Forums

Help › Forums

Getting better, or worse

rated by 0 users
Wed, May 1 2019 10:12 PM (2 replies)
  • fearlessfly0
    9 Posts
    Wed, May 1 2019 1:36 PM

Been playing for a coup[le of months, got some better clubs, even better balls, but I seem to be getting worse at using my irons, my putter assist doesn`t seem to be working correctly, my putts seem to stop 1,2 inches from cup, but at same time I am getting walloped by players at 10, 15, 20, 25 level, with them using standard clubs & balls, I just don't get it.

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Wed, May 1 2019 6:28 PM

fearlessfly0:

Been playing for a coup[le of months, got some better clubs, even better balls, but I seem to be getting worse at using my irons, my putter assist doesn`t seem to be working correctly, my putts seem to stop 1,2 inches from cup, but at same time I am getting walloped by players at 10, 15, 20, 25 level, with them using standard clubs & balls, I just don't get it.

I would first recommend that you play a number of games outside of tournaments often, instead of never.  In addition, this game takes a lot of practice - playing in practice mode and testing out shots to see how far they go under various conditions.

There is no need to get better clubs or balls until you have learned to play the starters - or whatever you have at a given time - very consistently.  

You can find quite a few posts in the forums about "mapping" your clubs and balls - a process in practice mode where you hit the ball over and over, using different clubs, different shot types, and differing spin, and recording how far they go.  There are also quite a few posts on hitting each type of shot, bunkers, roughm etc., and even more on putting.  Read these and make some notes and apply them as you play.

I also keep some notes as I play, since each course plays differently and even different holes on a course vary as to distance and wind effects.

It all takes time and practice!

Practice and see shots start to go where you want and putts start to drop - have fun!

• alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Wed, May 1 2019 10:12 PM

fearlessfly0:
    my putts seem to stop 1,2 inches from cup
    This is a frequent complaint. Solution: Hit it a foot or two stronger.

I don't know what keeps your scores up, you'd have to assess the elements of your game. A general question might be, "What hinders me from playing Par?"

You're invited to post such questions here if you like.

Your equipment looks quite good for a TP. Nevertheles, you might consider to ditch the Hybrid and get a third, short(!) wedge of 50 or 60 yds.

RSS