Forums

Help › Forums

putterpal no more

rated by 0 users
Tue, Jun 18 2019 11:50 AM (8 replies)
  • fearlessfly0
    9 Posts
    Fri, Jun 7 2019 9:45 AM

Been playing for a couple of months, mostly on my Kindle 10, the last few weeks have been interesting but not much fun, putpal is far from accurate and is bleeding the fun meter, is there a problem with software ? There isnt any problem from my Kindle as far as I can tell. Any help would be nice, playing more on Rory Mc for the time being.

• BOZskills
    387 Posts
    Fri, Jun 7 2019 5:35 PM

Mr fearless,i also play on a fire 10, love it. Holding the game in my hands and doing all the action with my hands rather than just clicking a mouse makes it seem more real,mho. Now to your problem,not sure weather you're referring to putterpal or the power tip meter. I'll start with the latter. The power tip meter is only a suggestion of how much power is needed on any given putt. There are many variables which cause it at times to be way off,these can only be learned thru experience. Putterpal on the other hand requires some calculations when using it based on green speed. There are many helpful threads in these forums on how to do these type of calculations. Hope this helps,good luck!

• borntobesting
    9,605 Posts
    Fri, Jun 7 2019 11:22 PM
    Putter pal is only as accurate as your calculations. If they are right then putter pal is deadly accurate but if they are wrong then putter pal is bad. When did you make master? Master green speed is much faster than that tour pro and you need to make adjustments.
  • borntobesting
    9,605 Posts
    Fri, Jun 7 2019 11:22 PM
    Putter pal is only as accurate as your calculations. If they are right then putter pal is deadly accurate but if they are wrong then putter pal is bad. When did you make master? Master green speed is much faster than that tour pro and you need to make adjustments.
  • Robert1893
    7,651 Posts
    Sat, Jun 8 2019 6:35 AM

fearlessfly0:

Been playing for a couple of months, mostly on my Kindle 10, the last few weeks have been interesting but not much fun, putpal is far from accurate and is bleeding the fun meter, is there a problem with software ? There isnt any problem from my Kindle as far as I can tell. Any help would be nice, playing more on Rory Mc for the time being.

One of the things you might want to do is look at some threads that discuss putting calculations. As noted above, as you go up in tiers, the speeds of the greens are faster. Here are some links to check out:

Gary Pinhunter's website (link is to the page on putting):

https://shortgrass123.wixsite.com/pinhunters/gs-wind-putting-program

Note the multiplier in the upper-right hand corner of the spreadsheet. (Scroll down to see spreadsheet screen shot.) You don't need to use the program, but you should be aware of the multipliers that apply at each level. (By the way, other players have variations.)

Here's a very good thread on discussing putting on championship greens:

http://www.wgt.com/forums/p/395375/2732164.aspx#2732164

I understand that you're not on championship greens yet. But there's some really good information in that thread that you should find useful. On page 4 of the thread, a player (BPeterson8256) provides his multipliers for various greens:

http://www.wgt.com/forums/p/395375/3456848.aspx#3456848

With all calculators, you need to remember to adjust for elevation (i.e. whether the putt is uphill or downhill). For every inch of height variation most will add/subtract one foot for distance (for example, 2 inch uphill = + 2 feet in distance). 

My calculations are a little different. When I first started playing, I saw someone post that he added 2 feet to the putt and then did the calculations. That seems to work for me. So, here are my calculations:

Distance of putt + 2 feet +/- for elevation then multiply distance by:

11 Greens: .73

12 Greens: .67

13 Greens: .635

On shorter putts, however, I tend to hit them a lot harder to take some of the break out. In any case, if I had a 15 foot putt that's 2 inches uphill, here's what the calculation (for me) would look like:

15 + 2 + 2 = 19 foot putt

11 Greens: .73 x 19 = 14 foot putt

12 Greens: .67 x 19 = 13 foot putt

13 Greens: .635 x 19 = 12 foot putt

By the way, the numbers above are pretty much the same thing you would get from Gary's calculator.

Disclaimer: I'm not a great putter. I'm pretty average. So, check out the above threads as well as what others have stated about putting and distance control. But the stuff I posted above is not stuff I came up with. The numbers I got from others who are much better putters than I am. I wish I could remember who I got my multipliers from so I could give proper credit. But I can't remember. 

The real bottom line, however, is that every player needs to find what works best for him or her. If any of the above is helpful and works for you, great! If it's not helpful or doesn't work, then discard the advice. 

Best of luck! 

• andwhy67
    2,816 Posts
    Tue, Jun 18 2019 4:45 AM

BOZskills:
    Holding the game in my hands and doing all the action with my hands rather than just clicking a mouse makes it seem more real,mho.

Well I use my iPad on occasions, mostly for credit videos all i seem to do is use my left hand to swing and my right finger to try to hit the ‘ding’.

How’s that more realistic/different than using a mouse?

Unless you swing your Fire 10 while your doing it...

• Robert1893
    7,651 Posts
    Tue, Jun 18 2019 8:43 AM

andwhy67:

BOZskills:
    Holding the game in my hands and doing all the action with my hands rather than just clicking a mouse makes it seem more real,mho.

Well I use my iPad on occasions, mostly for credit videos all i seem to do is use my left hand to swing and my right finger to try to hit the ‘ding’.

How’s that more realistic/different than using a mouse?

Tend to agree.

Holding it in my hands and doing all the action with my hands has never really seemed more realistic. 

• andwhy67
    2,816 Posts
    Tue, Jun 18 2019 9:11 AM

Robert1893:

Holding it in my hands and doing all the action with my hands has never really seemed more realistic. 

Ok, I’m gonna try it, see what happens

• Robert1893
    7,651 Posts
    Tue, Jun 18 2019 11:50 AM

andwhy67:
    Ok, I’m gonna try it, see what happens

I would say let me know what happens, but I really think I"m good not knowing! ;-) 

RSS