Forums

Help › Forums

Remember when

Tue, Mar 26 2019 4:02 AM (32 replies)
  • twinponds169
    3,018 Posts
    Mon, Mar 25 2019 11:45 AM

borntobesting:
    Every day  but Saturday. On Saturday they had live studio wrestling from 11:00 PM to 1:00 Am. 

Ah yes, the good old days.....the Champ Bruno Sammartino, Dominic DeNucci, Chief White Owl, Nicolai Volkof. Johnny Valentine, brings back memories.

• Nicole161106
    281 Posts
    Mon, Mar 25 2019 12:06 PM

In Britain they played the anthem at close down. It also went off air for a few hours in the afternoon.

I remember with the old sets with the big dials you could fiddle around with them and listen to  the emergency services channels.

A lot of folk also rented sets that worked with the coin slot meter, the guys who came to empty them had to separate the actual coins from washers, buttons and any foreign coins.

The aerials were a mixture of actual ones, like the rabbit ears, to modified coat hangers, ours was this strange, about  6ft high, narrow aluminium thing and if the picture was no good you had to walk around with it to a better position.

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Mon, Mar 25 2019 3:19 PM

Ladychipper:

This was our first computer.  Do you remember these?  TRS-80 Model III

I remember using the "Trash 80" but I got my decked-out Apple ][+ in 1980 (still have it - maybe that is why my meter is a little wonky?)

• Ladychipper
    22,684 Posts
    Mon, Mar 25 2019 4:09 PM

DoctorLarry:
    I remember using the "Trash 80" but I got my decked-out Apple ][+ in 1980 (still have it - maybe that is why my meter is a little wonky?)

We have come a long way haven't we?  :-)

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Mon, Mar 25 2019 4:37 PM

Standing outside with a pipe wrench, Mom in the kitchen window and Dad in the living room yelling out to turn the antennae, we had 2 channels Buffalo and Erie. During a snow storm you had to turn the antennae to get one you could barely see and hear. The wheat back penny, I have over 200 lbs of them if anyone still cares. The first gallon of gas I ever put into a car was 27 cents a gallon and a pack of camels was  20 cents. I have an old 5 cent crank Coca Cola machine that I will restore some day, has all the original paint with no rust.

Oh yeah, I remember.

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Mon, Mar 25 2019 5:37 PM

Ladychipper:
    We have come a long way haven't we?  :-)

We sure have!

I also still have my first abacus, several slide rules, and several of the early electronic calculators to go with a number of computers that came after the Apple][+.  (I call it my "Museum of Calculational Devices"  Maybe I should just call it "Old Calculational Devices" (OCD) !)

WGT did not play well on any of those!!

• Ladychipper
    22,684 Posts
    Mon, Mar 25 2019 6:13 PM

What about cell phones?  I found this interesting.  Weird looking phone.

https://www.foxnews.com/tech/the-first-mobile-phone-call-was-placed-40-years-ago-today

• BogeyOne
    1,965 Posts
    Mon, Mar 25 2019 7:21 PM

These were so expensive that none of my K12 schools could afford the current set. They were lucky to have them any newer than 5 years back. The University of Washington, from where I graduated, did keep a current set if I remember correctly.  I guess that was the difference between a county budget and a state budget.

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Mon, Mar 25 2019 7:59 PM

BogeyOne:

Ww would use those in the library - we had Funk & Wagnalls at home!  They are just decorative items now!

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Mon, Mar 25 2019 8:05 PM

Ladychipper:

What about cell phones?  I found this interesting.  Weird looking phone.

https://www.foxnews.com/tech/the-first-mobile-phone-call-was-placed-40-years-ago-today

Yes - they were not very mobile then - and quite heavy.  First mobile phone I used was one of the so-called "bag phones" - carried it in the car for work, but did not use it much as calls were very expensive.  Looked something like this:

RSS