Forums

Help › Forums

veteran & higher level player feedback section

Wed, Nov 13 2019 3:28 PM (146 replies)
  • AgentBrown123
    907 Posts
    Sun, Oct 13 2019 1:27 PM

DodgyPutter:

The best players wont spend anything as they will win the credits for anything they want, players down a bit, like us, will spend on balls and maybe the occasional piece of equipment but have most of what they need by now.

The money for wgt is in low level and new players, wgt hope they have many upgrades to come.  So what they don't need is them finding the game too difficult and giving it up, hence caps to hit the ball further, red tee, etc etc.  

Dodgy, you're reinforcing an idea that just isnt accurate from a business standpoint. Wgt doesn't understand this correctly.

The top players drive the lower level players and new players to get to that top level. Without us, what is there to shoot for?

Yes lower levels buy clubs and balls, but once they get to the top tier there isn't much of a point if you don't have that top level to shoot for.

All the better players leave and you don't have a game anymore. It's a little more complicated than that but that's about the gist of it.

Sure we don't spend money on credits, but we beat players that do and this drives them to become better and they end up spending money to get to that top level eventually.

It's short sited on their part. We matter way more than they think to the longevity of the game.

To the more complicated idea/rebuttle "oh there would just be a new high level after the best left". False. I don't think that's how it'll work out. People forget, it used to be that everyone would move on from a golf game anywhere from a year to every other year. Sales will slow until it becomes an abandoned platform. It once was full of virtual golfers who have tried every other golf game but stuck with wgt because you have something that is good, consistent and worth sticking to. You will basically be giving the boot to the golf community that has driven golf games into a success. From links ls to tiger woods to other big titles that we have all played but have chosen to play wgt over the other golf games for the past 10 + years. We will now jump to a different golf game. Wgt isnt estimating this fact that the best will move on and once there is something better everyone will follow too.That's happened to every golf game in the past. We matter wgt

To the old adage. If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

• JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Sun, Oct 13 2019 1:39 PM

salamicus:
    I played coin game with Icon. He just said people are not very interested in uneven.

I would have to say he's right. In my CC I sponsor weekly Handicapped UeL tourneys, with fairly substantial purses. Since it's handicapped and pays for the top 3, everyone who participates eventually wins something. 

Fewer than a quarter of the members participate. Some of my true converts say they would play regardless of the purses. 

I hope I'm wrong, but I really doubt that unevens will be available after flash dies.  

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Sun, Oct 13 2019 2:32 PM

AB, I'm not really looking for an aguement on this I was just using it to point out why I think the game is going to focus less on the skill based aspects.

AgentBrown123:
    The top players drive the lower level players and new players to get to that top level. Without us, what is there to shoot for?

Now you say that a couple of things occur to me.  There have been cases of the best players leaving before and all that happens is someone else fills these spots. There will be "best players" and a top level as long as there is a game. I'd also reckon that if the peak looked a bit nearer more would continue to go for it.

That said it would mean everyone shuffling up a bit and others then spending less than they were.  So in the end I agree the top players do keep others spending, although I reckon it's simply by stopping them earning enough credits to pay their way with winnings.  In the end the whole pyramid may matter equally.

I think we have a great bunch of top players all willing to help others; whether through their video's, explanitory threads (like your own), patiently answering questions even when they're daft, wall posts or whatever.  I can't think of one of the top players that wouldn't help someone that asked.  Without that help many would perhaps give up and stop playing. All that have appeared in the live games have given a boost to the game as well.  I wholeheartedly agree we'd be a much lesser group without you all. 

I just got down seeing the way the new game looks to be going and I can't worry much about dots etc if its going to be a gimicky cartoon.

ps Now you've changed your post but I'll leave this as is.  That there would be a new top level is a simple fact, what that would mean is open to interpretation.

• AgentBrown123
    907 Posts
    Sun, Oct 13 2019 2:39 PM

Sorry dodgy I just don't want to put out a bunch of different posts. Would rather condense it.

Has to be said though that there is a difference between a couple players quitting and most of the top players quitting. Of course a few will get replaced. New players arrived because the majority stayed to help.

Nice post though.

