Forums

Help › Forums

A Ruler for Measuring Wind Drift

Fri, Dec 18 2020 2:04 PM (57 replies)
  • crmamx
    369 Posts
    Thu, Mar 7 2019 7:29 AM

young46 has a YouTube video showing how to get and install an Autohotkey program that creates a 6 inch ruler you can move around on the game screen to measure the amount of the calculated wind drift. It requires a download of 3 files that create the ruler and the download of the Autohotkey program.

I downloaded the 3 files to a folder and downloaded and installed the Autohotkey program.

I can't get it to work. There has to be a way to tell Autohotkey the files I want it to use.

When I double click the program it tells me:

"Before AutoHotkey can do anything, you need to write a script telling it what to do.
    To learn how, read the tutorial or dive straight in."

I can't figure it out.

If I right click the ruler.ahk (autohotkey) file and tell it to open with Autohotkey program I get a script error.

Any help would be appreciated.

Curtis

• ScottHope
    10,012 Posts
    Thu, Mar 7 2019 9:06 AM

Curtis, while viewing the three ruler files in windows explorer, if you right click in the window (not on any of the three files) and you get an 'extract all' option in the menu, click that. Then in the new window that opens, double click the ruler.ahk file and that should make the ruler appear for you.

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Thu, Mar 7 2019 9:12 AM

If you have window 10, get a ruler for windows from the store. It's free

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Thu, Mar 7 2019 9:33 AM

DonCaron:

Be careful with this angle.  This is one of those cases where any old ruler won't do.

Young's ruler is very specific in its size and configuration.  i.e. 10 cm (or Inches, or increments) on the ruler exactly matches the width of the aimer box.  

If you downloaded a ruler and used it blindly without taking that into account you could be aiming more/less than you think you are.  

• crmamx
    369 Posts
    Thu, Mar 7 2019 11:47 AM

ScottHope:

Curtis, while viewing the three ruler files in windows explorer, if you right click in the window (not on any of the three files) and you get an 'extract all' option in the menu, click that. Then in the new window that opens, double click the ruler.ahk file and that should make the ruler appear for you.

When I right click I get:

View

Arrange Icons by:

Refresh

Undo Copy

New.....one of the options is AHK script

Properties

Guess it could be that I'm running Windows XP Pro

Curtis

• ScottHope
    10,012 Posts
    Thu, Mar 7 2019 12:54 PM

Hmmm, okay.

I've never used Auto HotKey before so I don't know if it's compatible with Win XP Pro.

What happens when you double click the ruler.ahk file?

• andwhy67
    2,816 Posts
    Thu, Mar 7 2019 1:55 PM

Young46 has a tube vid somewhere showing and telling what to open and how to adjust the size!

• DoctorLarry
    4,275 Posts
    Thu, Mar 7 2019 2:59 PM

ScottHope:

What happens when you double click the ruler.ahk file?

When I do that, it opens the ruler and displays it (WIN 10).  I think that is all I had to do after extraction.

BTW - you can toggle the ruler display on/off with the F1 function key - which is defined in the script.

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Thu, Mar 7 2019 3:04 PM

kavvz:

DonCaron:

Be careful with this angle.  This is one of those cases where any old ruler won't do.

Young's ruler is very specific in its size and configuration.  i.e. 10 cm (or Inches, or increments) on the ruler exactly matches the width of the aimer box.  

If you downloaded a ruler and used it blindly without taking that into account you could be aiming more/less than you think you are.  

This red line is adjustable. You click on the ruler to the size you want

RSS