Forums

Help › Forums

Armistice Day.

Mon, Nov 11 2019 10:01 PM (19 replies)
  • PAGES
  • andwhy67
    2,816 Posts
    Thu, Nov 7 2019 10:53 AM

Please let’s not forget this weekend is Remembrance Sunday and on Monday is Armistice Day. 
    11th Day, 11th Month, 11’o clock

Thoughts are with those who have fought and died in wars, past and present.

I wish you people would stick to your side of the pond

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Thu, Nov 7 2019 7:34 PM

andwhy67:

Please let’s not forget this weekend is Remembrance Sunday and on Monday is Armistice Day. 

Good reminder.

For some reason the US decided to call it Veterans Day back when it became a federal holiday - but the intent is the same.

A lot of folks from numerous continents and countries fought and died for freedom - a good reason to honor all who served honorably!

(The picture did not show up for me unless I went to it directly - don't know why?)

https://imgur.com/gallery/LnV1l1A

• MikeSaxon
    177 Posts
    Fri, Nov 8 2019 12:24 AM

Time for us to remember the fallen and what they did for us.

R.I.P. brave souls.

• WigerToods2010
    8,445 Posts
    Fri, Nov 8 2019 5:16 AM

DoctorLarry:
    (The picture did not show up for me unless I went to it directly - don't know why?)

From your link I right-click "Show image" and this is the url :

https://i.imgur.com/4j3M82V.jpg

• jacktrade51
    10,890 Posts
    Fri, Nov 8 2019 12:50 PM

andwhy67:

Nice old time reference to name of the holiday.  11, 11, 11 … I learned that as a kid.  Communications were much harder in those days.  It took time for the various armies to get word out to the soldiers to stop fighting.  (Even in the Vietnam War, it was weeks before the Paris Peace agreement was agreed to and cessation of combat.)

To one above question/comment, Congress changed it from Armistice Day to Veterans Day in 1954.  All the veterans groups supported that and Pres. Eisenhower signed it into law.

And my thoughts to all who have served my country in combat, as well as other WGT members who served their countries as patriots.

Tom.

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Fri, Nov 8 2019 1:17 PM

DoctorLarry:

andwhy67:

Good reminder.

For some reason the US decided to call it Veterans Day back when it became a federal holiday - but the intent is the same.

A lot of folks from numerous continents and countries fought and died for freedom - a good reason to honor all who served honorably!

https://imgur.com/gallery/LnV1l1A

The United States saw fit to change the name to Veterans Day, in remembrance for all veterans, whom served in the Armed Forces, not just those who fought in Germany during WWl.  Armistice day was declared for those WWL  veterans only. 

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Fri, Nov 8 2019 2:52 PM

WigerToods2010:

From your link I right-click "Show image" and this is the url :

https://i.imgur.com/4j3M82V.jpg

Yes - that is why I posted the direct link.  Thanks for showing it.

• ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Fri, Nov 8 2019 3:10 PM

Thank you for posting this. I lost a few good friends in the Balkans war and the Afghan war...I was lucky enough to come back in one piece...but the memories will stay with me forever.

God bless those who made the ultimate sacrifice.

ct

• VinnyGoombotz
    324 Posts
    Fri, Nov 8 2019 5:31 PM

Thank you all ,I was hit by a motar in Viet Nam the day before I was going to leave .Thank god I am  still in one piece,i came home with a cast on my arm and found out my friend had stepped on a mine and died Pauly was 17 years old .

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Fri, Nov 8 2019 8:11 PM

Thanks for the posts jacktrade51 and Luckystar5.

That was just s dumb thing in my post - I should know better!

• PAGES
RSS