• salamicus
    1,016 Posts
    Sun, Oct 13 2019 2:43 PM

Don't know much about WGT business deal. This game runs, (unlike the other golf games which you buy through steam and just play forever)..on some pay to play, pay to win principles. But it is very hard to maintain winning in terms that you can always have it for balls. That can do some top players, so in it's regular aim it demands paying constantly. Unless you want just to play ball around for fun...So, I think game will always aim for new players , some fast cash, balls, makeups and interesting new clubs

I think if game is not conceptually the way it is, we could hope for some more "pro" stuff in it. But this way would be surprising if it still has something like "uel" in the future. And I think people wont play that cause it takes lot time to learn..and its ball eating machine if not experienced. Which again might be on purpose...

Nice to hear about c. club that has those tournaments Jimbeau. I might consider joining it one day...

Nik

edit:

Just wanted to add that main thing that I like about some new platform other than flash ...is simple fact that way it works, way meter works with flash is constantly spoiling every imaginable round I play. Whenever its something to be played to overcome some score...to advance from your regular round.. Meter will find it's way to ruin it. No matter which ball speed, or was it working nice for whole round...it just constantly does that. So I hoped for something where u can rely on it

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Sun, Oct 13 2019 7:41 PM

DodgyPutter:

DoctorLarry:
    Well, this is a beta version to get it out and get user feedback

It's an early access version, I had no idea what that was and wiki tells me this.......

Early access, also known as early fundingalpha-accessalpha founding, or paid-alpha, is a funding model in the video game industry by which consumers can purchase and play a game in the various pre-release development cycles, such as pre-alpha, alpha, and/or beta, while the developer is able to use those funds to continue further development on the game. Those that pay to participate typically help to debug the game, provide feedback and suggestions, and may have access to special materials in the game.

The WGT terminology is misleading.  This is already a beta version since it works, but needs user testing.  I have absolutely no problem with them releasing a beta version - I certainly want the "new" game to have the input of knowledgeable existing users before it is released fully.  We have seen what happens when changes are made to the game with only some limited level of testing - usually in-house - and the fixes only come after players start to use it (and debug it!).  I can assure you that this would be a huge mess if this game replaced the flash version without a significant amount of play/testing by current players.  Although I am an engineer by trade, I spent a lot of time programming and testing other peoples codes when they thought they were ready for prime time.  I got the nickname of "Designated Fool" for breaking a lot of codes when the developers thought they were "foolproof"!

We don't have to pay to use this beta version - we could flail away with free balls if we want (I don't!).  We have a lot of time before this version will be required and I hope that users like yourself and others with lots of experience help to make it better.

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Sun, Oct 13 2019 7:46 PM

YankeeJim:

DoctorLarry:

I think I may give it a go when many of the current problems are fixed.

I have tried it and like it, too. If you've never seen the mobile version, this is what it looks like.  "Releasing it in this condition" is ridiculous to say about something that has a year to evolve. Might even be a new challenge for those that live off of programs and spreadsheets.  :-)

LOL - I play the mobile version when I am traveling and certainly recognize it in what I have seen of this new version.  While I have not played this version, I have watched some streams and videos of others playing it.  

I am certain it should be much improved in a year!

• pmm711
    5,515 Posts
    Sun, Oct 13 2019 10:08 PM

DoctorLarry:

YankeeJim:

DoctorLarry:

I have tried it and like it, too. If you've never seen the mobile version, this is what it looks like.  "Releasing it in this condition" is ridiculous to say about something that has a year to evolve. Might even be a new challenge for those that live off of programs and spreadsheets.  :-)

LOL - I play the mobile version when I am traveling and certainly recognize it in what I have seen of this new version.  While I have not played this version, I have watched some streams and videos of others playing it.  

"Mobile Version"  EXACTLY

I'd love to see the numbers, but my guess is there are now a lot more mobile players than PC players.  After all, this is now the year 2019.  And, as tablets are starting to replace laptops in many ways, the mobile population is only going to continue to grow and grow and grow...while the PC population will continue to decline and decline and decline.  Look how easy it is to pick up your phone or tablet and knock out a round or two.  And, take a look in your app store for golf games...I only see one game worth downloading and the folks who read this forum are already playing it.  It's GREAT to be able to watch a football (or whatever) game on TV while sitting/lying in bed or on the couch and also be playing WGT on my mobile device.  The new PC version isn't going to be a whole lot different than what you're seeing today.  They have a year to get the multiplayer games, club selection, small map aimer, etc. figured out.  The game functionality will only change should they make changes to the mobile game itself.  This new PC version will never be taking on the essence of the old flash PC game.  Anyone truly waiting/expecting for that to happen is a "1 D 10 T".  Those of us who've been around long enough to know how changes to the game have taken place through the years "should" know what to expect from WGT by now. 

