Forums

Help › Forums

PIN HUNTING

rated by 0 users
Mon, Feb 4 2019 4:38 AM (6 replies)
  • MCH2
    36 Posts
    Sat, Feb 2 2019 7:01 PM

On most approach shots I'm usually looking to hole out from near 120 yards or less without regard for the best leave / easiest follow up putt.  The majority of the time, I can leave my approach (at these distances) within 5 to 7 feet of the pin.  Of course there are many variables to this statement, e.g., high winds, severe elevation changes, dangerous greens and putting confidence may affect my decision to go for it or not.

What is your strategy or thoughts on this.

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Sat, Feb 2 2019 7:49 PM

Deleted. Thought better of it. Sorry about that. 

• mega1byte
    768 Posts
    Sun, Feb 3 2019 5:02 AM

Hi MCH2

By all means I am no expert, but from reading a lot of the write-ups in the forums I find once I am in a position to reach the green I switch to view the green under a pitch setup and look at the slopes of the green, usually a up hill putt will give the best shot for sinking the ball for a bird or if lucky enough for an eagle.

It seems with most of the greens being below the hole is best.

I'm sure others have different ideas on how to setup the putt shot from the approach, I hope this helps.

NOW if your looking to just hole the shot out then reverse it and look at the shot on the high side of the hole to drift down to it.

Your stats do show your better at holing a shot out than i am, I've only done it 62 times. 

Hope all this helps.

Mega1byte

• TopShelf2010
    10,880 Posts
    Sun, Feb 3 2019 8:30 AM

• BPeterson8256
    2,907 Posts
    Sun, Feb 3 2019 9:57 AM

MCH2:

On most approach shots I'm usually looking to hole out from near 120 yards or less without regard for the best leave / easiest follow up putt.  

What is your strategy or thoughts on this.

It is a fun question, asking others for their strategy. For me, it is totally situational. Normally I go for everything. I always want the win though (and rarely get one). In most WGT tournaments you will not win unless you make bird or eagle on every hole. Even within the round though, it can become situational. I just finished a 18 hole RG at Wolf Creek. I am not nearly as good on the front 9, so I played mostly for position, just trying to get to about 6 under, which I did. Then I started playing very aggressive, knowing that it would take at least 13 under just to break even. By 18, I was -14, and I once again played for position. It took eagle out of play, but left me with an easy bird to finish.

When I am playing for $$$, I will change strategy depending on the competition. Often times in brackets, I come up against someone that is way better than me. That is a total green light to go for broke. Anything less and I will be knocked out.

My only WGT win since becoming Legend almost 2 years ago, was my first tourney as a TC. It was at Congressional in the weekly multi round open. The front 9 I didn't even think about. I was having one of those rare days where I knew exactly how to hit every approach. I think every hole was a tap in bird without being aggressive. (I played #6 very conservative and missed the long eagle putt). On the back 9, I knew exactly what I needed to score to win, another 9 under. I started playing for position, but after a par on 2, I was forced to go pin hunting. I don't think it really helped though. lol The only hole it payed off was the aggressive drive on 16, allowing me a chance at the green, and the eagle. The rest of the round was only saved by a red hot putter. 

#waymorethanyoueverwantedtoknow

Brett

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Sun, Feb 3 2019 10:19 AM

@BPeterson8256

As usual, great post! 

• SeveFrost
    1,489 Posts
    Mon, Feb 4 2019 4:38 AM

almost all holes i attack the pin, practicing/playing CTTH events helps with your approach shots. one day I'll get round to making notes on the best position to leave the ball on each hole but it's a big job :.)

RSS