Forums

Help › Forums

A Ruler for Measuring Wind Drift

Fri, Dec 18 2020 2:04 PM (57 replies)
  • DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Tue, Mar 12 2019 8:05 AM

el3n1:

Sounds good.  I was simply noting even with the ruler you reference i have noticed the width changing from  player viiew during a round after setting the script.  Figured WGT was just trying to keep things fluctuating... lower winds its no big deal u get up to 20 and 30 crosswinds and it makes bigger difference.

Hmmm.  I had not noticed that but maybe I should be checking it during play.  Sometimes my misding is so bad that I wonder if it even matters!!

• crmamx
    369 Posts
    Tue, Mar 12 2019 8:28 AM

kavvz:

There are many ways.  I just use the aimer box = 10 yards.  

Which is what many of these on screen rulers do.  it's just a quicker way to aim, although if you watch mags play the opposite is true.  :)

True, so do I. But I started this thread looking for a ruler to use when you encounter the 25-35 mph winds.

The young46 ruler will not work with Windows X:P Pro. But the Ruler for Windows works perfect.

But the difference for me is young46's program comes with 3 support files, one of which is a ruler.gif. It is a picture of a ruler. I had hoped to change that to compass.gif, a picture of a 360 degree compass that I could use to measure the angle of the wind sock. The Ruler for Windows does not have a supporting .gif file so I am out of luck there.

I am tempted to go back to the Autohotkey program and try all the ways Scott mentioned in his posts. But it is a lot of work and I am lazy.

Curtis

• crmamx
    369 Posts
    Tue, Mar 12 2019 8:32 AM

goldeena:
    You can always be creative and make your own - mine is scalable because it is done in 'custom desktop logo' and it is scaled to the height of the actual flagstick itself - I make a note on the scaling factor for each flag in my WGT notebook and adjust it for the approach and flag at hand.

Could you tell me how you created this "cross-square"?

Curtis

• borntobesting
    9,623 Posts
    Tue, Mar 12 2019 10:46 AM

The ruler for Windows that Don put the link for is in Pixels. I could see no way to change it to inches. I tried every option and it is just pixels. 

.For what I want a ruler for it must be in inches. 

• crmamx
    369 Posts
    Tue, Mar 12 2019 1:09 PM

borntobesting:

The ruler for Windows that Don put the link for is in Pixels. I could see no way to change it to inches. I tried every option and it is just pixels. 

For measuring wind drift it does not matter if the rules is in inches, ft, yds, mm, cm, or miles per hour. To start with you have to know the size of the aiming box and it can vary with the camera view and certainly does for certain courses.

The 10 ft aiming box at Kiawah and Pinehurst measures 53 graduations on the ruler. Call it ft or miles, it doesn't matter. Therefore 1 graduation = 5.3 and a 34 ft wind drift would = 180.2 graduations.

Curtis

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Tue, Mar 12 2019 1:52 PM

borntobesting:

I have seen the JRuler used by various players and I believe it can be changed to inches.  

• ScottHope
    10,086 Posts
    Tue, Mar 12 2019 2:18 PM

You can use any picture of a ruler with young46's autohotkey files.

Save a picture of one off the web, or make your own if you're handy with a graphics program.

Here's two I made earlier..

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Tue, Mar 12 2019 2:32 PM
    Kat's calculator has a ruler on it. I have never used it and don't have it. I got it for my new players and deleted it
  • borntobesting
    9,623 Posts
    Tue, Mar 12 2019 10:44 PM

DonCaron:
    Kat's calculator has a ruler on it. I have never used it and don't have it. I got it for my new players and deleted it

Don I have Kats calculator and have used it for 4 years or so. It has no ruler. It does have a compass for wind direction 

RSS