Forums

Help › Forums

Immovable obstruction

rated by 0 users
Fri, Nov 29 2019 2:13 PM (8 replies)
  • andwhy67
    2,816 Posts
    Thu, Nov 28 2019 4:45 AM

Played Congressional front 9, Second shot to the 6th (par5) and I thought it was going in the water, made the right side of the green (just) and looked like it rolled against the wood bordering the water.

Immovable obstruction appeared and placed me across the pond, behind the front pin. Playing on mobile, all happened really quick and didn’t have a chance for a screen shot.

Just wondered if anyone else has had something similar? 

• ScottHope
    10,078 Posts
    Thu, Nov 28 2019 6:07 AM

I think the area where your ball ended is defined as cement and not wood, and if you get onto that surface you get a free drop as you are on an immovable obstruction. It is a bit harsh though to be dropped on the other side of the pond.

Here's another example, got a free drop after this shot as I chipped it onto the path to test it.

• andwhy67
    2,816 Posts
    Thu, Nov 28 2019 6:24 AM

It was the back pin, so from the fairway it was pin high right, the camera angle let me see the ball bounce and the ball sort of nestled back into the edge of the grass, against the timber/wood 2-3 rolls back and it would have got wet.

No worries, just never seen it before, but a lousy drop.

• HackWilson1930
    1,437 Posts
    Fri, Nov 29 2019 5:08 AM

I have had it happen on ST. A #1 with a tee shot that got to edge of the burn but not in. Said free drop but since I was not in water hit from where I was.

• whooshdangit
    1,246 Posts
    Fri, Nov 29 2019 6:43 AM

Hi

ScottHope:

Here's another example, got a free drop after this shot as I chipped it onto the path to test it.

Superb chip Scott, skillfully done 😉.
    So far I've only managed to find cement at Chambers Bay, I've had my suspicions it might be elsewhere but *ahem* nothing concrete.

I've also seen Cart Path on my travels.

On the hole in question though, that's happened to me several times, and on one occasion I bounced off the wall, flew over the pond, bounced off the water (maybe it hit one of my previous balls in there) hit the path and landed under a picnic table. There I discovered "2-5% Second Cut Rough" the one and only time I've ever found, or indeed heard of it.

Cheers!

Rich

• ScottHope
    10,078 Posts
    Fri, Nov 29 2019 7:41 AM

whooshdangit:
    Superb chip Scott, skillfully done [...] nothing concrete.

Lol, thank you Rich. : ))

Picnic table? I wouldn't be surprised to find one of those in the Unity game, it'd fit right in with the bonkers turkey hats!

One of my friends hit a cart path shot (not deliberate) on Pebble Beach one time, it went so far along the path it rolled out of bounds. WGT ran out of photographs with which to follow it, lol. 

• whooshdangit
    1,246 Posts
    Fri, Nov 29 2019 8:39 AM

Hi Scott

Ah yes, the "No Photo" lie.

I managed that on the same hole at Chambers Bay. (the 9th)

I never even appeared in the replay! The arrow appeared at the side of the screen then, several seconds later, my ball. It bounced along the path, missed the cement and finished in a "No Photo" . To confuse things even more, WTF WGT then put the thing on a tee : ))

Cheers!

Rich

• ScottHope
    10,078 Posts
    Fri, Nov 29 2019 1:14 PM

That's a weird hole in my opinion Rich, hehe. I'm not surprised to hear of odd goings on over there.  : ))

• TyMacni
    1,573 Posts
    Fri, Nov 29 2019 2:13 PM

andwhy67:
    Just wondered if anyone else has had something similar? 

Yes. On Royal St G's, at the Suez Canal. The wind was blowing straight from behind me. I aimed at the center of the the little crossing bridge and tried to Drive over it. My ball landed on the bridge, rolled part way across, then off the right side. I thought it was gone, but then I got the Immovable Obstruction  notice flashed up, and I was given a free drop. I had no idea what had occurred .

I looked at the replay. The retaining wall is made of individual pieces so it is not smooth and straight down. On the far side wall of the canal,  where my ball rolled off, a small piece stuck out just above the water level. I landed on it.  

I watched the replay several times. As I attempted to save it, I experience an error message saying  I needed to close the window and try again.  Oh well, that's another part in the story of my life. LOL

TyMacni

RSS