Forums

Help › Forums

Wind strengths and distance chart...

Sat, Jan 13 2024 8:29 PM (124 replies)
  • navigater
    1,319 Posts
    Sat, Aug 13 2011 8:20 AM

True it helps some,But if you don't know what the carry distance(where the ball lands before roll out) is.You can be vary disappointed .

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Aug 13 2011 9:37 AM

navigater:
    if you don't know what the carry distance(where the ball lands before roll out) is.You can be vary disappointed .

So true and a big reason for a lot of WTFs?  

• roidrage03
    399 Posts
    Mon, Aug 15 2011 8:03 PM

marbo79:

trumpy959:

The wind speed in MPH above the line is for straight on, or straight against scenarios. The % of adjustment below the line corresponds to the number directly above it,  to either be added or subtracted as needed.  Diagonal winds need a bit of imagination and experimentation.  For example a 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock breeze (or visa versa) needs no additional yardage added if your plan is to ride the full effect of the wind and DING your shot. This is an easy approach that works well for me. Of coarse various irons and ball combinations play a factor, as well as elevation and green speed. With my current equipment full backspin or topspin equals an additional loss or gain of approx. 4%, which can further be used to fine tune your shot.

5         7        10        12         15        17        20     (MPH)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2         3         4          5           6          7          8     (% of adjustment )

150 yard w/ 17 MPH headwind ( 150 + 7% = 160.5 )

150 yard w/ 17 MPH tailwind  ( 150 - 7% = 139.5 )  

I use a similar system of apreciating wind brake, The difference it is that I divide the wind strengh by 2 and I add or substract from yardage. That give close results to yours. For crosswinds I use inspiration:p.

What works for me at least 90% of the time:

For each 3 MPH headwind/tailwind - add/subtract one yard to length needed.

For each 3-feet of elevation change - add/subtract one yard

However, this does not work on some holes or in some circumstances (such as heavy winds).

• andystevenson163
    1 Posts
    Fri, Aug 19 2011 10:28 AM

Thanks that really helped my play

• ichiang
    16 Posts
    Tue, Oct 25 2011 1:05 PM

has anyone come up with another chart like this or updated this one?

• Mesmorizer
    614 Posts
    Wed, Oct 26 2011 3:23 PM

I just wanted to post, thanks so much for finding and posting this. I have used this Wind guide since I found it and it is a wonderful guide. To anyone who thinks its a bible it not but as a general guide it is awsome and will help you develop your skills and get you closer to the pin. When playing I have this open and a calculator. I use both when I need to and helps a ton.

Thanks,

Mes.

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Wed, Oct 26 2011 3:35 PM

With the wind and it's randomness,(sometimes it's there, sometimes it is not)  I don't know how accurate anyone can formulate the wind.  But hey, to each there own.

I play by feel

Hp

Its almost like the wind is gusting at one point and settles down the next, but the wind indicator only shows the max readout for the shot.

• LeonDelBosque
    1,551 Posts
    Fri, Nov 4 2011 10:56 AM

ichiang:

has anyone come up with another chart like this or updated this one?

Yes, after months of thorough scientific testing and the help of hired consultants, I distilled all the data into this highly accurate formula:

wind speed               effect

0-5 mph                   a little

6-10                          a little more

11-15                        careful

16-25                        whoa

25+                            hold on to your hat / visor

40+                            WD

• genorb
    1,255 Posts
    Fri, Nov 4 2011 11:10 AM

That's FUNNY! Really... Still laughing while writing :) 

• SGTBilko
    1,686 Posts
    Fri, Nov 4 2011 11:16 AM

I like this formula better

RSS