Help › Forums

Upper tier Putters!

rated by 0 users
Mon, Oct 26 2020 7:41 PM (62 replies)
  • DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Tue, Nov 12 2019 11:12 AM

flatstick96:
    Point of all of that is to say: just because you don't love a putter immediately doesn't mean you won't eventually come around and fall in love with it once you're more familiar with it.  Next time there's a free rental weekend, try it again before you write it off completely.

Totally agree.

It also applies to any club, IMO.  Since we rarely change clubs to one that has the same characteristics as the one we have, you must take some time to adjust. 

I think that is particularly true for putters since forgiveness can really affect ding or off-ding putting styles.

• LostArkitekt
    2 Posts
    Wed, Nov 13 2019 11:12 AM

I'm not as high level as you, but I bought a Spider putter that was "on paper" 3 times better than the starter putter.  However, and this isn't due to mishits, etc., it is AWFUL on distance.  The putt will say 6 ft with 0 inches up, and I'll hit it at 7.5 feet, and it still won't get there.  Then, sometimes, I'll hit it with the same scenario, and it will roll 2 ft past the hole.  I think WGT does this on purpose to make money.  I should be putting BETTER with a much better putter (on spec), but I have been putting worse.  Funny thing is that I go to the putting green, and I putt like a BAUS, but the distance control doesn't translate to the games, and I think this is in the program...so now that I just bought a putter, they want me to spend money on a better one.

• borntobesting
    9,623 Posts
    Thu, Nov 14 2019 5:26 AM

LostArkitekt:

I'm not as high level as you, but I bought a Spider putter that was "on paper" 3 times better than the starter putter.  However, and this isn't due to mishits, etc., it is AWFUL on distance.  The putt will say 6 ft with 0 inches up, and I'll hit it at 7.5 feet, and it still won't get there.  Then, sometimes, I'll hit it with the same scenario, and it will roll 2 ft past the hole.  I think WGT does this on purpose to make money.  I should be putting BETTER with a much better putter (on spec), but I have been putting worse.  Funny thing is that I go to the putting green, and I putt like a BAUS, but the distance control doesn't translate to the games, and I think this is in the program...so now that I just bought a putter, they want me to spend money on a better one.

No they don't do it to make money. The level 19 Spider was just a lousy putter. I don't know very many people who liked it. I hated it. There were plenty of other putters that were better in the game than they were on paper. I think the level 19 Spider was one of their first better putters. And the programming just didn't match the specs. You should have asked others about the Spider before buying it. Most of us would have said " DON'T WASTE YOUR CREDITS ON THAT PIECE OF CRAP! Sorry about the yelling but that is how much I hated it, 

• LostArkitekt
    2 Posts
    Fri, Dec 13 2019 6:55 AM

I think a lot of the programming is done to get you to buy new stuff...otherwise, it shouldn't matter.  If the "specs" listed are better than other putters, then it should perform better than other putters.  Should it perform as good as a "Level 50" putter...of course not, but it SHOULD perform up to spec.  For instance, I just hit two putts that were up 17" and 48 ft away and up 21" and 48 ft away.  The latter one, I hit it just past the 50 ft mark (barely) on the 100 ft putt scale.  The ball raced 10 ft past the hole...21" is a decent incline.  The former (17") up, I put it basically right on the 50 ft mark, and it didn't even make it to the hole.  NO putter should have that kind of control when it says it has better control than the free putter you started with...no matter how "bad" the putter is.

• SlickHunter
    1,034 Posts
    Fri, Dec 13 2019 10:40 AM

I’ve tried all the high end putters, and I still suck at it. It’s your ability to read putts, and less reliant on which putter.

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Fri, Dec 13 2019 5:38 PM

SlickHunter:

I’ve tried all the high end putters, and I still suck at it. It’s your ability to read putts, and less reliant on which putter.

Very True

• Julius0007
    52 Posts
    Fri, Dec 13 2019 10:35 PM

This has become so misconstrued....when I first started this post it was to show the failure of wgt to be honest when advertising new equipment and not just throw out garbage for others to invest in without some kind of return.

