Forums

Help › Forums

**2019 VUSAm LIVE!**

Fri, Oct 4 2019 1:30 PM (71 replies)
  • HappyHoleHunter
    1,854 Posts
    Mon, Sep 23 2019 6:32 PM

Just watched a bit of this on YouTube. 

I got knocked out in the second round of the bracket Comp.

Tell me, What would have happened if I’d got through to the top 4?

I rock into WGT in Vegas with my iPad to play Matchplay?

Seriously WGT have no idea. 

HHH😏

• DampandDusty
    125 Posts
    Tue, Sep 24 2019 2:14 AM

el3n1:
    I shared some concerns privately with a friend, because I didn't want to come across as bashing someone making an effort to participate, but I feel it may be unfair to say awful.  Generally speaking they did well, could it be improved that is quite likely.

I reviewed my original comment and am in agreement with you. I was a little harsh. Have amended my post accordingly.

Overall I enjoyed the event - it's great to see a game we play being played as live. Hopefully these live events will go from strength to strength.

They should be more heavily publicised - they can help market the game as being the pinnacle. eSports is a massive thing, as we all know. It's a market to tap into.

• binkybaxter1
    1,556 Posts
    Tue, Sep 24 2019 3:23 AM

watched some live and some catch-up..

enjoyed it all :)

yes their were hiccups but that was only to be expected, and im sure they will become less+less as each live event occurs.

congratulations too all 4 finalists (+ the wgt commentator) :)

• andwhy67
    2,816 Posts
    Tue, Sep 24 2019 4:14 AM

jimshaw39:

jimshaw39:

justacowboy:

andwhy67:

Me too, fell asleep, go to the 1st page USGA YouTube, scroll down and the semi’s and final are there.

if you didn’t already know!

don't worry  I heard many many people fell asleep watching it

A real cowboy?  Oh, and what do people falling asleep sound like?

I would just like to mention, I fell asleep because in France where I reside it would have been 4 am my time, I watched the first semi, but couldn’t stay awake any longer. Awoke the following morning really early to see on the YouTube channel that Birchi had won, and as soon as I found the stream I watched it.

i enjoyed it, wish I could have stayed awake, didn’t say I fell asleep as an insult to the players/WGT etc.

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Tue, Sep 24 2019 11:07 AM

HappyHoleHunter:

They'd probably  have pointed out the rules.

Live Event.  The eventual winner of each 16-player bracket will be considered the bracket champion. The four bracket champions will then be seeded to play two semi-final match play games, with the winners continuing on to a championship 18-hole Match Play game. The semi-finals and championship will be played live and in-person at the Topgolf Las Vegas venue on September 21st, 2019, using the Web version of WGT on Sponsor-provided computers. If any player is unable or unwilling to attend the live event then their prize will be forfeited and the next highest player from that bracket will be invited instead.

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Tue, Sep 24 2019 12:01 PM

ebbwmikey:

I'd would rather watch paint dry.

Do us all a favour, go ahead and do just that. 

• pmm711
    5,505 Posts
    Tue, Sep 24 2019 2:46 PM

mymanpayne:
    I was less than impressed with the commentary. Next time I'll mute them and listen to some good music. Too much banal banter and little to explain to newcomers what is actually happening, along with some totally wrong comments. They kept stating that they always used full backspin, when we could clearly see times when they didn't. At least they didn't slow the matches down, so I'll give them that.

One thing you have to remember is this commentary isn't meant to be an instructional video.  The skilled players know what's going through the participants minds and the beginners & mid-level players need to play and practice more to get an equal understanding...that's just my thoughts.  Everyone should know how to compensate for wind and distance as there are plenty of videos and WGT threads explaining it all.  Plus, these 4 guys were almost taking a stroll through the park all day as they rarely used the 45 seconds allotted to them for a shot.  They play by rote.  If you tuned in for an instructional video you would have been better off watching some of Mags' or Young's YouTube videos vs. this live stream.  During live broadcasts you get instruction during "replays", not during the "live" call.  Think about it.  We don't get that luxury.  Look at my wall...at least one WGT member said he learned from my comments.  To me that's a good thing.

As for "always use full backspin"...they do when they map their clubs to their specific balls.  Then during play that's their starting point for each and every approach shot.  They then compensate based on the course, distance, wind, & pin location...whether it's uphill/downhill...sloping right or left...asking themselves if they need to hit long and come back to the pin...hitting full/partial BS, flat or even topspin to gain some yards after the shot hits the green...or whether or not they could hit the deadly accurate punch shot which takes away the wind as a factor.  I've been playing since 2011 so to me, as each shot is unique, that's common sense, but, as play was fairly brisk this year, it was even easier for the elite players to compensate for those shot nuances as they play so many rounds per day and know every course inside out.

