Forums

Help › Forums

Chipping on the greens (A poll)

rated by 0 users
Tue, Apr 30 2019 10:05 PM (23 replies)
  • gerryniswonger
    1,890 Posts
    Fri, Apr 26 2019 9:48 AM

In the official "Rules of Golf" there is no mention of when and where which club you choose to use is banned.  Therefor using a wedge of the green is allowed.

I charted the distances that my wedge will go (It was a difficult process) and now have confidence on the distances.  They are particularly helpful on very long putts because they don't break quite as much.

Here is my problem.  When I use it some players accuse me of cheating and that doing it is illegal.  Then they quit and won't play me again.

Poll question;  Should the shot be used or not?

• andwhy67
    2,816 Posts
    Fri, Apr 26 2019 9:49 AM

gerryniswonger:

In the official "Rules of Golf" there is no mention of when and where which club you choose to use is banned.  Therefor using a wedge of the green is allowed.

I charted the distances that my wedge will go (It was a difficult process) and now have confidence on the distances.  They are particularly helpful on very long putts because they don't break quite as much.

Here is my problem.  When I use it some players accuse me of cheating and that doing it is illegal.  Then they quit and won't play me again.

In the Rules of Golf, so allowed

• Robert1893
    7,652 Posts
    Fri, Apr 26 2019 10:03 AM

It depends. 

• fourdude
    1,311 Posts
    Fri, Apr 26 2019 10:16 AM

I have no problem what so ever with a player using a wedge on the green, it is just like any other shot in this game.

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Fri, Apr 26 2019 10:29 AM

YES! Absolutely legal to do and comes in handy at times.....

I seldom use it but have on occasion to save a few strokes LOL....

Those that call it cheating do so because they don't know how to use it....

• Robert1893
    7,652 Posts
    Fri, Apr 26 2019 11:26 AM

fatdan:
    Those that call it cheating do so because they don't know how to use it....

Not necessarily.

A person may know how to use the shot and still call it cheating. They would be wrong because it's not cheating. But just because they call it cheating doesn't mean they don't know how to use the shot. It's not that difficult of a shot to figure out. 

• SlickHunter
    1,034 Posts
    Fri, Apr 26 2019 11:52 AM

Who cares what anybody says, game allows it, use it, it’s a video game. They want to play real golf, go to the golf course. 

• Robert1893
    7,652 Posts
    Fri, Apr 26 2019 12:03 PM

SlickHunter:

Who cares what anybody says, game allows it, use it, it’s a video game. They want to play real golf, go to the golf course. 

Can't disagree with that! Seriously, I agree. 

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,468 Posts
    Fri, Apr 26 2019 1:03 PM

gerryniswonger:

I am a "purist" so I always putt and never chip on the greens. There are circumstances in which I wish I could, the 17th hole at St. Andrews for instance where you've got to deal a horribly long putt when the second shot to the green is missed short and your putt has to traverse some fringe & fairway, and then back to the green again. I would still putt even in that situation.

IRL golf I don't either because I know almost all the staff in my CC including marshals, green-keepers, caddies and so on, and I don't want to leave any extra works for them to keep the greens nice and neat, but that's a different story.

Now that's just me so if I saw a green-chipper, I wouldn't call him/her a cheater for that although I wouldn't recommend it personally.

There are always a whole bunch of losers seeking whatever excuses to justify their inferiority and defeat, like those who constantly and obnoxiously whine about mobile players having this advantage and that over PC players. Somebody accusing you of cheating for doing something entirely legitimate to the rules? Just laugh it off and you know what? You should do it more whenever you can in their face!

Don't let them ruin you enjoying your game. Good luck.

• gerryniswonger
    1,890 Posts
    Fri, Apr 26 2019 1:44 PM

Thanks for all the input.  I guess when they whine and quit it's good riddance.

RSS