Help › Forums

Bunker spin is in reverse mode.

rated by 0 users
Fri, Mar 15 2019 5:01 AM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Lupas56
    13 Posts
    Mon, Mar 11 2019 10:48 AM

As amazing as I find the game I am a little confused trying to understand how come shots from the sand have forward spin (it can roll 20 yds, insane!!!!) when in reality they have backward spin, even more, they have a huge backspin. We all know how suddenly stops a ball from a bunker in real life. Is there a way to fix this in within this great game? Thanks.

• Robert1893
    7,651 Posts
    Mon, Mar 11 2019 3:11 PM

Lupas56:
    As amazing as I find the game I am a little confused trying to understand how come shots from the sand have forward spin (it can roll 20 yds, insane!!!!) when in reality they have backward spin, even more, they have a huge backspin. We all know how suddenly stops a ball from a bunker in real life. Is there a way to fix this in within this great game? Thanks.

Bunker play is probably one of the most criticized aspects of the game. Personally, I think the criticism is a bit misplaced.

Yes, at times, playing out of the bunkers can be unrealistic. But some aspect of the game has to be penal. And I believe it's more accurate to refer to the ball having no spin rather than having top spin or forward spin. But that's neither here nor there. 

The best one can do is learn how to play out of them. I think the chart in the post below (see link) is quite useful. If you look at my post below it in that thread, my sand save percent used to be less than 25%. My percent is a bit higher now that we're 3 years later. :-) 

http://www.wgt.com/forums/p/79642/2575679.aspx#2575679

• Lupas56
    13 Posts
    Mon, Mar 11 2019 4:09 PM

Much appreciated.

• Robert1893
    7,651 Posts
    Mon, Mar 11 2019 6:51 PM

You're very welcome. 

• LLLlloyd88
    175 Posts
    Tue, Mar 12 2019 9:07 AM

I always thought the sand play on WGT was fairly realistic. If the green is sloped towards you it will stop within a couple of yards. If it's sloped away, not much of a chance. I've seen PGA players deal with the same problem when it's sloped away.

• Robert1893
    7,651 Posts
    Tue, Mar 12 2019 9:16 AM

LLLlloyd88:

I always thought the sand play on WGT was fairly realistic. If the green is sloped towards you it will stop within a couple of yards. If it's sloped away, not much of a chance. I've seen PGA players deal with the same problem when it's sloped away.

Fairway bunkers aren't realistic. It's been discussed at length. 

• DoctorLarry
    4,275 Posts
    Tue, Mar 12 2019 7:43 PM

Robert1893:

LLLlloyd88:

Fairway bunkers aren't realistic. It's been discussed at length. 

Ummm.  I agree with both of these posts.  

Fairway bunkers rarely involve the green and vice versa.  Did I miss something?

• AIMTOPLEZE
    557 Posts
    Thu, Mar 14 2019 12:44 AM

Ha!,,You joking right?...WGT will not fixing anything..No back spin from bunker shots..Like Pitching out of the rough,,It wont stop..unless you into the wind...Good Question..i wonder myself..I have asked before,,I got no answer..If you get a great answer..Please pass it on..I'm sure there is a lot of like to know..

• Robert1893
    7,651 Posts
    Thu, Mar 14 2019 9:41 AM

AIMTOPLEZE:
    Ha!,,You joking right?...WGT will not fixing anything..No back spin from bunker shots..Like Pitching out of the rough,,It wont stop..unless you into the wind...Good Question..i wonder myself..I have asked before,,I got no answer..If you get a great answer..Please pass it on..I'm sure there is a lot of like to know..

Basically, a player just needs to factor in the rollout. Also, don't get short sided with the green sloping away. Play smart and safe. There are times when a player might have to give up the realistic chance at a birdie to ensure par. 

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Thu, Mar 14 2019 2:37 PM

Robert1893:

AIMTOPLEZE:

Basically, a player just needs to factor in the rollout. Also, don't get short sided with the green sloping away. Play smart and safe. There are times when a player might have to give up the realistic chance at a birdie to ensure par. 

+1

Greenside bunkers with not much green and a downslope are almost automatic bogeys. It's called course management, folks.

• PAGES
RSS