Forums

Help › Forums

perfect tie ?

rated by 0 users
Tue, Sep 10 2019 10:27 AM (9 replies)
  • Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Sun, Sep 8 2019 2:55 PM

Is there such a thing as a perfect tie between 2 players?  In one of our cc tourneys, we have two, with the exact same low score.   Our leaderboard keeps flip flopping the names of these two players, one minute it's player a, the next it's player b.  I know how wgt determines the winner, but what if their scorecards are exactly the same.  Could this be a glitch, or a perfect tie, and how will the winner of the tourney and credits, be decided ? 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Sep 8 2019 3:03 PM

Interesting dilemma. If you can get both players to post their scores hole by hole you may be able to determine if it actually is a tie. I always figured if that ever happened the time of the posting would resolve it.

• TopShelf2010
    10,879 Posts
    Sun, Sep 8 2019 3:27 PM

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Sun, Sep 8 2019 3:29 PM

But why does their names keep flip flopping as the leader on the leaderboard? 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Sep 8 2019 4:30 PM

Heh, the only thing we can do is guess. Mine is that every time there's a score change the computer looks at the leaderboard from bottom to top until it gets to the best score and puts it first. Then it sees the second, same score and makes it second. Post another score and now the second player gets spotted first and so on.

LOL, what do I know.  :-D

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Sun, Sep 8 2019 4:46 PM

that's probably not a bad guess, cuz now it's alternating between 3 names,  ty 

• DarthMo0
    43 Posts
    Tue, Sep 10 2019 1:09 AM

Is the tournament still going?

It probably only calculates tiebreakers once the tournament has ended, and only for payouts.  You end up with a lot of tie scores in a tournament, constantly recalculating the tiebreakers every time a score is entered would be a waste of resources when the leader in the clubhouse could end up in 10th place in the end.

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Tue, Sep 10 2019 6:58 AM

If after all count back systems there still remains a tie, per FAQ's, it will be whoever posted their score first.   But it's still weird if they are flip flopping back and forth lol.

How are ties handled?

In the event of a tie, the better scoring entrant between or among the tied entrants will be the entrant with the lowest combined score for the final nine (9) holes of the Game. If any ties remain, the better scoring entrant between or among the remaining tied entrants will be the entrant with the lowest combined score for the final six (6) holes for such Game. If any ties remain, the better scoring entrant between or among the remaining tied entrants will be the entrant with the lowest combined score for the final three (3) holes for such Game. If any ties remain, the better scoring entrant between or among the remaining tied entrants will be the entrant with the lowest score for the 18th hole (9th for nine hole games) in such Game, and any remaining ties will be determined by identifying the lowest scoring entrant for each individual game hole, in sequence from 17th (8th for nine hole games) through to 1st, as is necessary to determine a winner, and if any ties remain at that point, the earlier-submitted entry between or among the tied entries will be deemed the better scoring entry.

• borntobesting
    9,605 Posts
    Tue, Sep 10 2019 7:32 AM

TopShelf2010:

YankeeJim:
    I always figured if that ever happened the time of the posting would resolve it.

I will second this theory.

Don

There should be another type of tie breaker  after total score and hole by hole, Like maybe total distance from the pin. Rewarding the player whose approaches were more accurate.

• DoctorLarry
    4,275 Posts
    Tue, Sep 10 2019 10:27 AM

borntobesting:
    There should be another type of tie breaker  after total score and hole by hole, Like maybe total distance from the pin. Rewarding the player whose approaches were more accurate.

I guess there are all kinds of statistics one could use.  I might submit that total made putt lengths could be used, since that would possibly indicate the better putter.  And that measure would obviously produce the opposite result as DTP stats!

Honestly, when there is no physical trophy involved, and no real need to declare a champion, I don't think a tie-breaker is necessary at all.  WGT allows ties for any other position and distributes any winnings evenly at that position.

As always, YMMV and WGT does what WGT does!

RSS