Forums

Help › Forums

NOX Users Beware

rated by 0 users
Fri, Nov 8 2019 8:31 AM (6 replies)
  • JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Mon, Oct 7 2019 5:32 PM

I did the upgrade today, and got two unwanted programs along with it. One was easy to get rid of. Regular uninstall worked. The other, Chromium, was not. The danger is that Chromium can and has been manipulated with Adware and Malware. I don't know for sure this one was, but I was taking no chances, especially since it had been configured to NOT have uninstall work. VERY suspicious.

If anyone has this and would like to remove it:

Malwarebytes got most of it. The installation also makes it a startup program, so I had to turn that off and restart before I could manually remove the folder. Another bit of nastiness was that it was installed in the user directory, so a simple system restore wouldn't work. 
    I ran regedit. There seemed to be no lasting influence there. 

Further beware: I use Chrome and this install put some extensions there as well. Chrome will notify you of this. Just tell it not to activate them. Oh, Malwarebytes took care of those as well. 

I tried going to NOX to complain, but was stymied. 

• fmagnets
    3,638 Posts
    Mon, Oct 7 2019 8:58 PM

Did you download it from bignox.com, or have you got a scam copy from somewhere else?

• SECNation
    22 Posts
    Mon, Oct 7 2019 9:29 PM

Can you say whose site you Downloaded this Nox version from as there is only 1 trusted site and I would bet you did not get it there, at least I hope not as I have not had an issue from the site I use ever and I am in hopes that this has not changed!!

• JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Tue, Oct 8 2019 9:13 AM

I just clicked the update button in NOX having checked and found that there was one available. So I really don't know where it came from. I assume it was the original site, but have no way of knowing. I got it originally at bignox. 

In future, if I see an update is available, I'll go to the site to request rather than just hitting the update button.

It did mess up chrome for me. Flash no longer works right. I'll have to use Edge for PMs. I found a workaround that allows me to get to the gameclient in chrome, so play won't be affected. 

• JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Tue, Oct 8 2019 11:04 AM

JimbeauC:
    Flash no longer works right.

Settings reset in chrome fixed it.

• SECNation
    22 Posts
    Tue, Oct 8 2019 1:19 PM

Glad to hear you got it repaired!!

• JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Fri, Nov 8 2019 8:31 AM

New update last night, so I went to bignox to get it. The two programs DO come from them. Watch carefully. You can bypass the download/install. One, Bytefence can be easily removed. The problem one was Chromium from the last update. Total pain. 

It's possible that I would have had the option to bypass in the earlier instance and just missed it. 

RSS