Forums

Help › Forums

30 second free monthly and weekly tournaments

Mon, Apr 22 2019 9:41 PM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Maurice25
    15 Posts
    Sat, Apr 20 2019 10:59 PM

Please WGT make available 30 or 45 second free tournaments for us that dont require the use of calculators and spreadsheets . I want to thank the pros that made available the putt calculators to the playing public , you sure have ruined the game . It would certainly give probably half the players incentive to enter those tournaments , who in turn would lose balls and wgt  could sell more . Just a suggestion , its getting pretty ridiculous though , i bet ur top guys wldnt even enter a 30 second tournament . There is no reason a shot should legitamately take any longer than that , unless your doin the math and geometry . Which , by the way , wasnt fun in school , isnt fun on Wgt  , and adversely affects the integrity of the players and the platform . I guess ill join draft kings and atleast have asluggers chance at a win every now and then , theres no chance for me here between the aiders and cheaters . Posting videos using cheat aids and acting like they are the top players of the game . Ha , top windows office tools user . 

• DoctorLarry
    4,275 Posts
    Sun, Apr 21 2019 11:31 PM

Well, Maurice25, you are just wrong about that.

First - most of those "top guys" can and do play with 30-45 second clocks and never miss a beat.  They can play faster than that and will beat most of us with their eyes closed.

Second - you will not see the top pros and caddies on the tour with a computer in the bag, but they have plenty of notes and do plenty of mental calculations while playing.

No one forces anyone to use calculators and some play very well without aids - just experience and feel.  All it really takes is some understanding of the game and practice and practice and practice.....

I see you made Legend a couple of months ago - that is a whole new ball game with longer tees and faster greens.  It takes a long time to adjust and there are Legends who have been at that tier for years - and have gotten good over that time.

Just play for fun.  You can set up match play with shot clocks - so do that.  Just have fun.

• borntobesting
    9,605 Posts
    Mon, Apr 22 2019 4:12 AM

Maurice25:

Please WGT make available 30 or 45 second free tournaments for us that dont require the use of calculators and spreadsheets . I want to thank the pros that made available the putt calculators to the playing public , you sure have ruined the game . It would certainly give probably half the players incentive to enter those tournaments , who in turn would lose balls and wgt  could sell more . Just a suggestion , its getting pretty ridiculous though , i bet ur top guys wldnt even enter a 30 second tournament . There is no reason a shot should legitamately take any longer than that , unless your doin the math and geometry . Which , by the way , wasnt fun in school , isnt fun on Wgt  , and adversely affects the integrity of the players and the platform . I guess ill join draft kings and atleast have asluggers chance at a win every now and then , theres no chance for me here between the aiders and cheaters 

Those top players can and do play 30 second matches and play just well without their spreadsheets. And if WGT did make a 30 second tourney the top players would still enter and win.  

But the question is why are you worrying about the top players who are either Champions or Tour Champions. Unless you are entering the premium weekly multi round tourney you aren’t even playing against the top players.

And to insult the top players like you did is in poor taste. 

• middbrew
    318 Posts
    Mon, Apr 22 2019 7:38 AM

Maurice25:

I guess ill join draft kings and atleast have asluggers chance at a win every now and then . 

You do realize the top winners at DraftKings are using spreadsheets and computer programs to create algorithms to win don't you? And unless you do the same your sluggers chance won't even make it out of the infield.

As mentioned already, the top players will still win even with a 30-45 clock. The best bet is to just play the game and enjoy it the way you want. It's easy enough to do that with the variety of options to play this game.

• Maurice25
    15 Posts
    Mon, Apr 22 2019 2:14 PM

I believe your underestimating the value of the spreadsheets and shot aids . 

• Maurice25
    15 Posts
    Mon, Apr 22 2019 2:47 PM

I beg to differ . Yes I understand why players use spreadsheets and algorithms for draftkings . I dont understand why they re ruining this game with them . To be good at something for once in their life , i assume . If the options are already so bountiful then a 30 second timed weekly tournament shouldnt bother anyone , unless of course you use spreadsheets and shot aids . PGA players have 5 minutes a shot , why do wgt guys need 90 seconds ? Does the PGA allow range finders ? If we re comparing this to real golf . Im just simply asking to level the playing field with an option to win some credits . 

• Maurice25
    15 Posts
    Mon, Apr 22 2019 2:52 PM

How is being told you are a top office tools user  an insult ? I appreciate the work that went into their being so good  . I m not sure you understand the value of those shot aids and spreadsheets . Some top players would enter and win . most would not . could not . 

• DoctorLarry
    4,275 Posts
    Mon, Apr 22 2019 6:04 PM

Maurice25:

How is being told you are a top office tools user  an insult ? I appreciate the work that went into their being so good  . I m not sure you understand the value of those shot aids and spreadsheets . Some top players would enter and win . most would not . could not . 

First - please quote someone if there is any doubt as to which post you are responding to.  Three separate replies are not required.

We know well how the "shot aids and spreadsheets" work and what "value" they are.  I don't think you uderstand what it takes to develop your own calcs - for most, it means doing the hard work of a lot of practice and developing an understanding of how the virtual game works, combined with an understanding of golf.  The aids build up a feel (like in RL golf), that you draw on when playing.  I developed a spreadsheet and I have begun playing more and more without it to check my learning.  It works - I play much better now, without my aids, than I did before developing them.

How many top players have you watched play on twitch or via their posted youtube videos?  I have watched quite a few playing multiple types of games, either single player, or match play, A/S, skins, etc., as well as practicing.  Most play their shots so fast, you cannot keep up with them.  

Most top players WOULD still win, playing w/o their external aids.  Feel free to challenge any of them to a match with a 30-sec shot clock - but you will need to pony up some credits, maybe 500+ to get any interest in a 0-hole match.

The insult is that you are making the claim you repeated - that most top players could not play fast (w/o their "aids) and win.

• DoctorLarry
    4,275 Posts
    Mon, Apr 22 2019 6:11 PM

Maurice25:
    If the options are already so bountiful then a 30 second timed weekly tournament shouldnt bother anyone , unless of course you use spreadsheets and shot aids . PGA players have 5 minutes a shot , why do wgt guys need 90 seconds ? Does the PGA allow range finders ? If we re comparing this to real golf . Im just simply asking to level the playing field with an option to win some credits . 

See - we/I don't care if WGT implements tourneys with 30-sec shot clocks.  Better players don't take that long on a shot anyway.

I think you missed the point about how much survey work and notes the PGA players and caddies do.  Do they use range finders - no, not during the tournament, but the caddies and many players know the distances from anywhere they might be on the course they are playing.  They have also practiced so much, they have essentially a database of what shots go how far in what conditions.  That is RL in pro golf.

Anyway - what works best in this game is to practice a lot and keep good notes of what happens.  That is also what the pros do!

• borntobesting
    9,605 Posts
    Mon, Apr 22 2019 8:18 PM
    Actually they can use range finders in practice so they basically know the distance from just about any spot on the course. And you will see them pace off a distance from a known spot if they are on a spot they haven’t encountered before.
  • PAGES
RSS