Forums

Help › Forums

A Ruler for Measuring Wind Drift

Fri, Dec 18 2020 2:04 PM (57 replies)
  • crmamx
    369 Posts
    Thu, Mar 7 2019 5:54 PM

ScottHope:
    What happens when you double click the ruler.ahk file?

When I double click the file it opens in notepad because that is how I told it to handle a .ahk file so I could use it as an editor.

If I right click and tell it to open with Autohotkey it tells me there is an error on line 1 of the script.

Scott, I think you are right. I don't think it will work with Windows XP and it seems to work for everybody else. I hate it because I really wanted what it does. I even envisioned doing a compass row to overlay the windsock to get an exact angle of the wind.

I guess I will have to keep using the blue rectangle as a ruler.

Thanks for your help.

Curtis

• ScottHope
    10,094 Posts
    Fri, Mar 8 2019 8:12 AM

crmamx:
    When I double click the file it opens in notepad because that is how I told it to handle a .ahk file so I could use it as an editor.

It shouldn't open for editing when you double click it. It should make the ruler appear in the middle of your screen. Right clicking on it and trying to open it that way with AutoHotKey isn't the right way to use it, I don't think. When I do that, it throws an error and the ruler doesn't appear.

When you double click the ruler.ahk file it needs to open with AutoHotKey, can you change what you did so it opens with AHK instead of notepad?

Can you post a picture, or describe what your ruler.ahk file icon looks like?

• giraldin
    3,712 Posts
    Fri, Mar 8 2019 8:40 AM

DonCaron:

If you have window 10, get a ruler for windows from the store. It's free

Specifically, which rule application do you mean? Is it in play store? Do you have a specific name?

giraldin

• crmamx
    369 Posts
    Fri, Mar 8 2019 9:46 AM

ScottHope:

Can you post a picture, or describe what your ruler.ahk file icon looks like?

There is no icon for ruler.ahk. It simply exists in a file along with ruler.gif and rulers.ico.

When I try to open it with Autohotkey it says:

Error at line 1.

Line text: <!DOCTYPE html><html xml:lang="en" class="maestro" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"><head><script nonce="bEJX2TbNCm2O9Iv4/5L4">

Error: This line does not contain a recognized action.

Curtis

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Fri, Mar 8 2019 10:37 AM

Windows Store.

Its called "A Ruler for Windows"

• siggipj76
    2,989 Posts
    Fri, Mar 8 2019 10:49 AM

A ruler for windows also comes in multi colour , 1 is " see thru" , handy for not moving it all the time.

• ScottHope
    10,094 Posts
    Fri, Mar 8 2019 1:34 PM

Can I get you to try one more thing Curtis, provided you haven't uninstalled AHK yet.

Open notepad, and in notepad, type this on one line...

msgbox hello world

...now save it, but, save it with whatever name you want, but it must have an .ahk extension, for example...

test file.ahk

...also, underneath the filename entry field, there is a save as type option, make sure to select all files from the options.

Close notepad, then find that file in windows explorer and double click on it.

What happens, anything?

• crmamx
    369 Posts
    Fri, Mar 8 2019 2:15 PM

ScottHope:
    Can I get you to try one more thing Curtis, provided you haven't uninstalled AHK yet.

Whoops! It is gone already.

I am investigating another program named Fastfox which appears to do the same thing and supports Windows XP. With the sample download i was able to insert a .gif file in Microsoft Word but I couldn't move it around.

I emailed their customer support and I'll let you know what they say.

Curtis

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Fri, Mar 8 2019 3:06 PM

Here's his video on setting it up.  I think it should get you squared away with the ruler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1NEqjqKadQ

• jabonic
    854 Posts
    Fri, Mar 8 2019 4:16 PM

hpurey:
    Here's his video on setting it up.  I think it should get you squared away with the ruler.

I used this video a long time ago off of Jason's profile page and if you just follow the instructions it is pretty easy to get.

RSS