skip nav

Forums

Once again WGT

Mon, Mar 18 2019 4:23 PM by opyeuclid. 65 replies.
  • DodgyPutter United Kingdom
    3,384 Posts
    Mon, Mar 18 2019 3:08 AM

HenryKawa:
    I had over 30,000 credits at one time, which I acquired by watching videos and doing surveys so it cost me nothing to play for the last 7 years. 

Why would "a self made millioaire" do surveys at a couple of $'s an hour? Anyway doing suveys/watching video's is paying to play every bit as much as doing a job, getting paid and spending some of it here. 

I suppose it is possible to play for free but it isn't possible to compete with others, on any meaningful level, for free.

Digg
    Delicious
  • JZoll2 United States
    6 Posts
    Mon, Mar 18 2019 4:49 AM

Guess it depends on your definition of  "meaningful level"...

compete with others for free (win some, lose some). In the process, I make new friends and enjoy the competition. That's meaningful enough for me.

Digg
    Delicious
  • Robert1893 United States
    5,142 Posts
    Mon, Mar 18 2019 6:53 AM

DodgyPutter:
    Anyway doing suveys/watching video's is paying to play every bit as much as doing a job, getting paid and spending some of it here. 

Actually, no it's not. Not even close.

When I'm just relaxing and watching TV, I can be clicking on videos without devoting any thought or time to the process. That's nothing like "doing a job."

At least, it's nothing like any job I've ever had. I've never had a job (where I got paid) in which I simply watched TV, drank coffee, and clicked on a screen. 

Digg
    Delicious
    3,384 Posts
    Mon, Mar 18 2019 7:56 AM

Robert1893:

DodgyPutter:
    Anyway doing suveys/watching video's is paying to play every bit as much as doing a job, getting paid and spending some of it here. 

Actually, no it's not. Not even close.

You're right Robert, but then you always seem to know that. 

Here was me thinking I'd watched these ad's and done these surveys to get credits and it was time consuming and a pain.  Obviously I was wrong.

I also thought calling performing a service for a company who profit financially from that service, and give you some form of payment, was generally called "work". 

But mostly you're right as I described what happens here as similar to what happens in a real job and that was wrong.  In a real job you, usually, get paid money and can chose what to spend it on and here you get company scrip.

Robert1893:
    At least, it's nothing like any job I've ever had. I've never had a job (where I got paid) in which I simply watched TV, drank coffee, and clicked on a screen. 

Henry has when he was doing surveilance work :-)

More seriously, is it always the case that enjoying, or not disliking, your job means it's not work?

Digg
    Delicious
    5,142 Posts
    Mon, Mar 18 2019 8:17 AM

DodgyPutter:
    You're right Robert, but then you always seem to know that. 

Typically, when I post, I post about things I know about. If I don't know it, I either won't post or will ask questions. So yes, things I know I'm right about, I do know that I'm right about them! :-) 

Nevertheless, I have no problems admitting when I'm wrong. Indeed, I have admitted when I'm wrong.

DodgyPutter:
    More seriously, is it always the case that enjoying, or not disliking, your job means it's not work?

It's like the old saying about selecting a major in college. Pick a major you really like, and you'll never work a day in your life...

Because you'll be unemployable! :-)

But seriously, folks....

With any job, there are aspects of it that a person will dislike. I think I have one of the best jobs there is. Indeed, my first few years in it, everyday, I woke up and felt like I hit the lottery.

Even so, there's aspects of it I find frustrating and even absolutely hate. That doesn't mean, however, that I dislike my job. And the fact that I very much like my job doesn't mean it ceases to be work. It's still work. I just enjoy it. 

The question is does it take up time during the day. Yes, obviously, it does. But watching videos, from a practical perspective, takes no time. In other words, there is no cost to me. 

That's the question: does it cost something. The question is not whether it's work or not.

Digg
    Delicious
  • fatdan United States
    3,332 Posts
    Mon, Mar 18 2019 10:54 AM

DodgyPutter:

Why would "a self made millioaire" do surveys at a couple of

s an hour?

Wellll that's easy, the key words are "self made", unlike people who win, inherit, or were born into money, a "self made" person in very conscious of his money, he invests it wisely, always weighs every financial situation to a fault, or would rather push a few button on their mobile phone while watching a ball game,

They/we can't help themselves, it is something you acquire over the years...that's why they have A LOT of money!

There are those who would say you make more working at a fast food restaurant, but why, their already set for life financially....

Hope that helps....

Digg
    Delicious
    3,384 Posts
    Mon, Mar 18 2019 12:35 PM

Robert1893:
    That's the question: does it cost something. The question is not whether it's work or not.

Robert I know, as you've mentioned it quite often, that you're a proffessor and therefore should know what the question is.  That said what I said was that it was work and you disagreed so I'm going to stick with that as the question.

To answer the question you made up "does it cost something?", Yes it does cost me something, time and effort (I'll ignore electricity, wear and tear etc).  If it doesn't cost you the same then fine but that doesn't give your opinion the position of universal truth.  You ignore surveys, although possibly they can be done while blow drying your hair or some such so aren't work either.

Digg
    Delicious
  • DoctorLarry United States
    2,372 Posts
    Mon, Mar 18 2019 2:05 PM

What is the point of arguing about "free" credits?

Do them if you want, don't do them if you please.

The point about self-made "millionaires" (not so much money these days!) is true.  People that work hard and save do watch their money.  If they don't - someone else will!

Anyway - let's just play a game and have fun!

Digg
    Delicious
    5,142 Posts
    Mon, Mar 18 2019 2:21 PM

DodgyPutter:
    That said what I said was that it was work and you disagreed so I'm going to stick with that as the question.
    Not exactly. What you wrote was this:

That's what I disagreed with. 

DodgyPutter:
    If it doesn't cost you the same then fine but that doesn't give your opinion the position of universal truth. 
    LOL! I never made any claims as to anything being universal truth. I simply stated the obvious: clicking on videos while watching TV is not "every bit as much as doing a job, getting paid and spending some of it here." 

DodgyPutter:
    You ignore surveys, although possibly they can be done while blow drying your hair or some such so aren't work either.
    Yes, I did ignore the survey part of your post. I apologize for that oversight.

I suppose I ignored them because I really don't do too many surveys these days. With me, it goes in cycles whether I attempt surveys or not. Those are difficult to do while doing other things. 

Regardless, I'll address them now. On those, you are correct. :-) 

Digg
    Delicious
RSS