Forums

Help › Forums

Are most putts downhill?

rated by 0 users
Sun, Apr 14 2019 7:19 PM (4 replies)
  • Saratogan
    67 Posts
    Sat, Apr 13 2019 5:28 PM

is it just me or are most putts downhill?  I have a downhill putt that I putt past the hole and my putt back is also downhill.  Is this even possible?  I have been keeping a mental tab and I think that 60-70% of putts I am presented with are downhill.

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Sun, Apr 14 2019 2:36 PM

Saratogan:

is it just me or are most putts downhill?  I have a downhill putt that I putt past the hole and my putt back is also downhill.  Is this even possible?  I have been keeping a mental tab and I think that 60-70% of putts I am presented with are downhill.

On average, 50% of putts are downhill.  Guess what the other ones are?

Anyway, don't just rely on the aimer elevation.  The elevation changes direction on many, especially longer, putts.  It may go up and down before it gets to the aimer.  Thus, your first putt may have been downhill until the last part, when it went up some.  So, when you go back the other way, the aimer may be sitting lower than your location.

The putting grid colors also show relative elevations - darker bues higher than lighter and both higher than oranges and reds.  

• Gepetto1958
    4,220 Posts
    Sun, Apr 14 2019 3:50 PM

It's called management. You have to manage your approaches to find yourself with uphill putts by knowing each green. My putts are uphill 60-70% time ;-)

• Safdar1
    454 Posts
    Sun, Apr 14 2019 4:30 PM

DoctorLarry:

On average, 50% of putts are downhill.  Guess what the other ones are

As utterly reasonable as that sounds - its not true. Not in this game if you look at what the blue aim marker is telling you. 

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Sun, Apr 14 2019 7:19 PM

Safdar1:

DoctorLarry:

On average, 50% of putts are downhill.  Guess what the other ones are

As utterly reasonable as that sounds - its not true. Not in this game if you look at what the blue aim marker is telling you. 

There is no way to know for sure, because no one records this.  Even the ones that read 0 on the aimer are either up or down something less than 0.5 inch.  I think we tend to remember the downhill ones the most since they usually cause the most trouble.

Better players will avoid the uphill side of the hole on approach shots, so more of their putts will be uphill than many of the rest of players (like me) - as Geppeto stated above.

Anyway, it is not worth arguing a point that can not be proven.

RSS