Forums

Help › Forums

Oakmont #4

Tue, Sep 10 2019 8:46 PM (22 replies)
  • kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Wed, Sep 4 2019 6:22 AM

Beware of hitting it to the right side (different hole) fairway on this hole's tee shot.  If executed properly it makes it reachable, but if you land too far right on that fairway it's OB.  

Ya gotta be left of centre there -- 1st time hitting one OB and it had plenty of distance to reach the fairway.  

You don't wanna be too far left of centre though as landing in the rough makes it unreachable.

Tough tee shot, but if executed you can be rewarded.  

• borntobesting
    9,601 Posts
    Thu, Sep 5 2019 4:19 AM

kavvz:

Beware of hitting it to the right side (different hole) fairway on this hole's tee shot.  If executed properly it makes it reachable, but if you land too far right on that fairway it's OB.  

Ya gotta be left of centre there -- 1st time hitting one OB and it had plenty of distance to reach the fairway.  

You don't wanna be too far left of centre though as landing in the rough makes it unreachable.

Tough tee shot, but if executed you can be rewarded.  

With a good driver and 3 wood it is reachable on the regular fairway as long as you don't have a headwind. So there is no need to take the chance to go OB hitting that small section of fairway.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Sep 5 2019 5:27 AM

borntobesting:
    With a good driver and 3 wood it is reachable on the regular fairway as long as you don't have a headwind. So there is no need to take the chance to go OB hitting that small section of fairway.

Not to mention the fact you bring that bank of traps into play-you have to carry them as well as missing the tree.

• 1irony
    415 Posts
    Thu, Sep 5 2019 3:16 PM

IMO it does leave a much better angle in to the pin, especially the left pin, so you won't be left with a tough shot to get close if you have a bad number in, which with a tailwind there would be anything not full power with FBS. Plus, maybe I'm doing something wrong but I just spent the last 10 minutes attempting to hit the tree and I would say it is safe to come to the conclusion that the tree is not programmed in and the traps are easy to carry unless you are hitting a full top punch driver with starter balls. :^)

Cheers,

Darren

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Thu, Sep 5 2019 4:39 PM

Agreed Darren.

Just played it with a 10-12 tailwind and had 270 in from the proper fairway.

If I had gone down the other fairway I'd have been able to hit 3i in -- much more control and predictable results there.

If it was a 10-12 cross wind I'm not getting there, but if you hit it to the other fairway with a 10-12 cross not only is the fairway reachable, but so is the green.

The 'other' fairway is always the play there IMO -- unless you have a 30 mph etc tailwind.

• andwhy67
    2,816 Posts
    Fri, Sep 6 2019 7:34 AM

Yes, just lost a ball on the right side of the right fairway, there’s a very fine line between “time to reload” or “thats a huge drive"

• DoctorLarry
    4,274 Posts
    Fri, Sep 6 2019 11:59 AM

kavvz:

Agreed Darren.

If I had gone down the other fairway I'd have been able to hit 3i in -- much more control and predictable results there.

If it was a 10-12 cross wind I'm not getting there, but if you hit it to the other fairway with a 10-12 cross not only is the fairway reachable, but so is the green.

The 'other' fairway is always the play there IMO -- unless you have a 30 mph etc tailwind.

Like this?

Check camera 3 or 4.

;-)

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Fri, Sep 6 2019 12:45 PM

I personally have never missed the fairway shooting for the regular fairwayin a competition...

On approach shots I have ended up in the trap left of the hole, had a easy short wedge shot in, and been on the green, but it is "always" a birdie/eagle hole....and I am on the green more times than not on it.

hitting to the other side, I have been sitting on the tee hitting my 3rd shot. and in the rough....on the other hand I have had a lot of eagle putts, at least closer than from the normal fairway....

However I choose to take "all" the danger out of play, I can play out of the sand, hit wedges close, and make a 35-40ft putts anyway if needed, why take the risks!

BUT I DO AGREE that it is shorter LOL....

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Fri, Sep 6 2019 9:20 PM

DoctorLarry:

kavvz:

Agreed Darren.

Like this?

Check camera 3 or 4.

;-)

Indeed!  :) 

Or like so

This was with an 8 headwind off tee and off of fairway from 270

0% chance that happens hitting down the proper fairway.

Too bad I baffed up the rest of the front, but that's a story for another day.  Lol :)

RSS