cheap, local yokel pricing....Dealership is about $150 + per hour

Every part on your car has a time the dealers are not allowed to go over, and charge you extra. The book time on such an install would most likely be only 2 hours. More likely about 1.25

Time set up and install, and CLEAN UP.......2 hours

As pointed out, he has education, tools, and LIABILITY!!!

That's the biggie, everyone forgets about. What happens if something goes wrong a week later? You're on your way back to the installer, to have him fix it, FOR FREE!!

$135.00 for 1.25 hours of work with a technical background education, is a VERY SMALL price once you have all the facts.....Don't expect me to fix a problem outside of my install for free, at that price.....

Now you may begin to understand the cost of being self employed.

We need to make SOME profit, to protect ourselves from subservient materials. If it breaks on its own, he should be paid more to look at the problem. However, if he made a decent profit margin, and is reputable, he will diagnose it for free.

Then most likely do what is necessary to fix it afterwards.

$135.00 is a relative amount. I am currently working in heavy equipment. When I need something as simple as a hydraulic hose repaired (did 2 last Wednesday) I can expect at the very least, a 300.00 + bill for a SHORT new hose.

If I break a tooth shank on my bucket on rock, I can expect to buy a new bucket for $10,000.00 MINIMUM! Medium size bucket.

So, everything is relative, (Einstein)

A stereo for the heavy equipment is about $7,000.00 U.S..  A stereo for a Harley Davidson is about $5,000.00.

Both are pricey because of the massive vibrations they have to void. Costs big dollars for the right stuff.

Also relative, is the cost to you, vs your paycheck. If you only bring home 500 - 600 a week, then $135 is a chunk of money. If you're making 2 grand a week, then $135 is not so bad, for not having any future worries.

I will pay good deals of money, to have little or no aggravation. Allowing me to continue with my unburdened task at hand. Not two burdening tasks.......

As far as shocks and 12 volts.....

There are a few capacitors in some of these newer rolling computers, that top out at 30,000 volts.

Wont kill you, but it will let you know, why you should spend $135 smackers an hour, to be safe

$135, and a professional owns it....... Not bad in my book at all

Let the pro do it

Then all you do is enjoy it

good luck

Top notch answers Peeps

------------------------<*{{{{{-(

• mrmp1
    534 Posts
    Wed, Dec 4 2019 3:24 PM

Yes , highly overpaid elderly adolescents where the avg fan cant afford to watch them play in person

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Dec 4 2019 4:59 PM

gonfission:

A U.S. mechanic that is ASE certified, all are, or they can not legally do a plethora of repairs to your car, truck, vehicle, is being charged out by the boss at $110.00 + per hour.

That is working on American cars, Import mechanics get about $135 - $165 + now. The $110 is dirt cheap, local yokel pricing....Dealership is about $150 + per hour

Yet the actual guy that does the work gets the Chilton rate (or worse yet, the factory warranty rate) times HIS hourly rate and it sure ain't that high. Side jobs were cash bread and butter for good mechanics and a job like a stereo install is a Saturday morning, get beer money for Saturday night job.    ;-)

p.s., 10 year flat rate mechanic back when $15/hr was big $$. Never flagged less than 40 hours a week.  LOL

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,497 Posts
    Wed, Dec 4 2019 5:00 PM

Joe, Lucky, Jim, Hazen, Carl, Craig, DoctorLarry, callaghan159, gonfission and mrmp1,

Thank you all for the feedback and opinions despite of the lack of information given from my part.

I bought this vehicle, 2005 Nissan X-trail a month ago as my family was facing the need of a second car, and above all, it was an offer that I couldn't refuse : $3,800 for a fourteen-year-old SUV well maintained and detailed with the mileage of 187,000 km, leather seats, a wide sun roof, full options and the whole nine yards. The previous owner was a cool, straightforward guy and told me well in advance the two downsides of it : 1) the headlight high-beam not working; and 2) the old radio/cd player (the original double-din) not working either. I thought it wouldn't matter much and also couldn't find any other problem during the test drive & inspection inside-out. Bought it and been driving it for about 2-3 weeks now, it runs great, smooth BUT I know I really need a car stereo in it now. LOL As I didn't really want to invest too much on this old wagon, I bought myself this cheap aftermarket car stereo for $100 and that's where my dilemma started. $100 for the unit and $180 for its installation?! If the guy charged me around... I dunno $80 - $100?, it would've kinda made sense for me instead of going for DIY and buying tools that I will probably never use again, but $180??!! It's like the tail wagging the dog!

I guess I'll have to look around more and go for either DIY or Craig's 3 quotes rule. LOL

Anyway, once again much appreciated, guys! Cheers.

RSS