Forums

Help › Forums

how can I get better?

Mon, Jul 8 2019 10:26 AM (41 replies)
  • Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Tue, Jun 4 2019 6:20 PM

@ItsTooSweet

Didn't say it was "sage" advice. Simply noted it's not horrible advice. Don't need to discuss it with Tour Champions to decide that I stand by what I wrote. 

There's whole lot of distance between horrible and sage, yes? 

By the way, there's no need to get snarky about it. I simply disagreed with you. Nothing more than that. And I thought my response was respectful. 

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Tue, Jun 4 2019 6:38 PM

ItsTooSweet:

DoctorLarry:
    You need to get proficient with the starter equipment before even considering moving up to better clubs and/or balls.

That is horrible advice. If you want to waste your time playing crappy golf then you should take this advice.

I don't care who you are or how you got there.  That was sound advice.  I did not say you must play with starters forever - just until you are proficient.

It is a waste of credits to upgrade clubs when you can't play the ones you already have - whatever you have.

I took my own advice and am still learning - with the best equipment I can get now.  I'm no TC, but then again, I have been here about 16 months, not 48 months.

Maybe you could discuss that with your CC members during your next red-tee tournament....................

• ItsTooSweet
    149 Posts
    Tue, Jun 4 2019 9:21 PM

Robert1893:
    Didn't say it was "sage" advice. Simply noted it's not horrible advice. Don't need to discuss it with Tour Champions to decide that I stand by what I wrote. 

Well Robert we agree on something, it isn't sage advice at all. If it's not sage advice, then why are you defending it?

Robert1893:
    There's whole lot of distance between horrible and sage, yes? 

Do you routinely give advice somewhere between horrible and sage, but you don't dole out the sage advice?

I didn't think you would be posting a winning scorecard, or post any top players espousing your guy's starter club theory. There's a reason for that.

Robert1893:
    By the way, there's no need to get snarky about it. I simply disagreed with you. Nothing more than that. And I thought my response was respectful. 

No one is attacking you personally Robert, just the "horrible advice."

I'm not one for publicly trashing someone's playing ability but, disrespectful is a guy with a 67 avg and a one putt average in the 30's, arrogantly giving playing advice and wrongly accusing legit people who have earned their spot.

DoctorLarry:
    I don't care who you are or how you got there.  That was sound advice.

If you don't care then maybe you shouldn't be giving playing advice. It's sound advice if you want to suck for the longest period of time possible.

I took my own advice and am still learning - with the best equipment I can get now.  I'm no TC, but then again, I have been here about 16 months, not 48 months.

If you take my advice you would be a Tour Champion in a year. 

DoctorLarry:
    Maybe you could discuss that with your CC members during your next red-tee tournament....................

Once again you have no idea what you're talking about Clown. Post your proof that I am a red-tee player. I'll wait genius. I'll give you ten sleeves of balls to post your proof.

I moved to the back-tees when I reached master, genius. I also switched to championship 13 greens at the same time. I started playing on the mobile platform and the only way to get champ 13 greens on mobile was to setup a CC tournament. That's why I have my CC you moron. Post your proof then, liar. It's impossible because it doesn't exist.

Look at my score history genius. It's all ready go's. I've earned my spot you pathetic liar. Why don't you tell everyone how you can have a 38% one putt and a 67 average, just like you. Usually I would never go after a player like this but you deserve it you lying arrogant piece of .... You''ve got no business posting playing advice.

BTW: after consulting with all the members of my prestigious country club, we have uniformly decided that any member could easily whip your ass at this game.

Mic Drop!

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Tue, Jun 4 2019 10:09 PM

ItsTooSweet:
    Mic Drop!

More like ball drop.

Have a nice day...............sweet............

• HackWilson1930
    1,437 Posts
    Tue, Jun 4 2019 10:23 PM

Obviously Chris (ItsTooSweet) has played a lot of WGT golf (Level 115 Tour Champion with $1,521.73 winnings in 4 years). From comments made on Chris's WGT Profile page he is generous.

Also obvious is that Robert has been a vocal supporter of WGT (Almost 5,000 forum posts in 4 years) while being a quality player (Level 107 Champion).

That these two players with WGT memberships of the same age got to this place in differing ways also seems obvious since they seem to be advocating differing opinions.

All this proves is that there are many roads leading us through the fairways and to the greens that we all so love. I know that I can never be fmagnets or WalkOfLife but I go out and play every day. And I come to the forums every day hunting for the postings such as this one where Robert and Chris and DoctorLarry challenge each other in debates about how to improve as WGT golfers.

