Forums

Help › Forums

Oakmont,13.0 greens, no hope?

Mon, Sep 23 2019 9:38 AM (27 replies)
  • budfan4861
    183 Posts
    Thu, Sep 5 2019 8:38 AM

Geez,                                                                                                                                      After reading your post, I want to share my opinion & my experience playing this game. I can't really offer no advise on posting scores in the 50's because in the 9 years I've played, the best score I have shot is a 60. Yeah, you read that right, a 60. And I'm O.K. with that. And the fact of the matter is I might never be one of those who is able to shoot in the 50's consistently. And I'm O.K. with that too. I just don't get too spun up about it. Each of us who plays this game has a reason for doing so. I play because I simply enjoy doing so. Because I enjoy the competition whether I win by 1 or lose by 10. This is a tough game to master , for lack of a better term, and I'll probably be the last one here to do it. But it's a lot of fun trying.      I've got really good equipment that I have mapped, good notes to rely on, & numbers that I trust. None of those things are the super secret decoder ring to "dominating" this game. They certainly help. But they are just one part of it for me. The bigger help for me has been practice round after practice round after practice round. Identifying what works and what doesn't. And along the way, my game has improved. I don't worry about the scores that the rest of WGT is shooting. I just worry about mine & what I can do get better at the game.      I don't know if any of this will help, I just wanted to share my experience with you.     Others have talked about upgrading your equipment and I agree. Better equipment will help. But being able to shoot 50's is going to take more that a bag of magic wands. It's going to take lots of practice & (for me at least) some inner peace with the results.                                                                                                               

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Thu, Sep 5 2019 12:08 PM

geezuzhd:

Any equipment without the very top specifications is a move sideways. Learning not to cheapen up when buying clubs has been an expensive lesson.

The replies pointing to my meeting a crossroad in the game are absolutely right. Some thinking to do about casual  or serious play.

One more thing, the putter? Without qualification, which one does the job for off-ding putting?

Before you upgrade clubs, you need to decide what parameters are most important to you.  You don't have to get the top numbers for every parameter.  For example, I need a slow meter since my hand-eye coordination is not what it used to be.  Yours may be totally different.  I highly recommend downloading the Pro Shop Equipment Tables by user ScottHope.  For each type of club, you can sort and filter by multiple parameters to find ones that meet your needs.  That sorting can include price!  Same for balls.  Another thing you alluded to that I agree with is to get a set of good/great clubs that you will not need to upgrade for a long time.  At your current level, you have the pick of all that is available, so work toward getting the clubs you will play from now on.  It will be a major adjustment when you do that and more spin will require a significant investment of practice to learn how that affects different shots!

I am a ding putter (well, I try to ding!) but I believe the main thing to look for in an off-ding putter is to get LOW Forgiveness, so the game does not try to compensate as much for an off-ding.  Maybe some off-ding putters will chime in with good suggestions.

GL with deciding what to do and how - it's not an easy game.

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Thu, Sep 5 2019 12:54 PM

Probably one of the best off ding putter WGT ever had was the Odyssey lvl 70, which of course they don't have any more....I will post the specs of that putter as soon/IF I find a friend who has it LOL, get one with similar specs!

• spideryboris
    5 Posts
    Thu, Sep 5 2019 1:00 PM

I've got nothing to add. I'm just inspired by everyone who's willing to help. Thanks for your thoughtful replies.

• budfan4861
    183 Posts
    Thu, Sep 5 2019 1:58 PM

I have the L70 Odessey putter Dan. Great putter. The Precision number is 4, the Forgiveness is 3.5, the Balance is 4.5, & the Meter Speed is 5. I will use it till the end. Just for the meter speed alone. Holds a real good line from distance.

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Thu, Sep 5 2019 2:19 PM

Thanks!!!!

I had the lvl 70 Versa too, loved it, only got rid of it because the lvl 96 Versa worked a little better for me....tried the Sabertooth twice and it just didn't work for me....everyone else I know loves it LOL.

Anyway, there you have the stats, I imagine something close would work "close" to the same....

• Borat74
    2,788 Posts
    Thu, Sep 5 2019 2:48 PM

Im an off ding putter and have been using the lvl 92 ghost spider which also is now not available,still have the lvl 19 spider aswell,which i go back to when this one goes wrong.

Also on most of these greens m8 being off ding you will need to move the aimer aswell,just practice and see the reads of the greens,Holes 1,9,13 &18 are the most important.

GL Bud

• Woodie312
    671 Posts
    Thu, Sep 5 2019 7:00 PM

geezuzhd:

Hi,

Just to be clear, buying equipment isn't a problem, spending money on premium clubs and finding that the performance is no improvement on what I already have is the problem. Any equipment without the very top specifications is a move sideways. Learning not to cheapen up when buying clubs has been an expensive lesson.

You are absolutely right about this from the stand point that greater distance is not always going to improve your performance. Take the fact that you have a great driver and 3wd these give you great distance off the tee, but the low mid-level irons you have do not allow you to take advantage of the new location you need to hit the approach shots from. if you do make the green they (and the ball) are not going to give you the spin ability to help you stop the ball, so you are at the mercy of a huge expanse of grade breaks (to paraphrase your original post) as to where the ball stops. Now if you don't make the green you are more than likely going to be out of position, and the wedges you have are not gonna greatly help you recover and place the ball in a position to save par.

Someone earlier alluded to the fact of carrying 3 wedges in lieu of 2 and a hybrid, I will say that this probably needs to be your next adjustment. Having 3 wedges with an even separation of distance on them to fill the gap below PW is a must to continually compete (not dominate, just compete) on the championship greens. The ones I carry are now (like a lot of great equip.) gone from the pro-shop however they have been replaced by newer clubs with the same or similar specs. I chose these and bought them even prior to buying my current irons for the simple reason that I knew that the low end yardage of all the top level irons was 120, so these gave me an even 20 yard split from PW to 64d wedge (120, 100, 80, 60).

What I am trying to say is that anything you change is going to almost always require you to adjust the rest of your lower equipment or you are going to be at an impasse. 

• phipster
    4,425 Posts
    Fri, Sep 6 2019 9:37 AM

I am a 61'ish average Legend and I have accepted that I will not go much lower as my putting is hopeless. That doesn't mean that I don't enjoy the game as I am good enough to play alternate shot games with other players and 'not let the side down' so I guess you need to ask yourself why you play WGT and that will determine what you do in the future.

One thing I would say is that you should get yourself 3 good wedges of the same brand and learn to flop and punch as well as chip and pitch. Over the last year I have concentrated my efforts on being able to consistently 'get up and down' from within 100 yards which has made a huge difference to my average. I started with the three level 50'ish Max wedges which were very consistent...

You will see from my equipment that I bought a bag full of Nikes when they were on special offer just before they disappeared and I have never felt the need to change them even though the 4,5 & 6 iron distances are notoriously inconsistent especially into the wind but I have got used to them over time...

• Th0maz700
    482 Posts
    Sun, Sep 8 2019 3:43 PM

Oakmont is the reason i stop playing now. I have the best clubs the game offers, all calculators, used HOURS of practice and it just goes wrong when i start playing... Two reason i allways miss the marker, maybe i hit it correct one out of 10 if i am lucky, several times i am off by by much.  I have NO idea of how to play, so bye for now....

RSS