Totally wrong comments...yeah they happen...as they happen on every single professional broadcast on network TV.  The major thing is "learning" from those mistakes to make the next event even better.  And then Ned Michaels, the USGA talent, was superb in his pre-event prep and steered the ship.  He was stellar!  I hope he returns for future events.

Bottom Line: 

• Everyone who participated in the event, the 4 finalists, the WGT, TopGolf & USGA employees/announcer, plus all their spouses, are folks you wish you've known for a lifetime...
    • WGT put on a superb show and everyone from the company who were present are the most professional, wonderful, & down to earth people who truly care about us players and the game.  The powers that be at WGT are more proactive about improving the game than you'd ever imagine.  They are top notch all the way, and, trust me when I say this, are definitely planning for 2020 when flash goes away.
    • Player preparedness determined the victor
      • Birchi - No practice on Friday night due to a late arrival flight into Las Vegas...and his travels started in Germany.  Arrived on Saturday and sat at both gaming stations and played and played and played...also did so on various browsers.  He took full advantage of the pre-game time to hone in his game on less than optimum equipment.
      • Malini4life - He did the same as Birchi after missing Friday night due to a late arriving flight in from Canada.  Came in with something to prove and really focused on his prep on Saturday.  Definitely put his mark on WGT Golf with his stellar play vs. Young46.  That errant putt on the 9th proved fatal as he carried some of those negative waves into the start of the B9 before he settled down again.  He did his part to ensure we all now know who he is.  GREAT JOB Ravi!!!!
      • Mags - He practiced Friday and Saturday but not as much as Birchi or Malini.  Once he figured out the meter issues on both machines with the browser he was going to be using he then took it easy.  This is his typical routine though...he doesn't fret...he adapts and accepts the limitations set in front of him.  Then in his semi-final match, not seizing the moment to go 3 up on the B9 gave Birchi the opening he desperately needed.  That was pretty much it.  Also, and I can't put a finger on it, his body language wasn't that of the typical Mags I know and love.  I'm thinking it may have been some travel exhaustion.  Hard to say, but I actually mentioned it to Ned and predicted his loss to Birchi because of it.
      • Young - He came in the #1 seed and had his choice of gaming station location for both matches, so, he spent most of his practice time at that one machine.  He warmed up on Friday and was in such a groove it was crazy.  He literally couldn't miss the ding and his shots dropped in exactly where he wanted them.  It was like he was in the comfort of his own home.  That ended up working against him as he didn't practice as much as the others did from that point on.  On Saturday he never could adjust to get back into the zone he had with the ding from the night before.  It sort of reminded me of a team that goes to the Super Bowl for the first time...he went on vacation vs. continuing to devote his time to reaching his ultimate goal.
    • and while it would have been nice if the crystal trophy had stayed in the USA this time...it didn't...Birchi simply put on a masterful shotmaking display...the dude played lights out and kicked azz...no whining...just shot shaping hole after hole after hole...
    • and so...THE BEST player, under equal conditions, earned the "W".  CONGRATS SIMON!
  • andwhy67
    2,816 Posts
    Tue, Sep 24 2019 4:23 PM

Also it was good to see how involved the USGA were in the whole thing, as with the introduction of ‘some new courses’ for the future, that could go a long way.

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,468 Posts
    Wed, Sep 25 2019 2:28 AM

Wow... thanks for the epilogue, Paul.

I watched everything on live (good to live on the West Coast) and enjoyed your commentary very much. You did a wonderful job and I could tell you were more relaxed than last year. Loved your wit, banters, voice and mustache. LOL Hope you will do it again next year.

Cheers. :-)

Simon

• HappyHoleHunter
    1,854 Posts
    Wed, Sep 25 2019 2:40 AM

DodgyPutter:

HappyHoleHunter:

They'd probably  have pointed out the rules.

Live Event.  The eventual winner of each 16-player bracket will be considered the bracket champion. The four bracket champions will then be seeded to play two semi-final match play games, with the winners continuing on to a championship 18-hole Match Play game. The semi-finals and championship will be played live and in-person at the Topgolf Las Vegas venue on September 21st, 2019, using the Web version of WGT on Sponsor-provided computers. If any player is unable or unwilling to attend the live event then their prize will be forfeited and the next highest player from that bracket will be invited instead.

I’m aware of the rules, and are good enough of a player to make it into the brackets in this event dominated by PC Players. I would not have been able to participate had of I made it to the top 4.

‘I just don’t understand why WGT continues to promote the outdated and frankly completely dull Flash version of the game, ignoring its greatest player base by far. The app version on the iPad has real feel and the graphics are outstanding. I shoot low 50’s off-dinging every iron. The putting is real on the app as opposed to ‘cartoon like’ on the flash. 

It’s really frustrating. But don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed this event overall

HHH👍

RSS