Forums

Help › Forums

St Andrews in reverse

Sun, Nov 10 2019 3:50 AM (7 replies)
  • fobby1980
    310 Posts
    Sat, Nov 9 2019 12:14 PM

TIL a very fascinating fact: St Andrews’ current counter-clockwise routing as we know it was not the original choice. Up until the late 1800’s golfers actually played it clockwise, starting from the first tee and playing to the 17th green, and so forth. The more I delved into this topic (Jeremy Glenn at golfclubatlas.com has an excellent article about Reverse St Andrews), I realized it makes so much sense. We all see bunkers and hazards at StA that make absolutely no sense at all, right? Well they were designed and placed there because StA were routed clockwise back in the days. 

The reverse routing, or the original routing continued to be played regularly up until the late 1920’s, then Royal Links Trust shut it down, saving for the occasional special times.  

So, a humble suggestion for WGT. If somehow they could get the approval from RLT to map the entire reverse routing and create a brand new STA it would be the coolest addition ever to WGT, bar none. In fact I think the entire community should petition for this to happen.  

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Sat, Nov 9 2019 12:47 PM

You can play it for real soon, if you're lucky enough.

• craigswan
    30,953 Posts
    Sat, Nov 9 2019 12:48 PM

I knew about this .

Interesting idea .

Image result for st andrews golf course gifs

• craigswan
    30,953 Posts
    Sat, Nov 9 2019 12:49 PM

sat on this bridge only yesterday .

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Sat, Nov 9 2019 10:43 PM

craigswan:

sat on this bridge only yesterday .

Could you look for some of my golf balls there?  THey are white and spherical with dimples.

• craigswan
    30,953 Posts
    Sun, Nov 10 2019 3:48 AM

The old golfer paced anxiously up and down outside he emergency room of the East Lothian Hospital near Muirfield Golf Course. Inside the doctors were operating to remove a golf ball accidentally driven down a player's throat. The sister-in-charge noticed the old golfer and went to reassure him. "It won't be long now," she said. "You're a relative?" "No, no, lassie. It's my ball."

• craigswan
    30,953 Posts
    Sun, Nov 10 2019 3:49 AM

MacTavish was watching a game of golf for the first time and was asked by a friend what he thought of the game. He replied "It looks to me like a harmless little ball chased by men too old to chase anything else..."

• craigswan
    30,953 Posts
    Sun, Nov 10 2019 3:50 AM

"It is now generally accepted that golf did not originate in Scotland. No Scotsman would invent a game in which it was possible to lose a ball."

RSS