Forums

Help › Forums

Oakmont #4

Tue, Sep 10 2019 8:46 PM (22 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Sep 7 2019 6:20 AM

kavvz:
    If it was a 10-12 cross wind I'm not getting there, but if you hit it to the other fairway with a 10-12 cross not only is the fairway reachable, but so is the green.

Something going unnoticed here is the difference in the equipment from when Oakmont first came out and now. Titleist balls and 291 yard bazookas off the tee weren't around. I find that any non-head wind will let you find an eagle putt from the main fairway with a solid 3W and a good ball. 

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Sat, Sep 7 2019 8:05 AM

YankeeJim:

kavvz:
    If it was a 10-12 cross wind I'm not getting there, but if you hit it to the other fairway with a 10-12 cross not only is the fairway reachable, but so is the green.

Something going unnoticed here is the difference in the equipment from when Oakmont first came out and now. Titleist balls and 291 yard bazookas off the tee weren't around. I find that any non-head wind will let you find an eagle putt from the main fairway with a solid 3W and a good ball. 

Perhaps Jim.

Noteworthy however is that the latest replay was with a headwind -- still got to fairway and green.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Sep 7 2019 8:41 AM

kavvz:
    Noteworthy however is that the latest replay was with a headwind -- still got to fairway and green.

My point exactly, that's what the bazooka does. One of the first praises of it when it came out was how it handled winds and your replay reinforces that. Try that with a lesser driver.  ;-)

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Sat, Sep 7 2019 8:52 AM

YankeeJim:

kavvz:

My point exactly, that's what the bazooka does. One of the first praises of it when it came out was how it handled winds and your replay reinforces that. Try that with a lesser driver.  ;-)

I think I'll stick with the bazooka.  Was thinking maybe you should give it a whirl!  :)

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Sep 7 2019 11:27 AM

kavvz:
    Was thinking maybe you should give it a whirl!  :)

I did, during the last free rental period, just as I have with every new driver. Took a good hard look at it over several courses and there's no question it's long. But that's all it is and if that's what you're after then that driver rules.

I stay with what is now obsolete-the 8 degree R1-because of how it works in winds and with top spin. The lower flight gets less wind influence and getting it on the ground with top spin gets some serious rolling going, particularly on the links courses. Find the right landing and you rocket forward.

It's all about what makes it fun for you.  ;-)

• fobby1980
    310 Posts
    Sat, Sep 7 2019 2:23 PM

kavvz:

Beware of hitting it to the right side (different hole) fairway on this hole's tee shot.  If executed properly it makes it reachable, but if you land too far right on that fairway it's OB.  

Ya gotta be left of centre there -- 1st time hitting one OB and it had plenty of distance to reach the fairway.  

You don't wanna be too far left of centre though as landing in the rough makes it unreachable.

Tough tee shot, but if executed you can be rewarded.  

Just tried it with a NE 7-9 wind. Left me 273 to the pin. Ensuing fbs 3W (lv84 M5 @242) went for 278 yards, and I didn’t even ding the shot. What? Most likely there’s a downslope right at or just after that fairway bottleneck. How else to explain a roll of 44 yards?

So it does look like this method works in the right condition. Nice tip OP; will certainly use it again in the future. 

• JDGHOST
    6,767 Posts
    Sun, Sep 8 2019 9:27 AM

goldeena:

post removed, player mutually kicked off my friends list and permanently blanket blocked off the forums - snotty top brass don't like their egos shredding in tatters with some of the B.S they spout because let's face it you're all just stupid compared to me (oh and WD from an RG also counts as kicking Tour Chumpion a$)

%^*!

guess the 4 letter word, eat it.

and my BFRD.

That goes for the rest of the 'snottists' - no respect from deena.

No respect for anyone here truth be told - you all plebs without even the slightest notion of what is what (other than the things I have explained on these pages).

Amoebas, tapeworms, centipedes....simpletons.

WHAT IN THE HECK???    DID I MISS SOMETHIN HERE??  WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH THE PAR 5 ON OAK???  

LOL

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Sun, Sep 8 2019 12:50 PM

JDGHOST:

WHAT IN THE HECK???    DID I MISS SOMETHIN HERE??  WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH THE PAR 5 ON OAK???  

LOL

Miss anything?  Nah, unfortunately this is not untypical.  (enough double negatives??)

At least I know how to spell plebe..............

• andwhy67
    2,816 Posts
    Sun, Sep 8 2019 1:54 PM

YankeeJim:

kavvz:

When I first started playing in 2012 until 15, Oakmont was a monster of a course to me and a lot of people. As mentioned then I wasn’t using a 291 driver, think I had an R11s at the time, which I still have.

I still have the Nike irons, so I will have a go with the now lesser clubs and balls and see how things go.

Way back I don’t remember reaching the par 5’s in two as many times as I have since its return, with the now longer driver, slower meter irons etc.

RSS