Forums

Help › Forums

WTF????

rated by 0 users
Wed, May 15 2019 10:17 PM (23 replies)
  • TheCarGuy
    17 Posts
    Wed, May 8 2019 12:01 PM

I very much enjoy this game but I feel like just never playing it again. I feel like it knows I've spent money on the game, BIG money, in the past and it is attempting to make me spend more money to get better. I switched to the Titleist Pro-V1x balls and my game got considerably better. Not where it was before, but better. I am a Master level but my scoring average has creeped up to almost 78. It is mostly due to putting issues. Well, I purchased a sleeve of the Pro-V1x balls and it seemed like it helped my putting. When I ran out, I really didn't want to spend that much on balls so I has some MAX balls in inventory so I used those. Now I'm missing 1 ft putts! It's rediculous! I mean, a dozen of these fake, cartoon balls costs more than a dozen REAL ones! The micro transactions are just too expensive IMHO. 

While we are on the subject, I played a guy yesterday that had a 68 scoring average and he was a level 56 and still a Tour Pro. I'm a Level 55 and shoot 78 and am a Master. He freaking murdered me on distance and accuracy. 

I dunno. I enjoy the game but I don't miss 2ft putts in real life and I don't shoot in the high 70's. I'm pretty much automatic on anything 6ft in and my handicap is 18. 

Any thoughts on ball and club selection that you think will help me that won't cost as much as REAL clubs and balls?

• adrob2
    591 Posts
    Wed, May 8 2019 12:48 PM

The Callaway lvl 33, 34 and 35 balls are all very good and reasonably priced.  Balls all putt the same (supposedly).  Of course a slower meter ball may be helping you ding it more and putt better and your current max ball definitely has slower meter than the balls I mentioned above.  When I'm missing short ones it's usually because the putt needs to be hit a little more firmly.  I take a little break out and hit it firmer, hope that helps.

• Lute345
    2,483 Posts
    Wed, May 8 2019 1:03 PM

Well Car Guy, after checking out your stats I'm rather surprised you've only played 201 Ranked Rounds in just under 10 years, which leads me to believe you don't play very often. So I don't think the golf ball is the issue. You only hit the greens 63% of the time so that would be where I would concentrate my efforts. And regardless if you really don't want to spend any additional money on equipment, it does appear as though your golf bag could use an upgrade, which isn't something you need to do all at once.

All of us have spent plenty of cash on this website to have bought several new sets of real clubs so don't be alarmed at what WGT charges for golf balls and equipment. The majority of good players have spent more than they care to let on as well.

But I would suggest practicing a lot more before you do anything, especially your short game. If you can improve your Greens in Regulation % you should be able to score much better. And I hope you're open to a little constructive criticism because there is plenty of that here on the forum pages!!

Lute

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Wed, May 8 2019 1:52 PM

First - putting is not affected by the golf ball except for meter speed.  You can putt with the starters as well as with the 1000-credit balls.  Save your money and play with much cheaper balls until you master the clubs and balls.  

You need a lot of practice - that is what makes one better playing this game.  In this respect it is like RL.  You can take a hack in RL and give them the best balls and clubs and they are still a hack.  Play is what teaches us.

The approach shot to the green is one of the most important shots in golf - work on that.  Getting on the green in regulation and getting close to the hole will lead to easier putts and lower scores.  Of course, putting usually accounts from 40-50% of shots - depending on the putting skill.  At least we have putting greens to practice that.  Other shots you can work on in practice mode at your favorite course/hole - using the mulligan to figure out the right shot for each situation.

GL.

• SlickHunter
    1,034 Posts
    Wed, May 8 2019 1:56 PM

There are days that nothing goes right, even yard length putt is sometimes difficult. What I like about this game, its very challenging, and not easy to master.

• TheCarGuy
    17 Posts
    Wed, May 8 2019 7:11 PM

I appreciate the replies. I don't mind criticism at all. I do have questions, though. How do I get on practice mode. I don't see that option. I see the putting green mode and I will start using that one more. 

• AlaskanDame
    18,964 Posts
    Wed, May 8 2019 9:12 PM

Play by yourself.  Pick a course (not a tournament).  Pick “stroke play.”  Rotate the top selection from “ranked” or “scored” to “practice.” Then set tee length, wind, and putting speed as you wish.  You will be offered mulligan option after your shots.  This takes more hits off your ball. . . 

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Wed, May 8 2019 9:36 PM

I would not be concerned about upgrading clubs until you consistently break par off your current tees with your current clubs.  Otherwise you will become even more frustrated that clubs were not the answer.... 

Set goals to work on... fairways hit,  greens in regulation... eliminate 3 putts..  etc  if you can improve those kind of areas then you would be able to see the difference with better clubs.

I also would stick with one ball, the cheaper the better.  I used the l11 srixon on the master tee boxes and it was sufficient.  It also played reliably well for a modest price.  

Unless you know how a ball plays with your clubs... changing it up a lot searching for something better without learning landing zones, carry distance will constantly keep you guessing because every ball plays different based on wind elevation and amount of spin.

There are tips and calculations for playing winds and putting and everything in between... read the forum, search things you can use to improve, and practice... 

There is lots to read in the forum and even tutorials on youtube... start with one thing at a time and then focus on another after you get it down.

• Ezzy123450
    209 Posts
    Thu, May 9 2019 4:56 AM

if I may offer a suggestion?

Get on Twitch (http://www.twitch.com) and start watching the players there who stream WGT Golf.

There are some incredible players there.  some will talk to you in chat, and some do not (like WGT JoeMaverick and Fmagnets).  but if you find the right people (Young46, Walk0flife, among the best) they will help you out with your game as well.

Cheers,

Ezzy (OMP_Cyclops on twitch)

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, May 9 2019 5:25 AM

TheCarGuy:
    How do I get on practice mode

When you set up a stroke play game you have the option to make it a practice round. Use the arrows where it says GAME MODE to move from Ranked to Practice.

RSS