Help › Forums

Downhill & uphill

rated by 0 users
Wed, Apr 17 2019 9:45 AM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • gerryniswonger
    1,890 Posts
    Mon, Apr 15 2019 2:31 PM

I know EXACTLY how far every one of my clubs will go on with a flat shot and no wind.  Attention WGT programmers  On Pebble Beach's 10th hole I'm 173 from the hole, the shot is 5 feet downhill and there is no wind.  I hit the shot 172 yards but it goes 181!  Why?

This is not a one time so called VEM.  Every time I play this hole I have to subtract 8 yards from the distance.

Once again, what is wrong with the program and how can players possibly factor in this anomaly? 

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Mon, Apr 15 2019 2:48 PM

gerryniswonger:

Every time I play this hole I have to subtract 8 yards from the distance.

Once again, what is wrong with the program and how can players possibly factor in this anomaly? 

Even in my short time here (about 14 months), I have learned that courses play differently and some holes play different.  I kept notes and make adjustments as I find these differences.

If my shots consistently go long or short, I adjust.  For example, if my shot always went, say 8 yards, short on a hole, I just hit it 8 yards less than shown.  That's just me, however.

And I know VEM happens, but I am not paranoid about it.

Sometimes I have more fun not calculating a required distance, I just hit it so it feels good.  Sometimes that works better than crunching numbers!!

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Apr 15 2019 3:56 PM

gerryniswonger:
    This is not a one time so called VEM.  Every time I play this hole I have to subtract 8 yards from the distance.

I'd call that learning something. That hole has played downhill and short from day 1. I would have hit a 7i (165) myself, spin vs wind to control rollout. 

DL's point about holes playing different is very true. BPB #1 is a good example--it plays long. PB#10 is another. Trust what you're seeing.  :-)

• twinponds169
    3,018 Posts
    Mon, Apr 15 2019 4:12 PM

I would be quite amazed, after 8 years, 10,000 games, 119 levels and the tier of Champion.......

that this could be the only hole in the game that does not play true to your math and clubs?

• gerryniswonger
    1,890 Posts
    Mon, Apr 15 2019 4:53 PM

DoctorLarry:

if my shot always went, say 8 yards, short on a hole, I just hit it 8 yards less than shown.

Of course that's what I do already.  My point is that I shouldn't have to!

• gerryniswonger
    1,890 Posts
    Mon, Apr 15 2019 4:53 PM

DoctorLarry:

if my shot always went, say 8 yards, short on a hole, I just hit it 8 yards less than shown.

• gerryniswonger
    1,890 Posts
    Mon, Apr 15 2019 4:55 PM

twinponds169:

that this could be the only hole in the game that does not play true to your math and clubs?

Definitely Not.  I just used this as an example.

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Mon, Apr 15 2019 7:24 PM

gerryniswonger:

DoctorLarry:

Glad to hear that. 

Is someone else supposed to hit it for you?

• gerryniswonger
    1,890 Posts
    Tue, Apr 16 2019 2:00 AM

This has been a friendly post.  Why the insult?

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Apr 16 2019 5:50 AM

gerryniswonger:

C'mon, Gerry, what kind of golf thinking is that? You know as well as I do that each hole has its own character. Some are no mind, some are quirky and some are something else. Why does every pro have a pocket full of notes in their little book? That isn't all just distances from landmarks, it's also the hole quirks-plays long, plays short, stay left, stay right,  etc.

The point is you know you can't just trust whatever numbers a spreadsheet says to use, you have to use your golf smarts and I know you have them.  ;-)

• PAGES
RSS