Forums

Help › Forums

**2019 VUSAm LIVE!**

Fri, Oct 4 2019 1:30 PM (71 replies)
  • Stuman66
    244 Posts
    Mon, Sep 23 2019 7:00 AM

Great event! Congrats to birchi and well played by all.

These live events get a little better each time. I'm sure it will be a well oiled machine next time.

• WigerToods2010
    8,445 Posts
    Mon, Sep 23 2019 8:38 AM

Watched every shot on large TV screen via YT and had eyes like a dug's bollox by the time the event was over (__) (__) 

Felt I saw myself playing at times... think Malini's missed putt on #9 @ Oakmont and subsequent errant approach into the bunker on 11(?) pfft - bloke was very unlucky and yet still managed a smile throughout.

Simon's eagled approach was stand out for me with the birdie putt finish on the last to seal the "W" the icing on the cake.

Despite the obvious glitches it was a very enjoyable watch. Next time I'll remember to wear sunglasses to counteract Paul's shirt!

Congrats to Birchi on the victory and well done to the others on making it to Vegas.

• ebbwmikey
    433 Posts
    Mon, Sep 23 2019 8:48 AM

• mymanpayne
    6,136 Posts
    Mon, Sep 23 2019 10:30 AM

Well it was well played matches all around. I would suspect not being on your own computer is the most uncomfortable part. The 45 sec surely put some extra pressure as well, especially when you're facing a difficult shot, that can be played in different ways. Congrats to Simon for beating the odds and taking the title. 

I was less than impressed with the commentary. Next time I'll mute them and listen to some good music. Too much banal banter and little to explain to newcomers what is actually happening, along with some totally wrong comments. They kept stating that they always used full backspin, when we could clearly see times when they didn't. At least they didn't slow the matches down, so I'll give them that. Hopefully someone from WGT reads the comments and makes a few changes.

• amateur4sure
    2,195 Posts
    Mon, Sep 23 2019 12:21 PM

Big shout out to the 4 Players and Huge golf clap to Simon, Well done bud..!

Nothing negative to say here, We all know about the issues..

Overall well done.

• DampandDusty
    125 Posts
    Mon, Sep 23 2019 1:09 PM

mymanpayne:
    I was less than impressed with the commentary. Next time I'll mute them and listen to some good music. Too much banal banter and little to explain to newcomers what is actually happening, along with some totally wrong comments. They kept stating that they always used full backspin, when we could clearly see times when they didn't. At least they didn't slow the matches down, so I'll give them that. Hopefully someone from WGT reads the comments and makes a few changes.

Yes. Agreed. Some things could be improved, but the more live events are done, the more experience can be gained and improvements made in all areas.

Overall an enjoyable event - need to think of ways to bring it more mainstream. Get a wider viewership.

As Young46 has said - definitely keep the qualifying format. Open qualifying then a bracket stage, which generated a lot of interest and chat.

One suggestion is to film more 'fillers' so that that the gaps for set up in between matches can be used more productively or would that prove expensive?

• JessicaHill21
    448 Posts
    Mon, Sep 23 2019 2:24 PM

amateur4sure:

Big shout out to the 4 Players and Huge golf clap to Simon, Well done bud..!

Nothing negative to say here, We all know about the issues..

Overall well done.

Agree Chris, watched it back earlier on YouTube, the setup looked awesome, well done WGT and USGA...

Congrats to all 4 players, played great.

And I thought (despite some negative comments here) that the commentators did a great job, well done guys.

• justacowboy
    1,338 Posts
    Mon, Sep 23 2019 2:29 PM

TopShelf2010:

justacowboy:
    don't worry  I heard many many people fell asleep watching it

Thank you so much for caring enough to chime in ONCE again. Your post activity has earned you so much credibility here in the Forums. I am thankful that you found the time to share your thoughts.

Now that you have, I can go to sleep.

T

your very welcome

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Mon, Sep 23 2019 2:49 PM

DampandDusty:

mymanpayne:
    I was less than impressed with the commentary.

Yes. Agreed. Commentary awful.

I shared some concerns privately with a friend, because I didn't want to come across as bashing someone making an effort to participate, but I feel it may be unfair to say awful.  Generally speaking they did well, could it be improved that is quite likely.

Paul is passionate and a long standing member of WGT, whom as I understand it, likely paid his own way to be a part of the production, but I don't know this for certain.  That being said, I think we should give him credit for stepping up to the plate and putting forth the effort to participate...

Did anyone else, even local WGT members that are residents in Las Vegas offer to do so?   

In that regard, he has gone above and beyond what anyone else even remotely offered to do.  Can we give him some credit?   Is he a professional broadcaster with countless hours of experience presenting to a live audience.  Doubt it, but he is making an effort and shown improvement.  

While I too may have felt differently on a couple topics/concerns... it is not uncommon for there to be more than one opinion on topics in WGT... similarly I/we even find it better to avoid the forums because they can be negative at times.  Maybe sharing constructive or helpful tips on how to enhance or improve is better than coming across as criticizing one's effort.  I am sure even a seasoned pro or Johnny Miller would endure criticism by some, no one person will ever be perfect for every single person watching.  

Just a thought.  

• jimshaw39
    675 Posts
    Mon, Sep 23 2019 6:12 PM

jimshaw39:

justacowboy:

andwhy67:

Me too, fell asleep, go to the 1st page USGA YouTube, scroll down and the semi’s and final are there.

if you didn’t already know!

don't worry  I heard many many people fell asleep watching it

A real cowboy?  Oh, and what do people falling asleep sound like?

RSS