I did not in any way think that buying the level 98 scotty Cameron putter would make me a putting genius and greatly improve my game. I just wanted honesty in advertising....when I bought a driver or club that was advertised as longer distance or a slower meter or more accuracy....well guess what, I got a driver or club with longer distance, slower meter, or better accuracy. One of the reasons people upgrade is to get these better qualities. 

My complaint was not to have a putter that makes me a great putter....I realize that reading greens is an art and a talent....however, when I bought and sold back this putter, it was because if anything, it had worse accuracy and no rhyme or reason on how the ball came off the putter. All I wanted was a putter that had a wee bit more accuracy when upgrading to one that is high priced  and advertised with better stats. I dont want to be given a putt....you have to earn them, but to false advertise just ticked me off....example....I use a level 74 driver that has a distance of 280....and the level 99 driver goes 289....9 yards further....that's why we upgrade, to improve certain qualities....and it's the same in golf balls....you all who use the good titleist, didnt buy it for average distance....it was advertised with longer distance and better ball stats....that's what you pay for and what you get in return.

My main complaint was strictly that wgt needs to back up what they put out on the market. They work hard and do a great job....I just feel this was a big shortcoming for them and the consumer is somewhat deceived for their profit!

• fobby1980
    310 Posts
    Sat, Dec 14 2019 9:45 PM

LostArkitekt:

I think a lot of the programming is done to get you to buy new stuff...otherwise, it shouldn't matter.  If the "specs" listed are better than other putters, then it should perform better than other putters.  Should it perform as good as a "Level 50" putter...of course not, but it SHOULD perform up to spec.  For instance, I just hit two putts that were up 17" and 48 ft away and up 21" and 48 ft away.  The latter one, I hit it just past the 50 ft mark (barely) on the 100 ft putt scale.  The ball raced 10 ft past the hole...21" is a decent incline.  The former (17") up, I put it basically right on the 50 ft mark, and it didn't even make it to the hole.  NO putter should have that kind of control when it says it has better control than the free putter you started with...no matter how "bad" the putter is.

Terrain plays a very important role also. Say you have 2 identical length putts with identical elevation, however one is fairly flat for maybe 3/4 of the length with a huge sudden change in elevation. The other one’s elevation increase gradually. With the same putting power, I guarantee the first one will travel a longer distance. 

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Sat, Dec 14 2019 11:11 PM

Julius0007:

This has become so misconstrued....when I first started this post it was to show the failure of wgt to be honest when advertising new equipment and not just throw out garbage for others to invest in without some kind of return.

I did not in any way think that buying the level 98 scotty Cameron putter would make me a putting genius and greatly improve my game. I just wanted honesty in advertising....when I bought a driver or club that was advertised as longer distance or a slower meter or more accuracy....well guess what, I got a driver or club with longer distance, slower meter, or better accuracy. One of the reasons people upgrade is to get these better qualities. 

You earlier said this:

Julius0007:

I immediately bought this putter and obviously thought I would gain even a little more accuracy and ability in my putting game....however, it was immediately apparent that this putter was some kind of joke (I am a mobile player and have been since I began in 2017, and a 10 in all my abilities, which definitely includes putting). 

Your words indicated that you did not try this putter very long to learn the differences.  (This in spite of your assurances that you are a "10" in everything.............)

This is the best putter in the Pro Shop - you have to work with it.  It is exactly the same as the Sabretooth that preceded it - exactly.  You said you noticed top players all had that putter - for good reason.

IMHO, you should have not been so hasty in selling it back.  You have to play a new club in ranked mode to learn it - practice and putting greens will no work as well.

I had the L94 Red Spider before I got the Phantom and rather quickly found the advantages of the Phantom.  It was not immediate, but with a little play, my results improved.  I have a long way to go with regard to reading putts, but this putter puts the ball where I aim it.

RSS