Forums

Help › Forums

IF YOU LOVE YOUR DOG'S....A "TAIL" OF TWO..🐕

Sat, Oct 19 2019 1:03 PM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • JDGHOST
    6,748 Posts
    Fri, Oct 18 2019 7:23 AM
    R.I.P Cooper ...I will never forget you.........
    13 Jun 2019

COOPER ^^^

Ya know how they say a dog is man's best friend?....Now I truly know what they mean...Some of you (In TFC) know about Cooper my dog....The "Hero" that once protected me by taking on a HUGE Black Bear here in the Adirondack Mountains.....A dog that truly was special....I rescued him at about 8 months old in Florida  literally 2 hours before he was to be put down  ....that was only 6 or 7 years ago...The thing was HE rescued me! We have been pretty much inseparable since that first day....I  never had a dog so loyal and love me so much as "The Coop"..About 5 weeks ago we were playing ball as always...He was full of energy and his normal 90 lb "Pitty"  strength  was strong as ever...2 days later he looked a bit off? He never was sick or needed a vet except for his shots ever before..Well it turned out he had 2 forms of Lyme disease including Lyme nephritis...This morning after a tough long fight and 3 vets (including UVS the best animal hospital in the northeast) I lost Cooper..Would have given him one of my kidneys if I could have... no lie!! The disease just destroyed his vital organs..So please... those of you who have dogs the Vets told me Lyme is at the highest rate they have ever seen this year so.. be weary...Anyway I set up a tourney for Cooper because he ALWAYS sat right next to me as I played this infernal game ...listening to me say "yeah" when I made a 40 foot bomb putt or F*** this game when I lipped out a 4 footer...Always looking at me with his head tilted as I yelled... lol.....So if you have the time play his tourney.....But Just wanted y'all to know bout him ...I will never fully recover from this loss 😟... thanks for listening....................PLEASE SCROLL DOWN TO READ MORE ...V V V V 

UPDATE AUGUST 2019 ....AFTER THE DEVASTATING LOSS OF COOPER (STILL IN A BAD DEPRESSION AND ON THE ADVICE OF SOME FRIENDS)....I  GOT INVOLVED WITH 2 LOVELY LADIES IN NYC WHO PULL DOGS FROM THE HIGH KILL SHELTER THAT ARE ON "THE LIST" THAT HAVE A WEEK OR LESS TO LIVE.....THRU THEIR SMALL PRIVATE RESCUE...AND AFTER 36 HOURS OF OF DILIGENT PHONE CONVERSATIONS I FOUND "TEDDY" ...A 1 AND I/2 YEAR OLD BRINDLE PITBULL THAT HAD ABOUT 40 HOURS TO LIVE....WELL THEY MANAGED TO PULL HIM WITH "24 MINS!!!" LEFT...TWO DAYS LATER PUT HIM ON A TRANSPORT TO ME IN UPSTATE NY ALL ON THEIR DIME.......POOR GUY WAS A WEAK SKIN AND BONES 58 LBS 😥....WELL HAPPY TO SAY IT'S BEEN 7 WEEKS NOW HE IS A HEALTHY STRONG 80 LBS AND HE HAS NOT LEFT MY SIDE(SOUND FAMILIAR?) WE ARE BUILDING A GREAT FRIENDSHIP AND ALTHOUGH I MISS COOPER EVERYDAY I HOPE HE LOOKS DOWN ON ME FROM DOGIE HEAVEN AND IS HAPPY I HELPED TO SAVE ONE OF HIS BRETHREN AND WOULD WANT THIS FOR ME AND TEDDY !!...ONE DAY MAYBE WE ALL WILL BE TOGETHER ....MISS YA BUDDY....

AGAIN ....THANKS FOR LISTENING......           

TEDDY  ^^^

WAS READING THIS ON MY WALL TODAY  (STILL GET A TEAR WHEN I THINK OF COOPER)....ANYWAY JUST THOUGHT I'D SHARE..... 

JD👻

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,468 Posts
    Fri, Oct 18 2019 7:37 AM

You did the right thing, JD and I'm sure Cooper had a good life with/thanks to you. RIP Cooper.

I wish you and Teddy all the best! You're a good man, A GOOD MAN!

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Oct 18 2019 8:19 AM

As a veteran of having to put more than one " best friend" down I totally feel for you JD. Good move rescuing Teddy, you can both heal together.  ;-)

• nammvett
    123 Posts
    Fri, Oct 18 2019 9:54 AM

AGAIN ....THANKS FOR LISTENING......           

TEDDY  ^^^

WAS READING THIS ON MY WALL TODAY  (STILL GET A TEAR WHEN THINK OF COOPER)....ANYWAY JUST THOUGHT I'D SHARE..... 

