skip nav

Forums

Not VEM - is this a bug?

rated by 0 users
Sat, May 18 2019 1:01 PM by DoctorLarry. 9 replies.
  • godelescher United States
    635 Posts
    Sat, May 18 2019 4:24 AM

Aiming for left-center cut 310 yds out

No spin on the ball.

280 yd driver.

Hit the ding.

This is what happened...

http://www.wgt.com/replay.aspx?ID=91c26292-6f4a-4bcc-bd91-aa5100b9ba06

Looks like the ball was topped and shanked. I have no explanation for this. Couldn't have hit it any better under more ideal conditions.

Digg
    Delicious
  • DodgyPutter United Kingdom
    3,276 Posts
    Sat, May 18 2019 5:49 AM

You mean this ?

It looks fine to me, just you didn't allow enough for the wind.  Is a carry of 265 unusual for that driver with no back spin?

Digg
    Delicious
  • Robert1893 United States
    4,866 Posts
    Sat, May 18 2019 6:21 AM

@godelescher

I agree with DodgyPutter. I don't see an issue with what happened. It's definitely not a topped ball or a shank. On that hole with that wind, you need to aim further left than what it appears from the tee. 

Digg
    Delicious
  • YankeeJim United States
    24,382 Posts
    Sat, May 18 2019 6:23 AM

godelescher:
    No spin on the ball.

It looks like you just caught a bad deviation compounded by the wind direction. Using back spin on your driver will lift it and it carries farther so you probably carry that trap.

I use a Titleist ball and put 3/4 bs on most drives-it's what gets the most carry based on the TopTracer data.  See for yourself by opening that box and then try the different spins on your drive.  :-)

Digg
    Delicious
  • godelescher United States
    635 Posts
    Sat, May 18 2019 6:37 AM

With 11-13 wind from 8 O'clock, with a Chrome soft ball, and on a level fairway with no spin, my driver carries 275-280+

265 is short.

Ball trajectory was low and flat

With no spin, I expect this drive to move 5-10 yds right. It started off right and finished 30 yds right of my aiming line.

If this is deviation, it's the worst I've ever seen and I've been playing this game for 10+ years. I think it wasn't deviation. I think it was a glitch

YankeeJim:
    I use a Titleist ball and put 3/4 bs on most drives-it's what gets the most carry based on the TopTracer data.  See for yourself by opening that box and then try the different spins on your drive.  :-)

Jim, I guess you don't remember me or my walkthroughs. It's been a long time. I have a very thorough understanding of this game's mechanics and limitations, but thanks for the advice anyway.

I'm not trying to whine too much about hitting a good shot that turned out bad (still birdied it), just throwing it out there that this was beyond the usual parameters for deviation.

Digg
    Delicious
  • DodgyPutter United Kingdom
    3,276 Posts
    Sat, May 18 2019 7:30 AM

I'm just throwing possibilities out here, not saying it did happen.  If you (accidentally) don't take the meter all the way up, even if it's to 99%, the ball flight is notably lower.

Scott, please :-)) 

Digg
    Delicious
  • Robert1893 United States
    4,866 Posts
    Sat, May 18 2019 7:33 AM

godelescher:
    Jim, I guess you don't remember me or my walkthroughs. It's been a long time. I have a very thorough understanding of this game's mechanics and limitations, but thanks for the advice anyway.

While I have no doubts that's true, YJ is correct. 

Digg
    Delicious
  • borntobesting United States
    8,066 Posts
    Sat, May 18 2019 8:01 AM
    Or you may have accidentally added top spin which has a flatter trajectory and Doesn’t always roll as much as you might think. And if I remember correctly the Cally 33 did some strange things the few times I hit my driver with topspin.
    Digg
    Delicious
  • lonniescott711 United States
    3,892 Posts
    Sat, May 18 2019 9:16 AM

godelescher:

With 11-13 wind from 8 O'clock, with a Chrome soft ball, and on a level fairway with no spin, my driver carries 275-280+

Heck I can get those distances with the rock . Kiawah is an iffy course especially with the par 5`s . Even though its a fun course to play . Maybe time to upgrade some of your clubs . A better driver is always a plus . At the same time no matter the club some deviation or bad programming will always change your game .

Digg
    Delicious
  • DoctorLarry United States
    1,779 Posts
    Sat, May 18 2019 1:01 PM

My wind drift calculator - which has proven fairly accurate over the past - indicates a drift of nearly 30 yards for that wind on Kiawah.  Your shot started out further right than I would likely hit with little to no wind, and just had no room for error.

YJs comment about spin is in the right direction.  Backspin on this shot would have definitely increased the carry since it has some tail wind.  I also have found that full spin - back or top - will reduce wind drift about 20% for my equipment (mostly the ball) - which I also account for.  Wind on ocean or bay courses, and places like Wolf Creek can create additional variance in wind speed and direction at impact.

Digg
    Delicious
RSS