15,367 Posts
    Mon, Feb 11 2019 5:39 PM

Was he the Belle of the Ball?

Gotta see pics!

• alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Mon, Feb 11 2019 9:41 PM

gherkinhead1:
    in 1247 my Great Grandfather built the Bell on the 18th hole at St Andrews - Scotland?

Looking at the date, you must be of a "Highlander" family - four generations spanning 770 years...

And I presume that there wasn't a golf hole in 13th century St Andrews - it rather started there in the 15th century(?). Also, they played 22 holes in the Olde Days...

Last but not least, I (and Google) never heard of a bell at the 18th...

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Mon, Feb 11 2019 10:18 PM

alosso:
    Last but not least, I (and Google) never heard of a bell at the 18th...

Me neither and probably well from intent? BUT anyway:)

There is a bell street and also an old cathedral ..................As you will know often in old countries there is a reason for the names other than simply an export, and so .......I don't know anymore there.  For instance though my old town, Romford.: Saxon for wide ford (river), and maybe why chartered as a market town since 1300s..............Up the road Colchester (Roman colony  castle after Boudica revolted but see where from name wise)..................York maybe from Yew tree (Celtic) and hence anyone from New York.................I think it interesting:)

• whooshdangit
    1,246 Posts
    Tue, Feb 12 2019 1:29 AM

Hi Guys

There is a bell ringing somewhere on the 18th, in the game anyway.
    A very nice drive there from Rory, not as long as this one though. Bell or no bell, it went like the clappers!

St Andrews 18th Tee to Kiddies play area

Jimbog1964:

For instance though my old town, Romford.: Saxon for wide ford (river), and maybe why chartered as a market town since 1300s..............Up the road Colchester (Roman colony  castle after Boudica revolted but see where from name wise)..................York maybe from Yew tree (Celtic) and hence anyone from New York.................I think it interesting:)

Interesting  Jim, as someone who used to live in Blackheath, Romford's had more than it's fair share of wide fords, mostly XR2s or 3s. The tradition goes back a long way.
    Colchester, revolting ? No, never ; ))

Cheers!

Rich

• andwhy67
    2,816 Posts
    Tue, Feb 12 2019 9:35 AM

I'm from Dartford where the river Darent and the old road from London to Dover crossed: hence the name, from Darent + ford.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Tue, Feb 12 2019 12:43 PM

whooshdangit:
    Romford's had more than it's fair share of wide fords, mostly XR2s or 3s. The tradition goes back a long way.

Essex (county) meaning (from memory) East Saxon (peoples) was generally thought of like that:)................Back in the day I too had an XR2 LOL (full turbo tech conversion.  Great fun to drive as gripped like a limpet.  Also had a Peugeot 1.9 GTI (and frikin fast off the bat).......

South London boys I guess had Del Boy :)........Blackheath was quite posh though.  Lovely place in summer without remembering just how many bodies were there (black death plague)

andwhy67:

I'm from Dartford where the river Darent and the old road from London to Dover crossed: hence the name, from Darent + ford

Also Dover Soul (flat fish type).  So called as raced from Dover to London............Dover itself being the waters for trade in Roman times, thus not so much an invasion (leave that alone for here)

I now live in a place called Jannali - Big Moon in Aborigine (possible on hill big moon). Sure enouugh looks one huge moon right at the top of the hill when time is right......

• craigswan
    30,953 Posts
    Wed, Feb 13 2019 6:32 AM

ghost tours of st andrews .

excellent .

The latest encounters in St Andrews…

JANUARY 2019
    Figure walking along the Scores Path toward my tour party at the Haunted Tower. The figure then turned to the left and didn’t reappear. It had walked through the locked iron gate in the Cathedral precinct wall beside the old lighthouse turret.

DECEMBER 2018
    Strange lights in photos by the Haunted Tower, taken by a person on a tour. Also appeared in photos I took at the same location a few nights later when I went down on my own afer a tour.

NOVEMBER 2018
    Ghost of a little girl standing beside St Leonards Chapel

OCTOBER 2018
    The White Lady seen at 3am by a student in Cathedral grounds

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Wed, Feb 13 2019 7:05 AM

This is fact, google it. South of where I was born in Pennsylvania you drive through a town called Blue Ball, then you get to Bird in Hand and then Intercourse, Pa. I am not Amish but they sure had a way of expressing themselves without exposing themselves. Then you get to New Holland. People are happy there.

• whooshdangit
    1,246 Posts
    Wed, Feb 13 2019 7:49 AM

Luvvly Jubbly Jim

Not a Ford person, the Peugeot though was a rocket. A 1.9 GTI too : ) bet you had no trouble with Plod.

Jimbog1964:

South London boys I guess had Del Boy :)........Blackheath was quite posh though.  Lovely place in summer without remembering just how many bodies were there (black death plague)

My dad used to say it was a nice place, you had to go through some sh*t to get there though!

Any excuse for some Del Boy . . .

Cheers!

Rich

• bubbsboy
    6,879 Posts
    Wed, Feb 13 2019 7:53 AM

My great grandfather's sons sons son placed  the last bell at York Cathedral .

He loved cheese triangles for his bait so was known as cheesy bell.

I think it was for that.

RSS