Forums

Help › Forums

Oakmont,13.0 greens, no hope?

Mon, Sep 23 2019 9:38 AM (27 replies)
  • geezuzhd
    12 Posts
    Wed, Sep 4 2019 2:14 PM

Hi,

Playing the Oakmont tourney and can't seem to make any headway. The course,narrow fairways,champion green speeds,and 60,000 sq. ft. greens are beating me down.Getting bumped to legend after the wgt match play average debacle didn't help any, either.

Getting better clubs is not an option, nor balls. The clubs I have are fine and bxd balls are as much as I'm willing to bear. The question is wtf are you guys doing to manage shooting in the 50's without cheating?

There must be something I'm missing other than practice,equipment and devotion to the game. Unless my playing on mobile gives me an insurmountable handicap vs PC players I can't see me ever being able to dominate this game in any significant way which would, of course, make going on any further pretty much redundant. It's not enjoyable anymore and getting to be a bore. Any suggestions?

thanks,

geez

• LLLlloyd88
    176 Posts
    Wed, Sep 4 2019 5:26 PM

geezuzhd:

practice,equipment and devotion to the game. 

That pretty much sums it up. Mapping your clubs is a huge advantage and mastering your putting game.

I don't play on mobile but I would think that is also a disadvantage.

• JDGHOST
    6,764 Posts
    Wed, Sep 4 2019 5:27 PM

There is unfortunately  a ton of advice and suggestions that can be given lol...I don't think mobile is the issue I myself ONLY play PC but there are some great players on mobile as well... A few of the top mobile players around are friends of mine...

I would suggest joining a good Club with a help board and members that are active on the club forum that are willing to help with tips and advice....There are MANY outstanding clubs here on the forum that don't just push you to play clash and are not interested in helping you improve....

After looking thru your inventory you could use some upgrades believe me I know its tough to spend sometimes but you are now at legend and you will never worry about being moved back on the Tee's again so your playing same distances as I am at Champion....There are good deals that are good upgrades that will NOT break the bank ya have to know where to look.. but if that is not an option then that's ok too...

All that being said NOTHING helps more that practice practice practice !! Honestly it can be done I remember being Tour Master then early Legend thinking Exact same thing as you....I thought EVERY GOOD PLAYER was cheatin!!! How could they shoot those kinda scores??? But....with work its out there for anyone...Taking some notes is also a major help ...Some players go nuts with notes and spreadsheets for each course and every hole on it how the ball reacts on a particular green or if the dots on putts are off  Etc...Now just so you don't get to disgusted or overwhelmed I never went in for to much on the Journal or notes thing... Repetitive play and muscle memory for me... 

I will send you a Club invite to my club(which is not the reason I took time to answer you btw) But we do have a lot of helpful players and our first thread on forum has been there for 4 years it was comprised by MULTIPLE outstanding players over the years it really is a priceless page in my opinion....The "How to" help in it is almost endless and very detailed !! Butt if your not interested in '"The Founders Club" there are other great clubs I can name 4 or 5 off the top of my head ...

Either way I hope some of this helps you moving forward...Best of Luck !

JD

• BOZskills
    391 Posts
    Wed, Sep 4 2019 7:43 PM

G,i'm also a mobile player and it is difficult for us going from the putting power tip meter to no green light help in a tourament(putter pal helps) and that takes alot of getting used to! As far as cc go i don't belong to 1 but i believe nyc country club is a mobile only cc. Hope this helps,i don't think i'll ever dominate the game either,but still enjoy the game for what it is and the challenge it presents. Good luck!

• DoctorLarry
    4,275 Posts
    Wed, Sep 4 2019 9:28 PM

geezuzhd:

Getting better clubs is not an option, nor balls. The clubs I have are fine and bxd balls are as much as I'm willing to bear. The question is wtf are you guys doing to manage shooting in the 50's without cheating?

There must be something I'm missing other than practice,equipment and devotion to the game. Unless my playing on mobile gives me an insurmountable handicap vs PC players I can't see me ever being able to dominate this game in any significant way which would, of course, make going on any further pretty much redundant. It's not enjoyable anymore and getting to be a bore. Any suggestions?

The ones that shoot in the 50's did not start out that way.  They practiced and played their way into being that good.

With those clubs and balls, it will be about impossible to shoot scores like that.  Many would recommend dumping the 3H and getting a good set of 3 wedges.  Trust me, except for your D and 3W, there are much better clubs available - for a price.  I use a lot of free credits.

If your aim is to "dominate" the game, then you will probably be disappointed.  Not a knock, but not many can do that. 

