Forums

Help › Forums

Clash!

Sat, Jul 20 2019 8:56 PM (39 replies)
  • Tigerpaw509
    1,285 Posts
    Mon, Jul 15 2019 8:09 AM

Now If I could only create a new Country Club(The process bombs out when trying to pay the 50 credits) but only emails I get back from Wgt is We don't understand the problem and after providing screen shots I am asked have I ever been on a club before and how many.Maybe its the corrupt flag causing it.

• mikechaz
    39 Posts
    Mon, Jul 15 2019 9:43 AM

put a WOMEN VOICE on the nice shots  ... 

• Wutpa
    4,803 Posts
    Mon, Jul 15 2019 12:57 PM

alanti:
    For the record, I have no objection to the clashes....in fact I welcome them, as they are a cash cow for the company, and that in turn, assists and aids the development the game - that is a good thing.

I agree with this entirely, but disagree entirely with your earlier comment that they are a scam. That word gets thrown around a lot on here and I've never yet seen it justifiably employed. The Clashes are a poor competition with unfair pairings, but that's not the same thing as a scam.

• happymt
    869 Posts
    Mon, Jul 15 2019 6:53 PM

• jacktrade51
    10,831 Posts
    Mon, Jul 15 2019 7:37 PM

As part of a club which finished 33rd, I still think high winds on high wind courses is not appropriate ..for clubs that cater to all levels.

Tom.

• AlaskanDame
    18,870 Posts
    Mon, Jul 15 2019 8:24 PM

jacktrade51:

As part of a club which finished 33rd, I still think high winds on high wind courses is not appropriate ..for clubs that cater to all levels.

Tom.

+1

And my club finished under 50th also (49th).  But our participation was down and some others had to take up the slack.  I’d rather see participation up, the team spirit and all being the important bit for my club.

• alanti
    10,563 Posts
    Tue, Jul 16 2019 1:14 AM

Wutpa:
    I agree with this entirely, but disagree entirely with your earlier comment that they are a scam. That word gets thrown around a lot on here and I've never yet seen it justifiably employed. The Clashes are a poor competition with unfair pairings, but that's not the same thing as a scam.

The definition of a scam is a dishonest scheme. I believe the buying of passes fits into this category (clash or no clash) as EVERY purchase should be a two-step process as a minimum. How many of us have clicked "buy" just to play the game ASAP.

At best it is an unscrupulous marketing technique ....and in my eyes, it is no better than my Nigerian uncle passing away emails. In other words....a scam.

The fact clashes require the use of a pass.....plus the vast majority using premium balls, forces players to buy passes, or they cannot compete (once the free passes are used).

Okay, like the email scams, it is a choice....but then you look at the prizes offered (which are pretty much valueless).....equates to the chances of those email scams actually depositing the $20 million in your account....

I do agree on not being a level playing field - this is far from one....but is that not like having a 20 handicapper playing a PGA pro for money?

Caveat Emptor.....but WGT will not say.....your CC of 5 players has no chance against this 250 member club....but buy your passes to have a chance.....Ka Ching....

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Tue, Jul 16 2019 8:02 AM

Wutpa:
    The Clashes are a poor competition with unfair pairings
    Agree to the former but not to the latter.

The Event is not decided in pairings but in points amassed. You may win 11 Clashes but be far off the top of the leaderboard, winning one of the poorer of all the poor prices.

* alosso thinks that Alan's claim of "scam" goes too far - a few passes or sleeves of balls bought wrongly won't make the company rich.

But, the whole system "to the benefit of the CC" expoits players' empathy towards their tribes with little reward for massive contributions, one of the better marketing schemes maximising the profit/expense ratio. This is close to the best: selling of indulgences in the Middle Ages! The hunt for CC benefits and Clash points knows only one winner: The company!

• AlaskanDame
    18,870 Posts
    Tue, Jul 16 2019 8:21 AM
    I know from my own club's experience, that a club with at least 60 members participating, only with free passes and 30 of them playing only one Clash round, can finish in the 4th - 50th place (same prizes for all of those placements). Sure, there is some ball usage, but there would be mostly that same usage by these members in non-Clash games on non-Clash days. Beats me why the top 20 put so much into the Clash, with the top 3 getting a few balls to split among a group of 150 - 250 club members. But they have their reasons, and that's okay. With those reasons, they don't consider the Clash to be a scam, I'll wager.
  • jacktrade51
    10,831 Posts
    Sat, Jul 20 2019 8:56 PM

+1 to AKD's comments above.

In Black Diamond GC, clash participation is totally voluntary.  It is not required to be a member in good standing in BD.  We certainly never insist that anyone buy passes, nor do we compete for the top 3 places.  (Ironically, with scoring rules WGT introduced early this year, the motivation to buy superpasses has dropped significantly.)  We have also educated our member through BD forum on how to play rounds and when to use or not use superpasses.

Some of us (including me) like it and play a lot.  Out of 230 members, we tend to get 70-80 who put up at least 1 round, probably 2/3 of them putting up multiple rounds.  1 round in the 2 days is good by me.  They get the same extra free cc xp passes those of us who play a lot of rounds get.

We normally finish in top 50, occasionally we fall short.  Players get to play under conditions they wouldn't normally run across and there is a sense of team contribution.

Anyone who thinks it's a scam shouldn't play.  Nobody is making one play.

I just wish we wouldn't have the xp points for finishing the round cut down by 100 points/round.  

Tom.

RSS