Forums

Help › Forums

chip, pitch, flop, etc and putting

rated by 0 users
Sun, Apr 14 2019 7:30 PM (3 replies)
  • AnnaMichelle0
    1 Posts
    Sun, Apr 14 2019 3:39 PM

when I use 80% power and my ball goes 3 inches theres a bit of a problem, perfect lies im sorry... also no way to stop a pitch shot either... 90% of my pitch or chip shots either go nowhere (using less power to compensate for shorter distance) or they go rolling down the green.... so unrealistic 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Apr 14 2019 6:21 PM

I'll bet you see a differnce in those wedges you're renting.  :-)

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Sun, Apr 14 2019 6:28 PM

AnnaMichelle0:

when I use 80% power and my ball goes 3 inches theres a bit of a problem, perfect lies im sorry... also no way to stop a pitch shot either... 90% of my pitch or chip shots either go nowhere (using less power to compensate for shorter distance) or they go rolling down the green.... so unrealistic 

Yes, with the cheaper balls and the starter clubs, you can't really stop the ball. But at this stage, you really just need to be focusing on learning the game. After you level up some more, you'll find there is equipment that will providing the stopping power you need.

In fact, the Cleveland wedges around Level 30 are absolute game changers. Couple those clubs with a decent ball (for example,, the Callaway Chrome Soft Level 33), and I think you'll be amazed at the difference. 

But you have to level up a bit first. Just be patient. 

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Sun, Apr 14 2019 7:30 PM

AnnaMichelle0:

Good points above.

As you play more, you will not only be able to get better clubs and balls (if you choose), but you will find that %power does not equate to %distance.  In other words, 80% power will not get you 80% of the distance you would get with 100% power on most every club but a putter.

Pitching and chipping, bunkers, and rough all compound the issue of power vs distance.  Also, if you read up a bit on the forums, you will find more detail about how the lower-level equipment has a built-in larger variance in behavior for any given shot.  Starter equipment is notorious for major difference in landing points for a given shot - that is the nature of learning the game.  Most people have to practice a lot and learn by doing how far a particular shot will go - including the effects of wind, lie (fairway, tough, sand, fescue, brush, etc), elevation changes, clubs, shot types, and %power.  I have spent hours mapping how far different shots go for the clubs I have and the ball I play for different conditions.

Anyway, it gets better as you play and learn.  

RSS