Forums

Help › Forums

WGT Early Access for PC

Sun, Nov 5 2023 12:56 PM (1,507 replies)
  • Nicole161106
    281 Posts
    Tue, Oct 8 2019 1:35 AM

ScottHope:

Would somebody who encounters this error like to help me with a little investigative work?

I'm on Win7 so these directions apply to that OS.

If you click the start button, type into the search box at the bottom of the start menu...

compmgmt.msc

...then hit enter.

In the 'Computer Management' window's left pane, click 'Local Users and Groups'.

If you don't see a left pane or 'Local Users and Groups', click the 'Show/Hide Console Tree' icon on the toolbar.

Can you report what folders are there are in the local users and groups?

Hi Scott, probably irrelevant as i am on win 10 and you are win 7, but anyway, on win 10 home edition there is no user group in the tree, i googled and there is a way to add it but i don't mess around with these things.

• ScottHope
    10,092 Posts
    Tue, Oct 8 2019 1:37 AM

Nicole161106:
    Hi Scott, probably irrelevant as i am on win 10 and you are win 7, but anyway, on win 10 home edition there is no user group in the tree, i googled and there is a way to add it but i don't mess around with these things.
    Thanks Nicole, it doesn't look like that is the issue anyway.  ; )

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,502 Posts
    Tue, Oct 8 2019 1:44 AM

ScottHope:
    DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR FIREWALL!

+1,000,000

You'd be safer sleeping with all doors and windows at your place wide open.

• borntobesting
    9,623 Posts
    Tue, Oct 8 2019 1:54 AM

SimonTheBeetle:

ScottHope:

+1,000,000

You'd be safer sleeping with all doors and windows at your place wide open.

Oh just a thought. If you are using a router check it and see if it is running a firewall as well as your Windows firewall. I had some connection problems 2 or 3 years ago. I traced it to a second firewall running on my router. Could that cause troubles with the launcher installation?

• ScottHope
    10,092 Posts
    Tue, Oct 8 2019 2:31 AM

You shouldn't be advising people to mess with their firewalls Joe unless they know what they are doing.

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,502 Posts
    Tue, Oct 8 2019 2:41 AM

borntobesting:
    Oh just a thought. If you are using a router check it and see if it is running a firewall as well as your Windows firewall. I had some connection problems 2 or 3 years ago. I traced it to a second firewall running on my router. Could that cause troubles with the launcher installation?

Could be but can't tell for sure.

Another possibility you might consider is if your computer runs on Windows 10, the higher (later) version is, the more likely the operating system will block any "suspicious" program trying to be installed.

Sometimes I squabble with my W10 going like "I know what I'm doing! Just leave it to me. I'll ask when I need you."

• treebeard
    227 Posts
    Tue, Oct 8 2019 3:08 AM

SimonTheBeetle:

borntobesting:

Could be but can't tell for sure.

Another possibility you might consider is if your computer runs on Windows 10, the higher (later) version is, the more likely the operating system will block any "suspicious" program trying to be installed.

Sometimes I squabble with my W10 going like "I know what I'm doing! Just leave it to me." I'll ask when I need you."

I run win 10 home V1603 . I use windows defender + it's own firewall. I have found in the past that it is the case that, when you run a stand alone anti-virus, (which disables defender), many more problems with downloads occur.

If you keep everything you like/do/can't live without, closed, and just have wgt on,on it's own all is fine.

I have not had an independent anti-virus for 7 years now and never been caught by a nasty. Use your loaf and don't invite trouble.

Tree

• mrm6400
    1,790 Posts
    Tue, Oct 8 2019 4:57 AM

Another thing that should be added is a way to restart a round.

In new format of game you can click on the course icon and some options come up but you can only end the round and we would like to be able to restart the round.

I don't see anyway of playing match play with friends ?

All is see is the stupid rooms where you don't know who is there or which course is available.  We need a way to schedule a head to head play with friends and pick the course and send an invite like we did all these years.

Thanks,

Michael

• TopShelf2010
    10,880 Posts
    Tue, Oct 8 2019 5:08 AM

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Tue, Oct 8 2019 5:37 AM

ScottHope:

Sorry mantis, you can allow applications through your firewall, but turning it off altogether is very bad.

Thanks for the input regarding users and groups guys. As folks were getting an error where the launcher was reporting that users was not a valid user or group, I thought that folder might be missing. Ah well, back to square one.

You can add exceptions to your anti virus and firewall. I really would not mess with the firewall. You can't be on the internet without a firewall

RSS