Forums

Help › Forums

[Solution] Error installing launcher

rated by 0 users
Sun, Oct 20 2019 5:01 PM (5 replies)
  • LEDzZzEPP
    501 Posts
    Fri, Oct 18 2019 5:29 PM

I have found a possible solution for those who can't install the wgt app launcher, due this error:

"An error has occurred while applying security settings. Users is not a valid user or group." This could be a problem with the package or a problem connecting to a domain controller on the network. Check your network connecting and click retry or cancel to end install"

This is a Windows message telling you that the group called “Users” is missing. You can use Basics, which set the security permissions in Windows to allow access for all users.

The most common reason for not having a group called Users is because you are using a non-English language version (as the system can't find the group named "Users"). You will need to create a new group and name it “Users

1) Right-click on My Computer and select Manage.

2) Open the Local Users and Group tree.

3) Open the Groups folder and search for a profile named Users. If not found, right-click on the Groups folder and select New Group. Type in Users (case sensitive) as the New Group name and select Create.

4) Open the Groups folder and search for a profile named Administrators. If not found, right-click on the Groups folder and select New Group. Type in Administrators (case sensitive) as the New Group name and select Create.

5) Close the Computer Management window, restart the system

• dedBuNNy
    1,919 Posts
    Sun, Oct 20 2019 2:17 PM

Ya, good old MS, removing Local Users and Groups from Home - yay marketing! 

• LEDzZzEPP
    501 Posts
    Sun, Oct 20 2019 2:52 PM

dedBuNNy:

Ya, good old MS, removing Local Users and Groups from Home - yay marketing! 

This error happens to me, & i was able to solve the problem at install the launcher, via this fix, (i have uninstalled it, but thats another thing)

I see others have share the same error, it may be caused due language OS (a simple & fast fix)

So..relax, and please do not desvirtue the thread

• dedBuNNy
    1,919 Posts
    Sun, Oct 20 2019 4:00 PM

Actually what I was saying, is that MS removed Local Users and Groups from the Home version... The snapin  to create Local Users  or Groups won't work on some versions.

There is more than one reason why people can get that type of issue on Windows, yours is one as well. 

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Sun, Oct 20 2019 5:00 PM

dedBuNNy:

Actually what I was saying, is that MS removed Local Users and Groups from the Home version... The snapin  to create Local Users  or Groups won't work on some versions.

There is more than one reason why people can get that type of issue on Windows, yours is one as well. 

I right click on the launcher, select properties, then security. You will groups and user names, now click advance and add Users with full permissions.

Now click Apply and then OK and apply and Ok again.

I'm not sure if you have to restart or not. It should work now.

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Sun, Oct 20 2019 5:01 PM

dedBuNNy:

Only the Pro version has Group Management

RSS