As for the "elite" players jumping ship en masse when flash is finally sunsetted...gee, I think we've all heard that one before too.  The Golf Club failed to keep you amused...Tiger Woods PGA Tour Golf failed too...so, what game are you going to truly leap over to en masse? 

Like it or not, we now live in a mobile society.  So maybe, just maybe, WGT actually knows what they're doing.  So adapt...or simply fade away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aQjE8qJ29c

• AgentBrown123
    907 Posts
    Sun, Oct 13 2019 10:15 PM

DoctorLarry:

DodgyPutter:

DoctorLarry:
    Well, this is a beta version to get it out and get user feedback

It's an early access version, I had no idea what that was and wiki tells me this.......

Early access, also known as early fundingalpha-accessalpha founding, or paid-alpha, is a funding model in the video game industry by which consumers can purchase and play a game in the various pre-release development cycles, such as pre-alpha, alpha, and/or beta, while the developer is able to use those funds to continue further development on the game. Those that pay to participate typically help to debug the game, provide feedback and suggestions, and may have access to special materials in the game.

The WGT terminology is misleading.  This is already a beta version since it works, but needs user testing.  I have absolutely no problem with them releasing a beta version - I certainly want the "new" game to have the input of knowledgeable existing users before it is released fully.  We have seen what happens when changes are made to the game with only some limited level of testing - usually in-house - and the fixes only come after players start to use it (and debug it!).  I can assure you that this would be a huge mess if this game replaced the flash version without a significant amount of play/testing by current players.  Although I am an engineer by trade, I spent a lot of time programming and testing other peoples codes when they thought they were ready for prime time.  I got the nickname of "Designated Fool" for breaking a lot of codes when the developers thought they were "foolproof"!

We don't have to pay to use this beta version - we could flail away with free balls if we want (I don't!).  We have a lot of time before this version will be required and I hope that users like yourself and others with lots of experience help to make it better.

I admire your optimism. You make so many assumptions on the positive side which is honestly pretty amazing. I wish I was you because it would be so much easier. I am a realist personally and go by what I have seen by past results and I base my excitement on these experiences. I look forward to wgt proving me wrong. But I know better. So far all they have shown by response is that this will be a pc mobile version.

Stay unrealistically positive, it'll all work out like it will

• carlosdev
    2,528 Posts
    Sun, Oct 13 2019 10:22 PM

pmm711:

DoctorLarry:

YankeeJim:

DoctorLarry:

"Mobile Version"  EXACTLY

I'd love to see the numbers, but my guess is there are now a lot more mobile players than PC players.  After all, this is now the year 2019.  And, as tablets are starting to replace laptops in many ways, the mobile population is only going to continue to grow and grow and grow...while the PC population will continue to decline and decline and decline.  Look how easy it is to pick up your phone or tablet and knock out a round or two.  And, take a look in your app store for golf games...I only see one game worth downloading and the folks who read this forum are already playing it.  It's GREAT to be able to watch a football (or whatever) game on TV while sitting/lying in bed or on the couch and also be playing WGT on my mobile device.  The new PC version isn't going to be a whole lot different than what you're seeing today.  They have a year to get the multiplayer games, club selection, small map aimer, etc. figured out.  The game functionality will only change should they make changes to the mobile game itself.  This new PC version will never be taking on the essence of the old flash PC game.  Anyone truly waiting/expecting for that to happen is a "1 D 10 T".  Those of us who've been around long enough to know how changes to the game have taken place through the years "should" know what to expect from WGT by now. 

As for the "elite" players jumping ship en masse when flash is finally sunsetted...gee, I think we've all heard that one before too.  The Golf Club failed to keep you amused...Tiger Woods PGA Tour Golf failed too...so, what game are you going to truly leap over to en masse? 

Like it or not, we now live in a mobile society.  So maybe, just maybe, WGT actually knows what they're doing.  So adapt...or simply fade away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aQjE8qJ29c

+1 :) 

- Carl 

RSS