Help › Forums

BLUE TRIANGLE (AT THE FLAGSTICK) QUERY

rated by 0 users
Sat, Sep 14 2019 5:18 AM (11 replies)
  • PAGES
  • slimjym
    141 Posts
    Sat, Sep 7 2019 4:39 PM

Can anyone tell me the length of a side of the blue triangle 🔽  found at the flagstick? I assume this is an isosceles triangle, so all sides will be the same length. Also would like to know height of flagstick. I understandi' basically they are a standard height, EXCEPT THE FLAGSTICKS THAT ARE WICKER BASKETS & shorter (course at BETHPAGE I believe?

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Sat, Sep 7 2019 5:09 PM

The blue box is 10 foot wide. That maker is in the middle, so i always use it as 5 foot.

• whooshdangit
    1,246 Posts
    Sat, Sep 7 2019 5:26 PM

Hi Slim

I'm not sure the size of the isausages triangle makes a difference, it's only a marker. As to stick height, they can vary wildly. Bethpage as you rightly point out, is one.

Cheers!

Rich

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Sep 7 2019 6:09 PM

slimjym:
    Also would like to know height of flagstick. I understandi' basically they are a standard height

I believe they are 7 feet tall.

• slimjym
    141 Posts
    Sat, Sep 7 2019 6:24 PM

Just so I understand you correctly, & we're on the same page, when you say blue box, are you referring to what I call the inverted blue triangle? I thought somewhere in the past I was told it was 2.6 feet across.Maybe my memory is failing me?? Ten feet seems a bit large, but maybe I"m wrong??? Also I'm still waiting for answer to my flagstick questions. Think most are 7 feet, except wicker baskets being 6 feet?

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Sun, Sep 8 2019 7:16 PM

slimjym:
    Also I'm still waiting for answer to my flagstick questions. Think most are 7 feet, except wicker baskets being 6 feet?

Well Jim answered this about the time you were posting and I too, believe the normal flag sticks are nominally 7 ft tall.

The big rectangular box is called the "aimer" and it is nominally 10 ft wide when you are on the tee and seems to be a bit larger from off the fairway.  The triangle is ~3 ft wide from the tee.

When putting on the green, the aimer is about 8 inches wide and the triangle is ~3 inches wide.  If you line the edge of the aimer up with the stick, the point is about 4 inches off hole centerline, and if you line up the up/down triangle within the aimer (elevation arrow) with the stick (or in the middle of the IN or FT), the point is about 3 inches off centerline.  Edge of aimer box lined up with edge of hole is a little more than 6 inches off center (since hole is nominally 4.25 inches in diameter).

• santa084
    114 Posts
    Sun, Sep 8 2019 8:14 PM

DoctorLarry:

slimjym:
    Also I'm still waiting for answer to my flagstick questions. Think most are 7 feet, except wicker baskets being 6 feet?

Well Jim answered this about the time you were posting and I too, believe the normal flag sticks are nominally 7 ft tall.

The big rectangular box is called the "aimer" and it is nominally 10 ft wide when you are on the tee and seems to be a bit larger from off the fairway.  The triangle is ~3 ft wide from the tee.

When putting on the green, the aimer is about 8 inches wide and the triangle is ~3 inches wide.  If you line the edge of the aimer up with the stick, the point is about 4 inches off hole centerline, and if you line up the up/down triangle within the aimer (elevation arrow) with the stick (or in the middle of the IN or FT), the point is about 3 inches off centerline.  Edge of aimer box lined up with edge of hole is a little more than 6 inches off center (since hole is nominally 4.25 inches in diameter).

How long were you holding on to that knowledge 

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Mon, Sep 9 2019 7:49 PM

santa084:

I guess I thought most people already knew that - I found much of it on the forums last year.  I suppose I never saw anyone ask this question before.

• andwhy67
    2,816 Posts
    Mon, Sep 9 2019 9:57 PM

DoctorLarry:

santa084:

I guess I thought most people already knew that - I found much of it on the forums last year.  I suppose I never saw anyone ask this question before.

Young46’s YouTube stream explains all this, size of hole, aim box etc.

• DufferJohn7
    3,563 Posts
    Tue, Sep 10 2019 9:32 AM

Doc,

Is this info good on both platforms?

DJ7

• PAGES
RSS