Help › Forums

How to use the cut-line

rated by 0 users
Fri, Jun 14 2019 4:47 PM (16 replies)
  • PAGES
  • WolfApel
    3,204 Posts
    Tue, Jun 11 2019 2:00 PM

When creating a multi-round tournament, there is a cut-line option for every round.

This makes no sense.

If you put a cut-line on the first round, then no one who enters the tournament can play the first round, or any other for that matter, as they haven't  played yet in order to make the cut. If the cut-line means that you need to make it to get past that round, then there shouldn't be one available for the last round, as no one needs to get past the final round.

Anyone have any clarity on the subject?

SHF

Wolf

• DoctorLarry
    4,275 Posts
    Wed, Jun 12 2019 12:32 AM

WolfApel:

When creating a multi-round tournament, there is a cut-line option for every round.

This makes no sense.

If you put a cut-line on the first round, then no one who enters the tournament can play the first round, or any other for that matter, as they haven't  played yet in order to make the cut. If the cut-line means that you need to make it to get past that round, then there shouldn't be one available for the last round, as no one needs to get past the final round.

Anyone have any clarity on the subject?

SHF

Wolf

The cut line only applies after that round is played.  If you put it at par for the first round, everyone who shoots par or better will be eligible for the next round, and so forth.

I don't know, but maybe a cutline on the final round knocks players out of the money if they don't make it?

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Wed, Jun 12 2019 3:44 AM

DoctorLarry:
    The cut line only applies after that round is played.  If you put it at par for the first round, everyone who shoots par or better will be eligible for the next round, and so forth.
    True.

DoctorLarry:
    I don't know, but maybe a cutline on the final round knocks players out of the money if they don't make it?
    Not necessary. Only players playing all rounds - in other words, not WDing - get into the money.

Here lies a danger of cuts: If nobody reaches or finishes the last round, any credits at stake are collected by WGT. There was such a case a few years ago.

Therefore, don't force too harsh cut rules - they might kill the tournament!

OTOH, I don't see any use in cuts here. There is no crunching of participants necessary, and those who are bad from the start will stay low in the leaderboard, unless they quit by themselves.

BTW: One extraordinary example of quitting NOT happened in the Club Championship of a real German golf club about 10 years ago:

Preliminary note: Those Club Championships have multiple (2 or 3) rounds, and the competition is genuine stroke play, not Stableford. So players will be DQed when a score on one hole is missing. They won't be able to play the further rounds.

True story:

On a hole with a demanding pond in front of the tee, a participant, in the first round, carded a 63 => for one hole!! (1) He must have putted along the bridge across the pond after drowning a few balls, eager to stay in the game for the second day! (2)

BTW: He then added a 10 and 4x11 to his scorecard...

BTW2: He played an 8 on that hole on the second day.

(1) I've seen the official scorecard via the Golf Union's website. Checked and confirmed today. The distance from the tee is 130 m to the opposite bank,
    150 m to the FW.

(2) This is my interpretation.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jun 12 2019 5:29 AM

WolfApel:

This makes no sense.

It's an option you set for each round but you don't have to use it every round. By way of an example, I have a 4 round tournament up where only the first round has a cut line. Players play the round and if they make the cut, they're into the other 3 rounds, none of which have a cut line.

WolfApel:
    If the cut-line means that you need to make it to get past that round, then there shouldn't be one available for the last round,

Then don't put one in when you set the tournament up.

• DoctorLarry
    4,275 Posts
    Wed, Jun 12 2019 11:10 AM

YankeeJim:
    It's an option you set for each round but you don't have to use it every round.

Exactly.

Cutlines can be very troublesome at any round.  Had a CC tournament a while back (not my current CC) where the 1st round cutline was set at top 20% and the tournament was for higher tiered players.  There were not many in those tiers anyway, and not all signed up.  For a while only one player was in the top 20% and only after a lot of goading did more players get through.  It still pretty much wiped out the tournament.

As YJ noted - one needs to be very judicious in assigning a cutline - particularly since we are just playing a game.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jun 12 2019 12:28 PM

I did something a little different with that cut line I mentioned above. The tournament had the first round of 9 holes as an unlimited play round with low winds and slow greens, back tees. To advance you had to be within 2 strokes of the leader.

I don't like unlimited play rounds so the next 3 weren't but my thinking was  an unlimited round under somewhat easy conditions would give more players a chance to continue. As it turned out, 26 was the top score so 28 and below made it in and only 4 players missed the cut.  :-)

• WolfApel
    3,204 Posts
    Wed, Jun 12 2019 1:07 PM

Apparently no one knows why there is a cut line in each round.

Saying not to use it if it doesn't make any sense doesn't explain why it's there. I'm thinking it's a programming glitch.

Having a cut line within a round means you either can't enter the round without making the cut, or you can't get past the round without making the cut. It's one or the other. I'm still hoping that someone knows.

If not, maybe I'll have to do some experimentation with tournaments in order to see who gets cut and when. I hate to do that to the membership though if they don't read the forum and so don't know what's happening.

Still Having Fun,

Wolf

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jun 12 2019 3:12 PM

WolfApel:
    Having a cut line within a round means you either can't enter the round without making the cut, or you can't get past the round without making the cut.

Do you understand how cut lines work? I'm thinking you don't just based on the first half of your statement. 

A cut line is something YOU set up at the start of the round. It's only good for that round and a player would have to meet or beat it to continue to the next round. If you don't set a cut line for the next round then there isn't one, the original one doesn't carry over.

I hope I'm understanding what you're trying to ask.

• WolfApel
    3,204 Posts
    Wed, Jun 12 2019 3:36 PM

Clearly, I don't understand how they work here as that is why I was asking the question in the first place.

Anyway, I got a partial answer as the reason that I asked was because my CC has a current tournament with a cut line in round two of within 20 strokes. The creator of the tournament meant it to allow people to play the first two rounds and have to qualify to play the final two. I told him I thought he should have put it in round 3. It turned out that people who played the first round and weren't within 20 strokes are now ineligible to play round 2. This makes sense and jives with how I understand a cut line.

What I still don't understand is what happens if you put a cut line in round one? Why is it even an option? Again, maybe it's just a programming glitch.

Still Having Fun,

Wolf

• jenwren
    2,664 Posts
    Wed, Jun 12 2019 4:44 PM

hey WolfApel,

I have used the cut lines before in comps but not by way of  % it is too confusing.  I use the number of strokes method and in a four round comp, it is used in first, second and third rounds, fourth round is whoever is left. I use to use 15 strokes for first round, 10 for second and 5 for third.  There is no cut line for the last round.

Anyway that is my take on it.

jenwren

• PAGES
RSS