I play more for fun but I have spent, and continue to spend, a good deal of time practicing different shots and I mapped all my clubs and the ball I play to know exactly what they do in an ideal situation for several types of shots.  Does not mean I can make all those shots - far from it.

I don't think mobile/PC has much to do with it.  I played both for a while and I play mobile when traveling and actually usually do some things better on mobile - but I like a big monitor and a mouse so I play nearly all PC now.

• andwhy67
    2,816 Posts
    Wed, Sep 4 2019 10:04 PM

geezuzhd:

Hi,

Playing the Oakmont tourney and can't seem to make any headway. The course,narrow fairways,champion green speeds,and 60,000 sq. ft. greens are beating me down.Getting bumped to legend after the wgt match play average debacle didn't help any, either.

thanks,

geez

I’m just a 63 average tour legend, who gave up ages ago trying or wanting to dominate the game. 

Here’s an example, I’ve just played 3 rounds of the Oakmont Championships and had three 63’s. Poor putting is to blame but I will break 60.

The recent VUSO at Pebble Beach, I didn’t qualify but had 2 back to back 56’s, In my time playing this, I’ve won some tourneys and some RG’s and had a few rounds under 60, doesn’t make me a cheat, it makes me realise that with the time and patience I could improve dramatically. And scoring in the 50’s a regular occurrence.

Now I’m predominantly a P.C player and always have been, but recently I’ve had to play on the mobile platform and have done for the last month or so, there is a huge difference between the two, I personally don’t think the breaks on putts are true on mobile for one.

Maybe you should try the P.C version, or as they say “Take the Pepsi Challenge”

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Wed, Sep 4 2019 11:53 PM

you have reached the point where you either learn the game for real, play for the fun of it, or quit! Your choice!

Your clubs are far from the one's you want, spend about 23,000 credits and ask this question and a lot of people will help you....

JFYI, there are guys/gals who are capable of shooting in the 50's with cheaper clubs/balls now! And they don't cheat.....

BUT why? It isn't necessary.....

• SlickHunter
    1,034 Posts
    Thu, Sep 5 2019 2:37 AM

This game is not easy by any means, no matter how much you practice. Taking notes with all mapping, calculations, spreadsheets etc, I’ve done all that. After a while those notes will be stored in your memory back, and no need to look at them, but those are mostly reference, but very helpful. After all that, I’m constantly questioning my skill in this game, do I have it or not. After few years of playing, and still have doubts, my skill is not where it needs to be. What I have is the willingness to keep playing the game, and accepted all of the frustrations that come with it, trying to learn from them. I’ve gotten all the best clubs and balls, this game has to offer, made a difference, but not what I was hoping for. You can find your strength in this game, but it will take tremendous dedication, or just play, and enjoy the game. I know it’s easy to say, just enjoy the game, it’s merely an excuse, because we all want to win, it’s our pride. Once we get better, hopefully, then the “game” is not just a game, it becomes a competition.

That my friend, is what your seeking, Competition Level.

• HackWilson1930
    1,437 Posts
    Thu, Sep 5 2019 4:57 AM

You have reached a point in your WGT life where you have to make a hard decision. That decision involves why you play the game.If you decide that your priority is to consistently score lower then you need to make a plan that takes you in that direction.

With any plan you need to review what you are willing and able to do to make it a success.You are in serious need of equipment upgrades. You have indicated that you do not feel that it is in your best interests to dig into your wallet to makes these upgrades.

Therefore step number one of your plan must be how to secure "free" credits. This requires your time which is a cost. But if you treat some of the time you use for playing as your investment in searching out "free" credits you might create a savings account that you can use for those equipment expenditures you need to make.

Another stop on your search for better equipment should be the Gift of Golf Foundation run by CEverett12. Take your case there and perhaps you will get some help.

Playing WGT for fun is rewarding. Playing for something more requires dedication and is costly in the amount of time that must be spent. Whether the rewards are worth the cost is always in the eye of the beholder.

• geezuzhd
    12 Posts
    Thu, Sep 5 2019 8:13 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. I will map my clubs. Thanks for the invite JD.

Just to be clear, buying equipment isn't a problem, spending money on premium clubs and finding that the performance is no improvement on what I already have is the problem. Any equipment without the very top specifications is a move sideways. Learning not to cheapen up when buying clubs has been an expensive lesson.

The replies pointing to my meeting a crossroad in the game are absolutely right. Some thinking to do about casual  or serious play.

One more thing, the putter? Without qualification, which one does the job for off-ding putting?

thanks again,

g

RSS