Forums

Help › Forums

Tournament Green Speeds

rated by 0 users
Wed, Jul 24 2019 8:41 PM (5 replies)
  • Tow2nd2none
    1 Posts
    Mon, Jul 22 2019 12:09 PM

Does everyone in a tournament play on the same green speeds? I'm currently an amateur, have the starter clubs and ball but on the 12.0 speed greens it's nearly impossible to get shots to hold, which makes scoring near impossible. For reference I was shooting -4 to +2 on 18 but now have a hard time breaking 85. Suggestions? I was hoping to win some tournaments to get credits to buy clubs but that path is looking increasingly unlikely.

• TopShelf2010
    10,879 Posts
    Mon, Jul 22 2019 4:31 PM

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Mon, Jul 22 2019 9:44 PM

Tow2nd2none:
    Does everyone in a tournament play on the same green speeds?
    Yes they do.

It's good to mind some differences in tournaments:

- regular WGT tournaments are separated by tier, and each tier plays it's own tees and green speed. For Amateurs, it is front tees and Standard speed, IIRC.

Weekly or monthly tournaments are among these.

- some special tournaments, as the VUSO (virtual US Open) are played tierless, i.e. all players in the same competition. These usually are set up for the higher tiers, that is back tees and high green speeds.

- CC tournaments are tierless, unless limited in participating tiers. The conditions are arbitrary, as set up by the creator. This includes ONE green speed, while the tee boxes may be set up "standard", which means varying between tiers.

In general, it's advisable to check the green speed on the first green.

Tow2nd2none:
    I'm currently an amateur, have the starter clubs and ball but on the 12.0 speed greens it's nearly impossible to get shots to hold, which makes scoring near impossible.
    You'd have to adapt your strategy, and consider to make some wedges your prime purchasing goal - L38 for the ATVs is near!

Mind you that putting is very unified - any ball will behave the same, and putters differ only in shot quality, not in shot power.

Tow2nd2none:
    I was hoping to win some tournaments to get credits to buy clubs but that path is looking increasingly unlikely.
    True - you need good equipment and good skills to contend!

• Miantiao
    401 Posts
    Tue, Jul 23 2019 7:26 PM

There is no one set formula that works for all green speeds. Play some bracket tournaments and you'll soon realise that.

Btw, Tournament greens play differently to Champ greens.

goldeena:
    Add or Subtract an extra foot for every 6 inches of elevation/ decline on Fast/ Standard greens.

goldeena:
    Add or Subtract an extra foot for every 3 inches of elevation/ decline on Champ/ Tourny greens

That right there is rubbish, twice over.

Before you decide to kick off on one of your diatribes, my putting stats will suffice for a response.

I'm guessing you'll come at me with some garbage about flooring me, belting me etc etc, just like last time you lost the plot during one of our 'debates'.

So, I may be in Bangkok soon, tee it up for friendly stoush in a ring of your choice my pretty.

Edit:

Wow that escalated quickly. Wouldn't expect anything less from you passion flower.

I'm usually busy with bracket, but do play the odd readygo.

Am also busy with ink from Monday, but I'll try my best to get a few games in. 

Edit 2:

Due to unforeseen time constraints concerning the previously mentioned ongoing ink artwork being performed by a vivacious and gorgeous Vietnamese lady to fifty percent of my body, which is larger than most, I am playing three readygos today Deena. You can check my score history to verify.

You'll get a sleeve regardless, but only if you play     ;-)

Edit 3:

Ok Deena here are my results from our first three rounds:

Merion 28, Royal St Georges 26, Pinehurst 28.

You won't be able to verify until the field is filled.

Edit 4:

Request accepted.

I can understand your frustration with China given the lack of water flowing down the Mekong from that country, among other disagreeable behaviours. If its any consolation to you Thai people aren't the only people in Asia to have a gripe with the 'Red Rooster'.

Nevertheless, I ask you to refrain from conflating Lords and Serfs, it is disrespectful to those Serfs who have died, disappeared, or been incarcerated for questioning the authority of the Lords.

Having yourself lived in China I would have thought you'd be aware of this.

Edit 5:

I know you're English, but living in Thailand you'd be well aware of local serfs' perceptions of China. 

Yes the Opium Wars, still well used by the propaganda machine in Beijing to foster hatred and distrust toward those that occupied China during their 'Hundred Years of Humiliation', including the Japanese. Intention is to distract attention away from domestic issues and inculcate an unhealthy brand of patriotism.

Strangely, Russia is excluded from this elite club, even though they now possess a huge swath of territory once part of the Qing Dynasty.

Yes, the Thais generally have exceptional manners.

Mike

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Wed, Jul 24 2019 8:41 PM

Deena don't make it to complicated. He's a Pro that just started this month.

All kinds of figures will just mess him up. He need to learn how to hit the ball right now to get an idea of what he doing.

A starter putter has three tick of the backswing on the 15 increment. Each tick is 5 Feet, good place to start. This is the best putter scale I can up with for a starter putter

RSS