Don't you just love this GAME!

• ItsTooSweet
    149 Posts
    Tue, Jun 4 2019 11:12 PM

DoctorLarry:

More like ball drop.

Have a nice day...............sweet............

Your dreaming DoctorLarry, you got served. All I hear is crickets. Post your red-tee proof DoctorLarry. Still waiting... Looking through score histories it looks like the only guy who might be playing red-tees is you.

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Wed, Jun 5 2019 6:06 AM

@HackWilson1930

Well said! 

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Wed, Jun 5 2019 6:32 AM

ItsTooSweet:
    Well Robert we agree on something, it isn't sage advice at all. If it's not sage advice, then why are you defending it?

Because it's good advice. Like I said, there's a whole lot of distance between horrible and sage. And something doesn't need to be at the positive extreme to defend it. If you prefer to see life as more binary, that's fine. Oftentimes, I see gradations. 

ItsTooSweet:
    Do you routinely give advice somewhere between horrible and sage, but you don't dole out the sage advice?

I don't characterize the advice I give. I just give it and hope it's helpful. Sometimes, it hits the mark; other times, not so much. Nevertheless, it's not for me to determine the quality of my own advice. I let others do that, if they want to take the time. 

ItsTooSweet:
    I didn't think you would be posting a winning scorecard, or post any top players espousing your guy's starter club theory. There's a reason for that.

The reason is simple: I didn't say a person could score well with starters. I said a player could learn a lot about the game while playing starters. What a person learns isn't captured by a scorecard.

ItsTooSweet:
    No one is attacking you personally Robert, just the "horrible advice."

I didn't say you were attacking me. I said you were snarky, and it's unnecessary. 

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Wed, Jun 5 2019 7:10 AM

ItsTooSweet:
    Why don't you tell everyone how you can have a 38% one putt and a 67 average, just like you. Usually I would never go after a player like this but you deserve it you lying arrogant piece of .... You''ve got no business posting playing advice.

You do understand that someone can know what to do or how to do something and still not be able to execute it in a highly proficient manner, yes? 

Indeed, some of the greatest teachers or instructors are not those who are the best at the game or their profession. For example, I'm a very good teacher (going by course evaluations by both teachers and my peers), but I'm a mediocre (at best) researcher. The fact that my research production is mediocre does not mean I'm unqualified to teach others how it should be done correctly.

On the flip side, some of those who are truly gifted can, at times, struggle to teach others about what they do. Stereotypically, great researchers make lousy teachers. They tend to have difficulty explaining what they do in a way that others (who lack their intellect) can understand. Metaphorically, they don't know how to bring the cookies down to the bottom shelf. 

I remember a story about Reggie White when he was at Philadelphia. A couple of the other defensive players wanted Reggie to teach them one of his moves. He simply couldn't do it so they would understand. (I heard the story on the Mike and Mike podcast a long time ago. But it stuck with me.)

tl;dr It's false logic to conclude that someone has to play very well in order to give proper advice. 

• carlosdev
    2,528 Posts
    Wed, Jun 5 2019 7:30 AM

Robert1893:

ItsTooSweet:
    Why don't you tell everyone how you can have a 38% one putt and a 67 average, just like you. Usually I would never go after a player like this but you deserve it you lying arrogant piece of .... You''ve got no business posting playing advice.

You do understand that someone can know what to do or how to do something and still not be able to execute it in a highly proficient manner, yes? 

Indeed, some of the greatest teachers or instructors are not those who are the best at the game or their profession. For example, I'm a very good teacher (going by course evaluations by both teachers and my peers), but I'm a mediocre (at best) researcher. The fact that my research production is mediocre does not mean I'm unqualified to teach others how it should be done correctly.

On the flip side, some of those who are truly gifted can, at times, struggle to teach others about what they do. Stereotypically, great researchers make lousy teachers. They tend to have difficulty explaining what they do in a way that others (who lack their intellect) can understand. Metaphorically, they don't know how to bring the cookies down to the bottom shelf. 

I remember a story about Reggie White when he was at Philadelphia. A couple of the other defensive players wanted Reggie to teach them one of his moves. He simply couldn't do it so they would understand. (I heard the story on the Mike and Mike podcast a long time ago. But it stuck with me.)

tl;dr It's false logic to conclude that someone has to play very well in order to give proper advice. 

Well said, Robert !!!!! :) :) 100% agree !! 

- Carl 

RSS