JD👻

You just about broke my heart with that story JD.  Similar experience for me...not only with my dog, but my Cat also.  I'm still holding on to the club invite you sent me...I may be with you sooner than expected...thank you sir--nammvett (Gary)

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Fri, Oct 18 2019 10:15 AM

RIP Cooper and hello Teddy.

I've only had to deal with the loss of cats and small pets (fish, hamsters etc) with my two daughters and wife.  We have one dog that is same age as my youngest daughter (13) and I dread the day when I have to putt her down or deal with her passing.  Knowing it's going to happen some day.  Heck, I can still get a bit teary eyed just thinking about my last dog as a kid being put down and that was 25 years ago.  My parents still have his collar hanging on the wall as a decoration.  

I now have the dog and two cats, one cat (ferrel) I rescued from a neighbors bush just over a year ago and now she fits in with my other cat and the dog like they've been together forever.  Keep telling myself no more after these because we can't go through that again but I know better.  I will always have a pet in my household.  :)   

My plan though is in the future when that time comes, I will rescue older pets that no one else wanted giving them a few more good years of life.

• pmm711
    5,505 Posts
    Fri, Oct 18 2019 10:18 AM

JD,

I've had as many as 11 Weimaraners at the same time...1 German Wirehair Griffon...and now 2 Beagle sisters.  I've loved them all more than some of my family...as we probably all do.  So...

Prayers out to you and Coop.  He sounded like one he!! of a pooch and I hate he got hit with the Lyme.  I think Teddy will be a blessing for you.  He's very lucky to have YOU for him now.  He's already thriving from your attention.  Forward on and as you're aware...Coop will ALWAYS remain with you.

Godspeed!

Paul

• Pego1986
    124 Posts
    Fri, Oct 18 2019 10:22 AM

same as me and Fiona (she passed away at 29.5.2019) still sad...i rescued her from shelter and she was my sweety. After 3 months I rescued Megie and now building friendship (2 months together now), she is scare of everything but it better day by day. I know how you feel JD ! We never forget our best friends !

this is megie :) my new buddy and me at trip 

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Fri, Oct 18 2019 1:53 PM

We have had soooooo many dogs over the years but 2 of them were particularly hard to lose....one was like losing a kid!

The other dog I just love to death is the "Boss" of the house, Max, who is a 13 yr. old Yorkie!

ALL the dogs are afraid of him, he runs the show, that is all 5.5 lbs of him...

EVERY dog we have had was a free dog(Yeah Right, if you have a "free" dog you don't take care of it) LOL

My daughter is a Dog Stylist, and works part time at a Vet Hospital, she brings home every dog she sees that is a puppy and sick, doctors them back to health, and Max protects them from the other dogs....she then re-homes them to someone, usually a home she already got to take a previous dog she had....she is good at that somehow!

Sorry for your loss, I definitely get it....our house backs right up to a park, and we have 100's of deer in the area, and millions of ticks....Lyme disease is a big, NO. HUGE threat around here and she pays particular attention to flea and tick medicines...

Frontline used to be the top tier medication for them around here for years and years, but it "NO longer works" in this area (West St. Louis County, but basically the state of Missouri)....so read up on them if you have a pet....

Our dogs would go out in the "yard" which is fenced, and come in with 4-5 ticks on them when we used frontline medication towards the end....I would cut the grass with a riding mower, then finish it with a push mower and get s few on me in 5 minutes until we used the flea/tick spray for the yard...now it is a big yard with woods on one side of it....

I'm NOT saying Frontline isn't any good, because it was great for decades...the vermin in this area have developed an immunity to it is what I am telling you, that is from the Vet hospital, I don't know anything! LOL

• BOZskills
    388 Posts
    Fri, Oct 18 2019 2:03 PM

Good on ya JD!!! Made me cry!!😇

• Ladychipper
    22,630 Posts
    Sat, Oct 19 2019 8:44 AM

Hi JD,

I can barely type this because of tears.  This broke my heart thinking of you and what you went through. 

I have had many dogs and cats that have passed on plus a daughter as well.  It is always very difficult to keep going.  I can tell you that in time it does get easier and you will always have the memories and Cooper is still with you in spirit and in your heart. 

The best way we can honor them is to do exactly what you did and adopt another needy fur baby.  There are so many that need our love. 

I wish you and Teddy all the best and I am sure he will be a valuable and grateful friend to you as well. 

I firmly believe that we will see our pets again one day.  Heck, I will have a whole tribe.  

Blessings,

Marion XO

• PAGES
RSS